Hey Guys, Took me ages to work out how to actually post topics here! Glad I worked it out!
Well, following the pinafore dress thingy trend, here's my version. The pleats were actually meant to be gathers, but I couldn't be bother to gather it, so just pinned it evenly and when I sewed over it they became pleats!
How clever! Sorry about the sun in my eyes the whole way through btw!
EDIT: Quick tutorial- especially for dearbarbie!
1. Take two pieces of fabric:
1st piece= (rib cage measurement + 2 inches for zip allowance) x (final length of waistband x 2 + 2 inches for folding over)
2nd piece= (final length of skirty bit + 3 inches for the hem) x (at least twice your rib cage measurement)
2. Pin the long edge of the skirty bit of fabric to rib cage side of the smaller bit ( right sides together). Pin at the ends, then in the middle, then in the middles of the middle and the ends etc etc! Do this until the loopy bits on the big fabric are the size you want them.
3. Sew the pinned edge, pulling the loops flat as you go. This should create rough pleats. Unpin.
4. Sew in a zip, starting from half way down the smaller piece. Sew up the rest of the seam on the larger piece.
5.Fold down the top half of the smaller piece so it covers the seam on the inside. Tuck raw edges under and pin. Sew from the front in the ditch made by the original seam or hand stitch in place.
6. Make some straps by sewing nice long tubes and turning right side out. Sew onto the dress and hem!
Hope that makes sense! The bit about the pleats is rambly, but you can really just pleat it how you want (or gather)! Good luck!