A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Monday, May 23 News:  It's time to vote!  Which Craftster member rocked dollar store crafting?  Cast your vote here!
Total Members: 305,669
Currently Running With Scissors:
503 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help! I need some ideas for borders/ finishing a quilt top  (Read 1262 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Jen Sews

Formerly known as lukenlarry

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: April 28, 2008 01:14:09 PM »

I found this great transitions fabric at a Hancock Fabrics store, and had like a midnight inspiration on what I wanted to do with it.   Here is the finished result:

Unfortunately its only about 2 feet by 3 feet.  Sad    I don't have any more fabric and the whole piece was MUCH more of a pain in the but than I expected.     I did find this fabric that I like that has a lot of the same colors.   Is it too busy?   I do have more of the bright orange.   should I add orange and then a border of this?  or skip it and stay with some more solid looking colors/prints....   hmmmm

THIS ROCKS   Logged

goldy
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008 02:08:53 PM »

Try tucking the orange between the 2 layers and see how it feels might work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sloth003
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i still have all my marbles.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008 05:28:12 PM »

a thin-ish border of the orange then the busy fabric i think would look all right? (that's what i would do anyway.  i like a thin border then a fat one...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate- Terry Pratchett
Homerof2
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008 06:13:18 PM »

If it was me, I'd do a thin border of dark blue, a thin border of orange and then a thick border of the same dark blue.  I would not mix the fabric you show with what you already have done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
whoopdedoo_5
I can resist anything...except temptation :P

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008 03:24:49 AM »

i would do a thin border of each of the colors or pick like 2 colors and then do a border of that other material.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

j_q_adams
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008 12:08:22 PM »

I agree with Homerof2 ... I think your quilt (which is beautiful, by the way), would best be served by sticking to solids or a subtle tone-on-tone in the borders.  I like the idea of a thin border followed by a thicker one for some contrast.  But I don't think the novelty of the print matches well with the contemporary sophistication of the center.  Just my $0.02 ... good luck and post pics when you've decided!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Quilty Spice
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008 07:05:36 PM »

What beautiful fabric! I love Hancock's. Your quilt is beautiful.

I would add a narrow black border -- say 3/4" and do a wider border in one of the blues. Then you can highlight some quilting in the border.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jen Sews

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008 07:13:13 PM »

Thank you for your comments everyone!   

I did decide the novelty fabric is too strong to be used in large amounts.   I am trying a combination of light green orange and dark blue borders now with just a tiny strip of the multi colored fabric originally pictured.

It is hard to describe so I will have to post pictures soon.  I think it will be  a baby blanket for my 3rd little boy we are expecting in august.   I like it as something kinda unique for babies but still with a little pastels.   

When he gets older I'll have to make him a theme quilt like I made the tractor blanket for my oldest and a dinosaur for my soon to be middle guy.  I'm sure he will think it is not quite manly enough!!!    Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jen Sews

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008 10:16:10 AM »

I finally found my camera and have a pic to show you.   I think this will be a baby blanket for my third son.    When he gets older I will have to make him something with trucks on it or something else he likes, but I think all the bright colors will appeal to an older baby. Smiley

Thanks for all your input.    Now I just have to actually quilt this by the end of July.   (I am pretty sure that even tho I am due in August he will come early!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
MSGM - Spring/Summer 2016 - Milan Fashion Week - Backstage, Runway & Interviews - VF Collections
Etro - Spring/Summer 2016 - Milan Fashion Week - Runway & Interviews - Videofashion Collections
Why Rihanna Is Taking a Break From Being Racy
Dong Gong Minn Brow Maker Review
Scary But Awesome Beauty Trend: Rubber Face Masks
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Reusable Dryer Sheets
Tute Tuesday: Painted Background
Easy Summer Salads

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...