A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,562
Currently Running With Scissors:
368 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Indian/Wolf Scratchboard.  (Read 572 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Rebel_gurl015
« on: April 29, 2008 06:57:12 PM »

This is my 4th scratchboard ever. I love scratchboard. This is the first one done with the proper tools, only because it took me forever to find them in the stores.

Tell me what you think and how I can improve. Thanxs.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
SuzukiBeane33
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008 07:46:36 PM »

that looks great- I saw it in "newest projects" and was compelled to click on it.  Can I ask what scratchboard is?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I am invisible, he thinks often.  And Exempt.  Immunity has been granted to me, for I do not lose my cool.  Polarity is selected at will, for I am not ionized and I possess not valence."
-Richard Farina, "Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up to Me"

www.baltimorediy.blogspot.com
acidtrix
hell yeah

To the Bat Tank!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008 06:45:38 AM »

sweet! that looks great! aren't the clayboards so much nicer than the paper based scratchboards? if you ever get a chance to scan it, i'd love to see the details. which tools did you find you used the most?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check me out at www.acidtrix.com
Rebel_gurl015
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008 07:46:27 PM »

I wish I could scan also. Im using linux and my all in one printer doesn't like Mephis.  Cry lol
I love the tool with 5 needles on it for feathers! They came out perfect. I don't like the messy wire brush at all and I feel like it messed the details of the first (highest) wolf up. I used up all of my fiberglass brush.  Cry  I love it.  I used it for the Indian cheif's face and the wolf noses. I shouln't have used it on the ears but oh well. and The eyes do look much better in person. I promise.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
acidtrix
hell yeah

To the Bat Tank!

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008 08:58:18 AM »

hehe i sneak into the office at work that has a scanner to do mine Smiley
i, too, never use the messy wire brush. its awkward, i don't like the effect and it makes my skin crawl a bit, the sound it makes on the board. i did use the needle tool for feathers on the raven i did, but mostly i use the fiberglass tool for feathers and fur, and occassionaly use the needle tool to highlight areas. the fiberglass tool is such an awesome tool, though i still havent' worn out the first one i bought! i bet i'm getting close though. try the hard pink eraser for skin - its easier to get an even tone than with the fiberglass (though it appears you did wonderfully with it, its just a bit of a time saver). i did a board last night and only used the actual blades for about 30 seconds of work. everything else was fiberglass and erasers.
anyway, you've obviously got the knack for scratchboarding, let's see some more Cheesy

I wish I could scan also. Im using linux and my all in one printer doesn't like Mephis.  Cry lol
I love the tool with 5 needles on it for feathers! They came out perfect. I don't like the messy wire brush at all and I feel like it messed the details of the first (highest) wolf up. I used up all of my fiberglass brush.  Cry  I love it.  I used it for the Indian cheif's face and the wolf noses. I shouln't have used it on the ears but oh well. and The eyes do look much better in person. I promise.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check me out at www.acidtrix.com
t33ng1rlsqu4d
Throw him to the Balrogs!

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008 01:26:13 PM »

i am absolutely head over heels for this.

native americans and wolves are my two favorite things right now, and this is lovely.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rebel_gurl015
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2008 10:17:37 AM »

Okay I took this from wikipedia.......Scratchboard or scraperboard is a technique where drawings are created using sharp knives and tools for etching into a thin layer of white China clay that is coated with black India ink. Scratchboard can also be made with several layers of multi-colored clay, so the pressure exerted on the instrument used determines the color that is revealed. Using scratchboard is said to yield a highly detailed, precise and sometimes textured artwork.

And btw I wasn't so big on indians and wolves until my brother thought it was a good idea to rescue a timberwolf/ dog mix. He couldn't take care of her and now she's my big baby. The wolf on the bottom turned out looking like her. lol She was sitting near me watching what I was doing the entire time. I wouldn't say they make great pets, but she really is an exception to the rule.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
HDR Photography Advice
Photography Lighting Advice
Macro Photography Uses and Lenses
Concert Photography Tips
Prime Lenses Vs. Zoom Lenses
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...