A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,191
Currently Running With Scissors:
741 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cheap beans and grains recipes?  (Read 1952 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lazurii

He did his first LOOK today!

View Profile
« on: April 29, 2008 09:32:57 PM »

I'm trying to get my food budget down to $20 or less a week for my hubby and me.  Beans and grains dishes look like the way to go.  Does anyone have some recipes to share?  Beans and grains can be good, but I need new ideas on flavoring them.  Other cheap ingredients can be used.  We're trying to go vegan, so, yeah.  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Trekky
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008 02:14:12 AM »

This gets me thinking...

Butterbeans with a can of chopped tomato's + herbs + pasta.

Chickpeas served with roast veggies + cous cous (made with veg stock + spices for extra flavour)

There is a start... Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftytrekky.blogspot.com/

I have lots of train tickets (I get the train most days), if anyone wants some for papercrafting just send me a PM Smiley
Lazurii

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008 10:34:06 AM »

Thanks Trekky!

We had chickpea dal with brown rice last night, it was quite good, and cooked up well in the crockpot!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bela-Kiss
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008 05:25:58 PM »

hhmmmm, black bean and rice burritos?
You could try it in a lettuce wrap- not sure if vegan tortillas exist Huh
I like to toast chickpeas and put them in my pastas. It is fairly yummy. Also, Sweet potatoes are yummy. I know it isnt a ban or grain but they are loaded with vitamins.
hmm, I like veg. refried beans, my mom eats them over rice sometimes. Also the other day I had a rice with lima beans, black beans, corn and a few spices. Just experiment with what is on sale. Also, try using coupons. Must have for me bc my mom makes me buy my own veg food and I make next to nothing as a local waitress. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lazurii

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008 04:24:59 PM »

I heart sweet potatoes, they are the BESTEST!

Eh, coupons.  I can usually get store brands for cheaper, or do without.  But I know they help a lot of people out, so I can't knock 'em.

Vegan tortillas exist, or I can make my own.

Oops, gotta go, my son's rolling around without a diaper to air his li'l bum, and I think he peed everywhere....

Sorry for the TMI!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
superXfiction
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008 06:32:17 AM »

my mom makes the best italian three bean chili ever.

just some canned white beans, black beans, and kidney beans with tomato sauce and either diced or crushed tomatoes over cooked borwn rice with lots of basil, garlic, onion, sea salt, fresh cracked black pepper, oregano, an itsy dash of cayenne... -sigh- yum.

she always caramelizes the onions in olive oil first..it's the best.

and the great thing about this dinner is that it is dirt cheap. we always get store brands, and it's even cheaper if you buy dried beans. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
superXfiction
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008 06:33:52 AM »

oh & btw, if i'm not mistaken, brown rice and beans = a complete protein. wich makes it that much healthier.

score.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
superXfiction
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008 06:34:25 AM »

*which

the ol 'h' key is a bit stubborn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bela-Kiss
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2008 07:06:43 AM »

oh & btw, if i'm not mistaken, brown rice and beans = a complete protein. wich makes it that much healthier.

score.

It is. we learned about it in my nutrition class. Actually a lot of the time, whenever you pair a bean/legume/nut with a grain of some sort, it makes a complete protein.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
missliz01

my cat playing dead ;p

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2008 09:24:02 PM »

I just put this in another post, but something I like to make from time to time consists of mixing together rice, black beans, corn, and a can of diced tomatoes and the juice.  This mixture can be seasoned however you wish...salt, pepper, cayenne, chili powder, cumin, oregano?? It's sort of like a southwest type stew/goulash.  I suppose Quorn or Morningstar Farms "beef" crumbles could be thrown in for something extra, but the rice and beans would probably be enough if you're looking to keep the budget down.  And of course a bag of corn and can of tomatoes can be found relatively inexpensively depending on sales and where you purchase them.

Also, hummus can be made kinda cheaply (the olive oil is sort of a splurge, but depending on the recipe you use, you can get away with using a little at a time to make it last) and it can be made with or without tahini.  You could make hummus to dip pita or veggies into which gets you a serving of chickpeas, rice pilaf (with or without almonds) and a salad.

I guess these suggestions are provided you guys like southwestern and middle eastern flavors, but hope it helped some.  Happy cooking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Style a Messy French Twist
5 Things to Try This March 2014
3 Easy DIY Beauty Organizer Hacks
How to Apply Blush to Any Face Shape
Beauty Essentials For Women In Their 20s, 30s, And 40s!
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...