A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,574
Currently Running With Scissors:
749 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 27
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Copyright Info / Using Other Peoples' Images / Etc  (Read 56037 times)
Tags for this thread: copyright  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pinkninky
« Reply #210 on: October 31, 2006 03:11:19 PM »

certainly ask about, it never hurts! a while back i found a great illustration by a painter i had never heard of. i emailed him, asking if i could use that image (simplify the image, and give him credit) to make patches. he wrote back, said that i'd have to pay him $200 (or $300, i forget) initially, but after i pay, i can use that image all i want for anything, as long as i keep my promise to make sure he was credited for his work.

so you CAN get permission, but don't expect it to come at a low price. i still haven't written him back, but i haven't used his art either of course. good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sistersstitchings
« Reply #211 on: November 02, 2006 12:28:30 PM »

Can you stand another post on this topic?  Different companies will state different requirements on their website as to use of patterns.  I like to sew and crochet and will and have asked for permission to use different designs. I am getting ready to take down some of my products because I just found out that the particular publisher of those designs states that you cannot use their patterns/designs for any kind of sale no way no how.  Some of these companies hire full-time designers and their business is to design for others use.  But if you copy the pattern and sell it then you infringe on their territory and cut into sales. 

I found this statement on the Leisure Arts site helpful and interesting:  "Q. What are the rules concerning selling projects made from Leisure Arts publications?
A. The designs themselves and the instructions in our leaflets are the exclusive property of Leisure Arts; the finished product made from our instructions belongs to you as long as you do not duplicate the instructions or claim to be the designer. The designs are intended for the personal, noncommercial use of our consumers, and we do not give permission for consumers to wholesale the projects they make from our designs in stores or businesses.If you are registered as a business or have a tax identification number, permission is denied for you to make and sell any projects using Leisure Arts designs.
"

It just doesn't make sense that they would sell a design and then not expect you to use it.  If you can sell an item you own then you should be able to sell an item you make and own..see above statement for conditions.  The thing is you cannot be doing it commercially and wholesale.

Oh, and by the way on the question of designs such as Micky Mouse, Disney, etc...those companies have certain agreements with the fabric and pattern companies so you can't use those.  You'd have to have an agreement with both Disney and Leisure Arts for example.

Have I muddied the waters any?  Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged
sparklinglove
« Reply #212 on: November 11, 2006 07:55:12 PM »

What about putting patches I bought from stores and put them on a bag, then sold the bag. Illegal?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rachelyra
Medium Reality

making stuff, taking names.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: November 13, 2006 02:58:05 PM »

Here's a poser.

Using postage stamps in collage work.  Does the painter of the stamp image need to be contacted?  the freaking usps (god help me if that's the case)?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

coexist_love
« Reply #214 on: November 19, 2006 07:20:40 PM »

Here's a poser.

Using postage stamps in collage work.  Does the painter of the stamp image need to be contacted?  the freaking usps (god help me if that's the case)?

I would think since it was cancelled that it wouldn't matter but maybe I'm wrong. I am not a lawyer. You might now want to listen to me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meg4568
« Reply #215 on: November 27, 2006 12:10:47 PM »

what about plain print cheap fabric from JoAnns?  With only like a snowflake motif or something?
I know tons of people use it and sell it but is it LEGAL?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KatAutumn
Knitty Hippie

Princess of Mod Podge

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 27, 2006 11:14:23 PM »

Quick question.  I have a concept, a set stye of something that I use for different items (pins, hair clips, purse embellishments, etc.).  It's my original design.  Question is, do I have to register each and every item and pay the fee for every different item I want to copyright even if it's of the same theme (just with different colors and for different applications)?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Artsy Fartsy LJ:
The Krafting Kat
Radegund
« Reply #217 on: November 28, 2006 01:58:40 PM »

The Straight Dope recently ran an interesting four-part series about copyrights.

http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mcopyright1.htm
http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mcopyright2.htm
http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mcopyright3.htm
http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mcopyright4.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Studio Rat
Howdy Folks!

this goat tried to eat my camera...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: December 08, 2006 08:11:32 PM »

wow, I just found this thread.. lots of heated discussion..

anywho..

I didn't notice anyone answering a quesiton that I've been wondering.. Can  someone own the right to a craft itself?Huh   Someone recently tried to tell me that I couldn't make a craft because I read a website(amoung many others) with instructions on how to do said craft and that the website had a disclaimer saying that instructions for this craft may not be used to make crafts that will be sold for profit..

Can she do that??  Can she cut me off from ever selling my version of a craft that she happens to do as well?!  please help me here...
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006 08:14:01 PM by Studio Rat » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My face and body art site!
http://www.picnpaint.com

A little thing that I like to call... my etsy shop ^_^
http://www.normalisboring.etsy.com

That blog thing that everyone tells me I need...
http://www.normalisboring.wordpress.com
Kitty Vane

toy-making elf

View Profile WWW
« Reply #219 on: December 09, 2006 04:29:59 AM »

Studio Rat, I think it's a bit like a pattern company saying that you're free to use their clothing patterns as you wish, as long as you don't sell the clothes made with the patterns.
I don't know whether the craft instructions you're talking about were for a specific style of item like "this is how you knit a sock with a pattern I have made" or wether they were more general, like "this is how you knit a sock" so it's hard to say if the person is right in not permitting people to make profit on their instructions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 27 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Vichy Capital Soleil SPF-50 Lightweight Foaming Lotion Review
Goldfaden MD Sun Visor Ultra-Light Oil Free SPF 30 Mist Review
Peter Thomas Roth Uber-Dry Twist-Up Broad Spectrum SPF 50 Review
Murad Essential-C Sun Balm Broad Spectrum SPF 35 Review
Ingredient Spotlight: Olive Leaf Extract
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...