A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,056
Currently Running With Scissors:
753 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Quilt piling up under arm of machine.  (Read 944 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Patrick_Craftrick
« on: April 29, 2008 01:58:52 PM »

I have mostly done tied quilts and have just started doing machine quilting. 

I was wondering if there was a proven method I should be following when machine quilting?  My quilt tends to pile up under the arm of my machine as I quilt.

I have been able to quilt the edges without a problem, but as I get to the center, there is just more and more quilt in the way.  Any solutions?  At least any that don't involve buying a long arm machine? (I would love to, but don't have the capital right now).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ware the Sock-A-Zins!

http://potatocraft.etsy.com
anaximander
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008 02:08:04 PM »

Well, for starters, it's usually easier to start from the middle and work your way out - keeps the fabric from getting all bunch in the middle, and you trim off the excess near the edges.

Other than that, there are two methods. One involves exactly what you're doing, just smunching, and the other, which is suited less to free motion than it is to straight line quilting, is to wrap the quilt around a broomstick (or something simillar, then use bicycle clips (they're available at cycle shops) to hold it in place, rolling or unrolling as needs be.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Homerof2
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008 02:14:41 PM »

I'm in the middle of doing a large quilt now and did a queen sized one last year and had the same trouble until someone on here suggested I roll up the side under the machine arm and it works great!!  I don't roll it around anything - I just slide a little bit under the foot and then start rolling until I get to where I want to quilt.

If you want to start your quilting in the center and then work to the outside, just roll up as much as you need to and unroll it as you move outward.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rainylakechick
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008 10:39:50 AM »

Rolling it?  Brilliant!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lefty33
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008 05:56:17 AM »

Rolling up the part that is under the arm of the machine is definitely the only way I've found to keep everything under control.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"A triumph of pure reason, or else a disaster of abstract thought.  You never can tell which will be which until you try."  Adam Gopnik, The King in the Window
Prickly Venus
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008 09:00:31 PM »

I am a big proponent of the aforementioned bicycle clip method!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Colorado Deb
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008 08:23:14 AM »

Yep.. rolling it is the key I think.  Also, putting a table behind your machine and to the side to help support the weight and if possible useing a walking foot if you are doing straight lines. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's never too late to have a happy childhood.-  NuClia Waste
rcaro

Vision Quilt, Think Identity

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008 10:12:12 AM »

I once read that the first step to maching quilting under a standard maching arm is to drink a glass of wine.   This relaxes one and eases the tension of wrestling with the quilt as it piles up.   You can't rush the process: baste densly, choose a quilt pattern that is not too hard and pace yourself so that the learning curve can "plateau" and not de-evolve into chaos (something will make you walk away, or run screaming from the machine, at some point- it might as well be at a time of your choosing!)- 30 minutes sessions perhaps.   Give yourself time to appreciate what you've already accomplished before diving in again for another session.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
almostexact
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008 01:45:10 PM »

Brilliant advice about the rolling it up with bicycle clips  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You can never have too much fabric, too many beads or too many owls.

Currently loving pygmy hedgehogs!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
CFDA Fashion Awards Winners And Red Carpet Style
Get Trendy In Sporty Chic Shorts
Finding the Perfect Summer Dress
Angelina Jolie Makes a Sexy Statement at Her First Post-Surgery Red Carpet
Pretty Savvy: Beachy Chic
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...