A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 303,176
Currently Running With Scissors:
639 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Best Wishes for the couple (ideas on how to make this work?)  (Read 1042 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: April 27, 2008 07:42:32 PM »

Hi everyone!  Grin

I'm a crafty lady getting married in July 08 to my uber-geeky man, and we're pulling together some ideas on how to involve our wedding guests into the ceremony. Our wedding is very DIY and casual.. held outdoors in the middle of the woods. Think lots of trees, summer flowers, black cotton dresses and shirts, indie/geek rock music, all you can eat BBQ, cupcakes, and local Oregon brewed beer!

I read about an idea earlier this week, where a couple had asked their guests to write some best wishes for the couple of a small piece of paper. The notes were placed in little envelopes and then hung around the alter, surrounding the couple in best wishes as they said their vows to each other.

The best part? Each envelope was numbered from 1-20.. On their first anniversary the couple would open all envelopes marked #1, on their second anniversary they'd open the #2 envelopes and so on..

I LOVE this idea, and so does my fianc. I would really like to put this project together myself, instead of purchasing pre-made, but I'm having trouble getting started..

So I come to you my beloved craftster mavens, seeking your wisdom! Are there simple envelope tutorials out there that I am not finding? Can you think of a creative way to pull off making this an easy and meaningful activity for our guests?

I'm thinking hanging the envelopes on each of the chairs, but then how to manage writing implements? Perhaps they could all be set at a table near the entrance, but then how do we avoid crowding or missing people? Huh

I'm also trying to write up something sweet as an introduction to attach to the envelopes, or to display near the table, explaining the envelopes and how we will be using them.

What do you think? Can I pull this off??

Much love!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008 07:48:24 PM by nevergirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008 09:17:15 PM »

My brother and sister-in-law did something like this.  They didn't DIY the envelopes or number them, just asked people to write down well wishes for the couple.  There was a small table set up in an obvious location with pens, papers, and envelopes in a glass bowl on an end table.  Bro and SIL will pick envelopes at random in future years.  The bridal party would occasionally remind people to fill the bowl with cards during the reception.  If you are having programs, you may also want to have a bit in there as an extra reminder.

Are you going to have more than one #1 envelope, more than one #2 envelope, etc.?  It sounds like it from your post.  If so, I think that's a good idea.  That way, if a guest doesn't participate, then you'll have at least one envelope to choose from for that year.  I would not suggest having only one envelope for each year in case someone forgets or doesn't want to do it (you know your guests best, but from my observation at my own and other weddings, the hit ratio on cutesy things like guest books, sign-in boards, and stuff like this is low). 

For envelope templates, I suggest going onto the Paper Source Web site.  It takes some finding, but there are templates on the site you can use on your own paper.  Try rubber stamping,  embossing, or printing the numbers.  You can get free fonts from Google searches.

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008 06:46:44 AM »

You may find what you need here...

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan. " -Tom Landrey

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008 10:38:40 AM »

perhaps you can incorporate the envelopes and writing implements into the table decor??? like as part of a place card,or something along those lines.

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008 11:02:50 AM »

There's a post here on making envelopes from magazines (search "magazine envelopes") and other recycled papers. They suggest tearing apart a standard envelope to use as a template.

Sounds fun. Best wishes!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Chicago Dog
How to Make Pecan Rosemary Candied Bacon
How To Make Smashed Fried Okra
How to Make Whole Fried Okra
How to Make Southwest Cornmeal Candied Bacon
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quilted Patchwork Basket
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Spooky Halloween Decorations
Craft Challenge #110 Announced - Halloween Costume Contest!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...