A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,551
Currently Running With Scissors:
315 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Poker Card themed room, anyone?  (Read 1895 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lizzie
« on: January 31, 2005 12:59:31 AM »

I'm really into interior design, and lately, I've wanted a change in my room. It's incredibly small, and a completely blank canvas. :x It's not very interesting and it isn't the haven I'd like to relax in.

I already have a theme idea and a color scheme. I've got a handful of good ideas already, but I was just wondering if anyone else had any input. To start off with, a view of my room drawn in MS Paint. It's definitely not proportional, and makes my room seem bigger than it actually is.

I want to get rid of my bookshelf and the cabinet thing, because I never use either and they just take up space. Note my computer and my rear are currently on the floor. Cheesy Having my computer and bookshelf where they're at makes my closet unopenable. So, what I want to do with those is get rid of the big cabinet and put my computer there, still on the floor. I plan to build a little table to put my monitor on so it's eye level. I won't have to slouch anymore, thank God.

I -want- to move my bed so it's facing the closet, but it may be too big. :x Damn my sleeper couch.

Nothing much else on furniture rearranging..

As for my theme, poker cards. I loooove playing poker and blackjack, and I've just always loved cards. :x To go along with my theme, the color scheme would be red and black (lolgothic).

As for my handful of ideas...

-I want to put up white christmas lights where the ceiling and the walls meet. They're on sale now so it'd be easy/cheap to get them, and it adds more lighting. This idea's a definite.
-I could put a border of cards going all the way around my walls. However, I've heard that putting up borders makes your room seem smaller, which isn't the effect I want to go for. This is a maybe.
-I want to put up smaller shelves to hold bamboo plants or tea light candles. This one's a definite, I love plants and candles. Cheesy
-Instead of chairs that take up space, I want to have at least two beanbags I can just fling into a corner if they aren't needed. Cheesy Plus beanbags make a good 'chair' when I'm on the comp.
-Since I can't paint my walls (we may be moving soon and houses with white walls are easier to sell), I want to put up a whole bunch of posters and pictures and stuff. Or, more cards scattered here and there. I also want to make something like this.
-For the ceiling, I have two options. I can raid my local stores and friends of AOL CDs/messed up burned CDs and tack them all up on my ceiling to make a mirror-like effect, or I can cover my ceiling in playing cards. Both would be fun to look at. Cheesy

That's pretty much all I have. If anyone has any ideas, help me out. @_@ Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I also may want to reupholster my couch and get red & black bedsheets/pillowcases, etc.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2005 01:14:00 AM by Lizzie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I know a mouse, and he hasn't got a house. I don't know why. I call him Gerald. He's getting rather old, but he's a good mouse."
Lizzie
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2005 01:01:38 AM »

Sorry for the double post :x

For some reason, my image got shrunk on the boards, but it looks normal if you go to the link:
http://img191.exs.cx/img191/9192/bedroomofdoom1uu.jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I know a mouse, and he hasn't got a house. I don't know why. I call him Gerald. He's getting rather old, but he's a good mouse."
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2005 05:37:29 AM »

Hey there.. Wink  Sounds like you have a lot of plans!

How about painting your own cards...I saw it on some room makeover show over the weekend.  She used black crushed velvet & fabric painted playing cards on 3 semi-large pieces..and framed them Smiley  You could do quite a few smaller ones...and kinda of zig zag them on a portion of your wall.. or maybe down a closet door.. Here are some funky versions of cards that might spawn some ideas for you!
http://members.aol.com/alanta98/cardart.html

What does your night stand look like?  Maybe paint the top or sides into one large playing card Wink  ORrrr.. decoupage playing cards directly to it Wink  Paint your knobs with the various suits...or just black, red, black, red.

Here are some ideas already on Craftster!
Playing card curtain (scroll down a bit..she reposted her photos) Basically... hold punch your playing cards & string them together with yarn or jump rings.  Make a window curtain..or an entire blanket...the blanket would be neat draped horizontally with the ceiling...that way it covers your ceiling, but you can take it with you when you move.http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?board=42;action=display;threadid=2295
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
Lizzie
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2005 07:32:00 PM »

Thanks for the tips! Cheesy That curtain is most awesome.. @_@
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2005 09:34:04 AM »

You are welcome!  I can't wait to see what you end up with... Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
emy
extra curricular activity queen

don't eat my cactus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2005 10:22:45 AM »

To save space why not install a shelf of some kind to use as a desk inside your closet?
I will tidy up the room a bit, quickly, as you can just shut the doors and shut your computor and workspace out of site. Maybe you can find a stool of some kind that will fit under the shelf so that fits in too? Or it could be a good place to store your bean-bags that you wish to have.

How about a shelf that attaches to the wall instead of a night-stand to free up some floor space?

Light wall colours are good for making small spaces seem larger, and the fairy-light idea is great, i currently have the exact same thing in my room Cheesy

How about instead of covering your whole ceiling with the cds, making disco balls, lots of them? Im pretty sure there is a tutorial on here..or alternatively you could buy them. They look really pretty when you have your fairy lights on and the light bounces of them in all directions, quite soothing and entertaining at the same time Smiley

what about a mobile made from playing cards? either using the cards themselves or using some felt or material to make the suits.
something like this maybe? but size altered to suit your needs?
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=23393.0

Good luck, and post some final pictures if you can! Smiley

« Last Edit: February 05, 2005 10:25:27 AM by emy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

i'm not lazy, i'm energy efficient
Melissa_Bumbles

hello my name is melon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2005 02:25:11 PM »

i dont know if you watch it at all, but on tlc's while you were out, they redid a room for those penn and teller magician guys w/ a las vegas theme.  it was amazing.  they used some green astroturf in some areas, they did black and white diamond shapes on one wall (like a checkerboard, but turned), they stuck mannequin legs on tables, and they did similar stuff to what some of these other people are describing with decks of cards.  ooh, and they used some zebra prints and monkeys...i know that sounds random, but it was really awesome.  also, maybe there's a way that you can incorporate poker chips in the room somehow?  they'd be cheapt to buy...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Most people are other people.  Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." -- Oscar Wilde
xxqualmxx
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2005 10:43:57 PM »

Also, on the Discovery Channel show called Party Planner, they did exactly that. They threw a poker party. I only caught a few minutes, but I saw they had creative uses for decks of cards.. they stapled them together in a long chain to make a room divider. Maybe you can make a window valence by gluing them to a board. or attach them to plain curtains. I went to the website, and it's not replaying anytime soon.  Go here to see when it will be on again. The name of the episode is "Poker Night."
http://dsc.discovery.com/schedule/series.jsp?series=24887&gid=13277&channel=DSC
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Brae_Day
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2005 10:52:22 PM »

Melissa, I did see that episode!!  I was thinking of the same thing when I read the original post.  That room was craaazy. 

Anyway, Lizzie, on your pic. it says "closet I never use".  Does that mean it's empty?  Can you make it part of the room?  I took the doors off in our computer/craft room and put a desk in it with all of my crafting supplies, and it works great.  Just a thought.

Be sure to post finished pics!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lizzie
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2005 06:37:28 PM »

Thanks for all the great ideas, everyone, sorry that I haven't responded much, haha! XD

The closet isn't THAT big and I want to use it, but right now it's chock full of... someone's stuff. o_O I dunno. Not mine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Baby Booty Soles Part 3/5
How to Crochet Baby Sneakers Part 1/13
How to Crochet Baby Booty Soles Part 4/5
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 4/29
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 6/29
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...