A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 304,769
Currently Running With Scissors:
450 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 1st ATC - Impractical Joker  (Read 4455 times)
Tags for this thread: atc , joker , embroidery , skull  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: April 28, 2008 08:38:18 AM »

I've long admired ATCs, both for the amazing art and for the rule that they can't be sold, only exchanged.  I didn't think I had the skills to make one after seeing so many beautiful examples, but recently I took an  opportunity to give it a try.  I was in an organized swap (Jar of Mini Whimsies Swap) with a partner who likes playing cards, especially jokers.  I'd found 8 or so jokers from different decks, but was kind of stuck on what to make for the swap.  I thought, "How can I make a joker that's cool?"  I started searching my Dover books - no real jokers there - but she also likes skulls, so I thought that I could print onto iron-on transfer paper then embroider a joker hat!  Black and red are two of her favorite colors, so that was the logical choice.  And since she also likes silver, I used that for the "bells" on his hat.  The bells are a diamond, heart club and spade and boy, is that silver embroidery floss mean to work with.

The embroidered transfer (on muslin) is sewn to black vinyl and the information is another iron-on transfer on muslin, sewn on.

I can't believe how nervous I am about posting this!  I'm not used to projects with "rules"!  I looked at a couple of sources for rules and hope I didn't break any.  It's 2.5" x 3.5", of course.  Set me straight on anything I missed, please!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mamaedgar
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008 08:45:53 AM »

oh that's great!!! i just started doing ATC's as well.  It is certianly a scarey thing to get into !  great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alteredmommy
Swap Moderator
More Art, Less Craft Moderator

I'm an altered girl, in an altered world....

Colour outside the lines!

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008 08:52:30 AM »

Very cool ATC!!  The only real rules for ATCs are size and the "always traded never sold" thing.  Other than that you are free to do whatever you like!  I really like the embroidery and vinyl backing, very creative Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join the Shop the Swap 2014 Winter Market SIGNUPS Sept 26 - Oct 10!!

Have a Swap Problem?  Please open a HELP DESK ticket!!
TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008 09:13:43 AM »

mamaedgar: Isn't it weird how nervous-ing it is?  I think the "More Art, Less Craft" category here makes it intimidating, too.  I'm going to go look for you, now!

Alteredmommy: Thanks!  That's what I picked up, but I was nervous I was missing something.  I'm assuming you can give them w/o receiving in return, too, no?  I think the embroidery saved me - because collage intimidates me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mamaedgar
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008 09:36:34 AM »

mamaedgar: Isn't it weird how nervous-ing it is?  I think the "More Art, Less Craft" category here makes it intimidating, too.  I'm going to go look for you, now!

it is totally wierd, i've been doing art for years on large canvases, but these little 2 1/2 by 3 1/2 cards freak me out!  my first 3 ATC's were for the ABC ATC swap last month ..... i am working on three more for the DEF swap now. My first ones were very tame and not really my style, so these next ones are uch better ..... I'm breaking out of my ATC shell!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008 10:06:33 AM »

Looks like you have a good start!  I'm not sure I'll go any further with ATCs, but I'm relieved that I gave it a try and that I'm not ashamed of it.  Weird what trips up one's creativity, but not another's. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RockstarMom
Missing my crafting time

Shhhhh.... I'm using glue!

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008 10:11:29 AM »

Oh this rocks! I love it!
(I had no idea you made it T until I looked at your avatar! LOL, so no I am NOT stalking you! Cheesy)
Such detail especially with the silver suit bells. Wink Love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Spring semester is kicking my butt.
acidtrix
hell yeah

To the Bat Tank!

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008 10:14:14 AM »

beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check me out at www.acidtrix.com
TheMistressT

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008 10:56:12 AM »

Rockstarmom:  Thanks!  Yeah, it's not really my style and it kind of scares me a little bit, but I'm pleased with it.  I totally have never stalked you or anything.  Wouldn't be ladylike... or, uh, something. 

Acidtrix:  Thanks!  I'm not usually one to seek out a bunch of affirmation for my creations (usually just a little  Wink ), but for some reason with this it's helping me cross the hurdle.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Teeisme

That's my boy, Petey!

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008 11:02:37 AM »

OUTstanding!!!!!!!!!!  It sorrows me to hear that you're not looking into continuing.  You've got the 1st one out of the way and you're an obvious natural so give it some more thought. (small thought that is  Wink)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tee
finished the 100 ATC Theme Challenge!!
I'm the ATC - DT in a new Vintage group. Come join me   http://vintageflaire.ning.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Kat Von D Makeup Recalled From Sephora
DIY Skin Firming Cellulite Scrub
Tips for Skincare and Finding Your Tone
Elevator Makeover - From Country Girl to City Chic
Elevator Makeover - From Hot Mess to "Too-Hot-to-Handle"
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...