A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 301,515
Currently Running With Scissors:
527 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Double-baking Tutorial (for shrink plastic)  (Read 5549 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rabbit_sun
« on: April 28, 2008 12:38:11 PM »

The weekend got away from me, and I am suffering from a bout of "pregnancy brain", so when I would sit in front of the computer, I totally blanked on what to write. *Blinking cursor of my blank word document, why must you mock me??*

Better late than never, though.

Double baking

Disclaimer:  I did not invent double-baking in any way shape or form.  The directions can be found on any package of Shrinky Dinks brand shrink plastic, although they refer to it as fusing.  I am simply sharing my techniques and my trials with this method of using shrink plastic.

There are two key ingredients to double-baking that you can not buy in the store: patience and flexibility.  You must have both of these things in order to attempt double-baking, because it can be a tedious process that will have you swearing or in tears (depending on your temperament, in general).  I am a swear-er, but I have been known to tear up when things dont go exactly as planned (To be honest, I am a bit of a day dreamer and I have vivid imaginings of myself crafting for Martha Stewart, impressing her into speechlessness, so, perhaps, I should tone down my own ambitions a tiny bit to cause a bit less distress for myself.)

What is this double-baking that you speak of?
It is what it sounds like: baking your shrink plastic, not once, but twice.

Do I need special tools?
The only extra things you will need (in addition to your regular shrink plastic supplies) are a Pyrex (glass) baking dish and an oven that reaches a temperature of 450 degrees F.
I am also going to recommend an oven thermometer for this.  If youre oven is too hot (mine was off by 50 degrees *ouch*) you will get some unwanted results.

I got my supplies, lets do this thing!
Ok, settle down.  I told you, you will need patience.
#1 Decide on a design that you would like to practice double-baking with.  I say practice because you should practice with this technique.  Remember what I said about the swearing and/or tears?  Well, that could happen if you try to make a beautiful piece of art on your first attempt and things dont go as planned.
I find that the best designs are simple geometrics such as stripes, polka dots, squares, etc.  You will get some distortion with double-baking, so keeping things simple is the better way to go until you get accustomed to this method.

#2 There are two types of shrink plastic that work for double-baking: crystal clear/transparent or frosted (the SD rough and ready, if thats what you have on hand).  I also recommend using only markers for double-baking, because the colors do tend to fade during double-baking and colored pencil doesnt always hold up (although, by all means, experiment with different brands if you got em).

#3 Preheat your oven to the regular baking temperature (between 300-350 degrees F, depending on your plastic).

#4 You are going to use two pieces of plastic per one finished piece.  For example, if you would like a nice circular pendant, you would use two round pieces of the same size.  (I like to trace around the lid of a small cookie tin.)  I trace the shape using a ball point pen or pencil, and then get to the coloring.  Only color your design on one of your pieces, though, leaving the other blank.  If you are using frosted shrink plastic, you should color on the smooth side, because markers have a tendency to bleed when used on the rough side.  Once you are happy with your design, your pieces are ready for their first baking.
And, if you would like a hole in your finished piece, punch it now.  I line my pieces up and punch both at one time, so the holes will be aligned.  Also, you MUST use a bigger punch than a regular notebook-paper sized punch.  I use a inch circular craft punch for any double-baked pieces.

#5 Bake your pieces as usual, both your colored piece and your plain piece.  Once you remove them from the oven, you can put something over them to flatten them, but its not totally necessary in double-baking.  Let them cool, and crank up your oven to 450 degrees F.

#6 After your pieces have cooled, they are ready for further embellishment. Place your blank piece to the side.  He doesnt get any love this time around, either. This is where your imagination really comes into play.  I have used glitter glue, loose glitter, pressed flowers/clovers, cut-outs from plastic candy bags (seek out your local Asian market for super-cute food packaging), and stickers of all sorts for embellishment*. 
*If you would like to use stickers, plastic cut-outs, or the pressed flowers, I recommend starting with a clear piece of plastic.  Simply bake two unmarked pieces of plastic and then embellish.  You can use markers after the plastic has been baked for the first time, as well, if you wish to add color (as for a border, etc.).  I have had problems with marker clouding stickers and other add-ons during the second bake when they were placed on top of the ink. 
If you want to use glitter for most of your embellishment, I highly recommend using markers beneath them.  For example, if you want to make blue, gold, and purple glitter stripes on your piece, use blue, yellow (I have yet to see gold Sharpies), and purple Sharpie on your unbaked piece, bake, then add the colored glitter in this step.  Colors do darken with baking, so I would use a paler marker than your glitter.  The marker behind the glitter helps emphasize the glitters color, but you dont want it to overpower the glitter.
Now, you must let any glitter, glue, or ink that you have used dry COMPLETELY.
I made most of my mistakes not letting things dry.  So, let them dry.  Sometimes, I embellish my pieces in the afternoon, and dont bake them a second time until the next morning so I know that they are, indeed, dry.

An aside here:  If you are using the oh-so-fun glitter glue, you may notice that the glue seems to pull away from itself when drying/dry.  You may be tempted to add more glitter glue to these blank spots, but dont.  The glitter will heat up and spread, filling those empty spaces during the second baking.  If you add too much glitter glue, your colors will run into one another and blend into a weird non-color.

#7 Place your plastic piece in the Pyrex dish (I use an 8x8 in casserole dish) design side up.  Now, take your neglected blank piece and layer it on top of the designed piece, making sure your holes are aligned (it wont be perfect, but try for as aligned as I can get).  Push the top piece gently into the bottom piece. 
Now, place in your preheated 450 degrees F oven.  I set a timer for five minutes and, unlike the first bake, I dont peek at the pieces until the timer goes off.
*beep beep beep*
I squeal, and then look at my pieces.  By this time, your pieces may look a bit strange. Your top piece is probably beginning to curl up and the pieces will look melted.  This is good.  Its just the look youre going for.
But, your piece probably isnt finished.  Turn that timer on for another three minutes.
*ding*
Take another look.  The pieces should be molding into one another and they are developing a glass-like appearance (even the frosted plastic will do this).
My pieces usually only take about eight minutes  So, how do you know if yours is done?
I like to take mine out when the sides of the two pieces have fused smoothly together.  If your pieces are fusing together and are not completely smooth, but you are happy with the design of the piece and would like to remove it, you can fix the edges later on.

When to take your piece out of the oven, no matter what:
If the piece has a lot of bubbles in the top, take it out.  The oven is TOO hot, and the plastic baked too quickly.  If you want to try and salvage your piece, you can try pushing on the top of the plastic with something smooth and heat resistant (I use a non-slotted plastic spatula).  You will feel the plastic give under your tool, so press gently to avoid completely destroying your design.
If the piece is smoking, take it out.  Once again, your oven is too hot.
Some color loss from the markers is going to happen, but if your piece has turned completely clear, you are probably baking it too long (or using markers that arent great for double-baking).

If you are happy with your piece, take it out, and let it cool on a pot holder or towel.  DO NOT TOUCH!  This plastic is hot, and is somewhat liquid when heated at such a high temperature, so, not only will it burn you, it might stick to your skin as well.  *ouch*
You will hear little tinkling noises and pops as your plastic cools and releases itself from the glass.  This is perfectly normal.  I wait about 20-30 minutes before attempting to remove my piece.

Is my piece done now?
Well, that is entirely up to you.  I keep a lot of double-baked pieces as-is if I especially like how they turned out.  I dont really see the need to seal them, because all ink and glitter is trapped inside.  If you dont like the edges, you can gently sand them, using a fine grit sandpaper (380 grit or above), rinsing the dust from the piece, and then using a bit of liquid triple thick glaze on the edges only (I have had clouding issues when used on the tops of pieces).

Im unhappy with my piece.
Im right there with you.  For every piece I have that I like, I have five pieces hidden in my box of shame that I never want anyone to see.  Like I said at the beginning, this technique is an exercise in patience and perseverance.  Keep trying, and you will soon learn what does and does not work in double-baking.

Cant wait to see what you make!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008 05:45:18 PM by rabbit_sun » THIS ROCKS   Logged

No alarms and no surprises, please. -Radiohead
crazydoc
"Never, ever give up" - Winston Churchill "Never, ever grow up" - Dr. Seuss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008 10:06:37 AM »

What more could one want in a tutorial?

Well done!

Appreciatively,
~CD~
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shhhhhhhhh...it's Strictly Top Secret...
strictlytopsecret.etsy.com
craftydebs

Just too busy being fabulous!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008 04:17:12 PM »

I am having SO much fun with the dink!  Thanks a million for this tut!  I am about to ge off for 3 days and have a brand new package from Lucky Squirl just screaming my name!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

May you be in heaven for thirty minutes before the devil even knows you are dead.- Old Irish Toast

http://wists.com/craftydebs
CreativeChick8

www.soundwavejewelry.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008 12:25:38 PM »

OMG! IT'S LIKE A RESIN SUBSTITUTE (SORTA)

You don't know how long I've been looking for something like this. I have to go to Michael's right now. WOOOO!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come on.....you know geeks rock your world.....

myspace: www.myspace.com/creativechick8
flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/blackaudiophotography
etsy: www.soundwavejewelry.etsy.com
rabbit_sun
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008 01:19:19 PM »

I do think it gives the look of resin... 

I would LOVE to experiment with resin, but I am pregnant and didn't want to inhale any fumes which might not be the best for the baby...

I had to find an alternative.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tmbrunschen
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008 08:45:12 AM »

I do think it gives the look of resin... 

I would LOVE to experiment with resin, but I am pregnant and didn't want to inhale any fumes which might not be the best for the baby...

I had to find an alternative.

I make Shrink Jewelry professionally and you have TOTALLY inspired me to do something New (to me)....

I was wondering if you've got any pics of any finished Double-Baked pieces lying around (even the ones from your Box O Shame -I, too, have one of those, but it's an old cookie tin Wink )

Thanks so much for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CreativeChick8

www.soundwavejewelry.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008 07:27:23 AM »

When you bake them the second time (the 450 one): Which side do you put up when you layer them?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come on.....you know geeks rock your world.....

myspace: www.myspace.com/creativechick8
flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/blackaudiophotography
etsy: www.soundwavejewelry.etsy.com
rabbit_sun
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008 12:39:09 PM »

When you bake them the second time (the 450 one): Which side do you put up when you layer them?

I put the ink side up, because Sharpie has a tendency to bleed into the glass baking dish.

Sorry, I've been away for some time.  I finally had the baby (only 11 days overdue) so I have had my hands full.

I will try to post some pictures.  In the completed section, I know there is a picture of one.  It is a rainbow glitter piece.  But, I have more I can share pictures of.  Cheesy
Even the ones I am not so proud of... 

-P
THIS ROCKS   Logged

brookeincraftland
BROOKE

formerly was polKadOt_iT.then they took over :)

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008 10:59:53 PM »

thanks sooooooooooooooooooooooo much for all the info. you're awesome!!!!!!!

also CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have paint all over my fingers and fabric all over the floor. Yeah it was a good day!
polyphony
Shamelessly promoting Peace, Love & Happiness through Crafting!

A Contra Costa Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008 12:14:32 PM »

OUTSTANDING tutorial. I also have to get over to Michael's and get some supplies ASAP so I can try this!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008 12:24:02 PM by polyphony » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Apply Blur Cream
Holiday Beauty: Glam Up and Glow
Spa Treatment That Slims You Down Instantly
How to Contour the Pounds Away
Smoky Eye and Bold Lip Makeup Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decorative Bulletin Board
Rain, rain, you don't have to go away...
Tute Tuesday: Latch Hooked Rag Rug

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...