A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,202
Currently Running With Scissors:
468 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Butterflies and pinch pots  (Read 13250 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2008 , coil_pot , clay , cookie_cutter , vessel , butterfly  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dawt
I heart my duplicate daughters

I know, huh?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: April 29, 2008 08:41:56 PM »

I took a ceramics class at our local junior college because I missed putting my hands in clay. This is one of my favorite things I've ever made, a coil pot I worked on for several weeks.

I found the process quite relaxing, especially applying the rolled coils to the layer beneath it, smoothing out the lumps and bumps, trying to make it look as though it was thrown on the wheel (although a little haphazardly, I admit). Since there were hundreds of items being fired at the school, it was a bit of a circus act to get this pot fired without losing any of the butterflies but it came through just fine. While it was drying, though, someone bumped their piece up against mine and one of the wings broke off. The instructor suggested I use vinegar to repair it and it worked beautifully, even I can't tell which one it is.

I also made 3 itty-bitty slab pots that were fired in a trash can overnight. They were burnished, not glazed, but the burnishing process gave them a shine so they didn't need it. When they came out of the fire they were the neatest 'color' of black and natural clay. I loved, loved, loved the burnishing process, it was calming and didn't take any real thought. I would like to pursue this at home and learn to fire them in the same way. Maybe I'll take pictures of the 2 I have left (I gave one to one of my brothers) and post them as well.

Thanks for looking!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

titancia
Are you a good twin or a bad twin?

It's Thistle with a Bobo on her head!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008 08:47:28 PM »

The butterfly pot is beautiful! It is just gorgeous.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Teresa_T
Without Cats I'm Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008 08:58:41 PM »

How fabulous can it get!! Your pot is wonderful. Kind of Arts and Crafts in feel also.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mmmary.[word]
God of the Sea People.

Just a kiss on the lips.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008 09:00:14 PM »

I love this! so beautiful...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shh girl
shut your lips
do the helen keller
and talk with your hips
tcha345
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008 09:17:27 PM »

Gorgeous! I am in a ceramics class now and I made this real big vase that I can't wait to bring home! Smiley

We got to throw on the wheel too, but I stink at it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm awesome. Smiley

I have vintage yarn that I would like to give to someone! Please send a message if you'd like to obtain it.  I have lots!
dawt

I know, huh?

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008 10:18:56 PM »

Gosh, thank you, everyone! I feel validated... or something special like that.

Teresa_T, I love the Arts and Crafts era and take what you said in the highest regard.

Tcha345, post some pics when you get to bring you stuff home, I'd love to see your work. And I know exactly what you mean about the wheel, thought I'd love it but ended up dreading it, made some ugly stuff, too. (I get motion sickness and it just made me feel pukey.)

Thanks for your comments, too Titancia and mmmary, they really brightened my night.

~Dorothy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

jwill
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008 11:59:08 PM »

Very cute pot. I love the color and butterflies. I'm impressed they survived in a school kiln!!
I took a class in high school, and we did the burned pieces too, and I agree that it's such an interesting color. It's so different than anything you could just produce in a glaze, and cooler knowing it's from being in a fire!! hehe
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tcha345
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008 08:29:17 AM »

Hey, brought the vase home and it's posted if you want to go check it out! Smiley http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=243494.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm awesome. Smiley

I have vintage yarn that I would like to give to someone! Please send a message if you'd like to obtain it.  I have lots!
dawt

I know, huh?

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008 08:55:53 AM »

Heyyyyy! Nice work! (I left a comment over on your post.) The carving you did on your vase was totally unexpected, very pretty, and I'm so envious of your talent! I can't free-hand like that, gotta have some sort of pattern to follow. I like the color, too, it allows the natural color of the clay to come through. I used the same color glaze for a few of the pots I threw on the wheel because I used an underglaze on a few of 'em.

I'm going to take pictures right now of my miniature pots and post 'em in a little bit. Can't wait to see more of your work!

~Dorothy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dawt

I know, huh?

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008 09:39:59 AM »

Okie dokie, Pokie, here's the pics I promised. This is the type of work I'd like to do more of, but I need to learn the firing process so I can do it at home.

I love how the fire licked the surface and left its mark. Even though they're not glazed I'm amazed at the shine they retained from the burnishing process.

Oops! Modified to add that these are slab pots, formed by using a slab of clay and 'manipulated' into shape. This was a required project made in the same ceramics class I did the butterfly pot.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008 09:44:27 AM by dawt » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Making Ghanta Tarkari in Bhubaneshwar, India
Making Aloo Shaak with the Meghwal Tribe in Gujarat, India
How to Make Bacon Vodka
How to Make Spicy Indian Breakfast Pancakes
How to Make a Pork Neck Curry with Mango Salsa
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...