A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,050
Currently Running With Scissors:
618 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Boutique Style Twirl Skirts? (edited to add link)  (Read 1244 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ilovetobead
« on: April 28, 2008 10:28:56 AM »

I bought a pattern yesterday for a patchwork euro-twirl skirt and I'm a bit overwhelmed  Undecided. I've only ever made pillow case dresses for my daughter before and I need something that is a little easier to understand than what I bought. Does anyone know of any free sites/patterns that can help me? It doesn't HAVE to be a patchwork one, any kind of twirl skirt will work. Also, are these do-able for a beginner, or am I getting in over my head? Thanks so much!

ETA: Here is a link to the pattern I bought that shows the style of skirt I'm talking about Smiley.
http://youcanmakethis.com/info/skirts-dresses/Euro-Patchwork-Twirl-Skirt.htm
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008 12:00:50 PM by ilovetobead » THIS ROCKS   Logged
holly1021
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008 12:26:13 PM »

Are you talking about the tiered skirts, like vegbee's amazing patchwork rainbow skirt?  She has a great tute on her blog here: http://indietutes.blogspot.com/2007/05/patchwork-circle-skirt.htmlSmiley

Or there's this type of "twirly skirt", sans tiers: http://houseonhillroad.typepad.com/photos/twirly_skirt/.  It's not patchwork, but I imagine you could *make* it so pretty easily. . .

HTH!   

ETA:  We must've crossed posts. . .Looking at that link, I think you could use vegbee's tutorial to get a similar look--just use BIG squares and add a ruffle along the bottom.  Smiley
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008 12:32:34 PM by holly1021 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nylaskye
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008 01:44:43 PM »

Twirly skirts are not hard, just a pain in the wazoo with all the steps. You have to cut and sew all the rectangles/squares together, but it's the pinning and gathering that even I ,an experienced sewer despise!

If I were you I would try a few of the easier skirts until you start to get confident with gathering.  Nothing discourages you like a pattern that's hard to understand.  I remember being almost in tears I was so frustrated and overwhelmed by the directions in certain patterns.  Sometimes I still get stumped.

What was it exactly that you were having difficulty with?  The measurements, techniques??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ilovetobead
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008 02:08:09 PM »

Thanks guys Smiley. Really I just have a hard time understanding what the instructions mean sometimes if it doesn't have a picture to go with the step. Which skirts are easier to make? I think I'll go ahead and attempt something a bit more simple before taking on a skirt with a million pieces LOL!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elijor
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008 02:54:54 PM »

I think if you start with the "twirly Skirt" from houseonhillroad. Then maybe try the "patchwork circle skirt" from vegbee. You could even try that one without the "patchwork" just using strips of fabric for each teir. Then do one in actual patchwork.

If you go to the tutorial list there are alot of patterns and many of them are easy and more importantly they often have pictures.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
macssunshine
Studio K Designs

Studio K Designs

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008 04:58:57 AM »

I've wanted to try the patchwork skirt too but it scares me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Creating clothing with heart!
SpottedFrog
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008 07:56:07 AM »

A few comments on patchwork skirts (or patchwork anything for that matter).

I strongly suspect it's the variety of fabrics that is overwhelming you, keep it to 3-4 coordinated prints or all in one color family (i.e. all pink) and that part need not be difficult.
Combining Fabrics: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=242942.0

Take a tip from the quilters and learn "stack and whack". Rotary cutter, cutting mat and a good quilters ruler make quick work out of yards of fabric. When I did Dulcinea's twirly skirt I cut 100 5" squares in 20 minutes, a childs skirt only needs about that many (or less if shes petite/ under age 6).
Cutting discussion: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=222004.0
Dulcinea's Skirt: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=226468.msg2453413#msg2453413

Do not confuse time consuming with difficult. Gathering is time consuming, it is not difficult. I did much of that same skirt on the phone with my brother, phone wedged between shoulder & ear chatting about his new house. Having tv, music or a person to talk to helps with the boring parts.  If you are having a hard time with it there are some specific small tweaks that make it go easier.
- Pull on the bobbin thread, not the top thread. Dunno why this works but it makes a marked difference. Sometimes I use a slightly different color in the bobbin just so it's easier.
- break the area to be gathered down into smaller sections. If I have a ruffle 88" (that would be 2 full fabric width strips) long I'll do 4 sections of basting thread, carefully leaving long tails at all my stops & starts and keeping the stops & starts as close to each other as I can get.
-I use colored big head pins, I color code as I go to help me keep track of progress. For Example: 4 sections to do, firat I mark the non gathering side in 4 even sections, I'll use white pins. I'll mark the halfway points within these sections with yellow pins and quarter way points with blue. As I find the halfway and quarter way points I'll pin them together. Then it's just a matter of pulling the thread & moving the gathers along untill the two sides are are even length instead of the way they start with one side straight and the other big loops.
Picture for that nor very clear description:
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008 08:10:22 AM by Penlowe » THIS ROCKS   Logged
mamato2girls
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008 10:02:17 AM »

I made patchwork twirly skirts for both my daughters this weekend.  I used vegbee's tutorial.  She makes it so easy!  I agree, I think I would use her tute & increase the size of the squares.  I used 4x4, and had 158 on each skirt.  I'll post mine later, after older DD is home from school & we can take a pic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Work With Layers in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
How to Save the Selections in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
How to Refine the Selection Edge in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
How to Use the Quick Selection Tool in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
How to Use Magic Wand Tool in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...