A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 298,076
Currently Running With Scissors:
705 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Old Dresser  (Read 1273 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

HardCandy63

Short Attention Span Crafts Since Age Four.

View Profile
« on: February 06, 2004 04:06:10 PM »

My parents savagely re-decorated and i got stuck with the four-drawer all-wood beast that is by dad's childhood dresser. I am covering the drawers with fabric, because i saw the idea on getcrafty.com and totally fell in love with it. The question: what to do with the rest of it? I want the top easily-cleanable, and The sides hould match the top, right? I have a blue-and-white striped room, and my desk is white so it would be cool if it matched, i think. Any ideas what to do?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
flyhunnie7

too cool for the room

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2004 08:39:55 PM »

i think you could paint the dressser a really nice blue, and then instead of throwing on white stripes, make swirls, or circles or some cool, funky pattern and then finish it. and get some cool funky knobs too.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2004 08:40:53 PM by flyhunnie7 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

leftist.feminist.activist.journalist.
TinySoapyBubbles
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2004 07:17:47 AM »

I really like flyhunnies idea ... you can use a big chunky stamp  or a potatoe stmp even. If you are worried about the top you can get plexi pretty cheap. You could even do the top to maceh teh drawer fronts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
miss_mom

Keeping my head above water .... barely!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2004 11:02:29 AM »

Well, it depends if you want to spend any $$$ ...

I think painting the top - maybe doing a combing with a white and blue combination might be good (coordinating w/your walls, etc.) - you could even do something decorative w/some pieces of the fabric on the top. I think glass would be the nicest/easiest to keep clean, or plexiglass would work as well - or paint the top a solid color, and put pictures, etc. under the glass - this way you could always change it. Also, you could make a runner out of the fabric that you are covering the draw fronts with, and have it hang over the sides 6-10".

I had a bad, bad old desk that was wood, but the top was formica - I covered it in contact paper, and it was my craft desk for a long time. There are lots of nice contact paper choices out there now.

I like the stamping idea too - worse case scenario, if you do it and don't like it - you paint over it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  - Thomas Edison
HardCandy63

Short Attention Span Crafts Since Age Four.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2004 03:13:54 PM »

Awesome ideas...i really like the pic thing b/c i have been taking a lot of pictures lately (I live in Muskoka, it's so beautiful in the winter!) maybe I'll do that...but i like the runner thing ans well..humm
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Draw Tidus From Final Fantasy
How To Draw A Cartoon Monster
How to Draw a Three Eyed Monster
How To Draw Elmo
How To Draw Kid Goku
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...