A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 315,683
Currently Running With Scissors:
343 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lining a dress  (Read 415 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

katisue
« on: May 09, 2008 08:54:32 AM »

Ok, so I'm making this dress:http://www.burdastyle.com/patterns/show/752 with this alteration: http://www.burdastyle.com/howtos/show/221

How on Earth do you line a dress properly?? I've never done it before and am completely lost. The directions aren't that clear on that account, so if anyone knows anythings about this, it would be awesome!  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life isn't measured by the number of breathes you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away.

evelynbaxterdesigns.etsy.com
www.myspace.com/evelynbaxterdesigns
mandodeb
Viva Handmade!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008 11:29:53 AM »

I am finishing a lined dress today, and am in the middle of lining a second dress.  These are the first time attempts, and I can tell you that it is MUCH easier than I thought!

I am making a blue satin dress with thin spaghetti straps.  The next dress is a halter style dress. 

Both patterns said to make the lining just like the dress. You are cutting the lining bodice, midriff and skirt pieces identical to the dress. 

To join the dress and lining:  You take the lining and, with right sides together, sew the top bodice edge to the dress bodice edge.   Your dress is "inside out" and the lining is "right side out".  Put the lining inside the dress, then hold the top edges together and pin, lining up your seams.  Sew.  Iron the seam allowance as sewn.  Then iron your seam allwances open.

Iron the bodice top edge, using the iron to press the bodice a little more into the wrong side, or lining side.  What I mean here is, a very tiny 1/8 inch of the right side of the bodice is ironed toward the lining side over the seam allowance.  This is so when you wear the garment none of the lining shows. 

Then understitch the top edge of the lining to the seam allowance.  Your seam allowance is open, and you will be sewing one side of the seam allowance to the lining only.  You open up the dress, right sides out.  The good side of your dress will fall to the left of your machine as you sew.  The lining is lightweight and should just slide through on the right side of the presser foot.  Put the left edge of your pressure foot on the seam that joins the dress to the lining.  Sew the lining to the seam allowance. Be careful to sew only the lining to the seam allowance.  Don't catch any part of the dress with the sewing line.  This finishes the lining in a way that keeps the lining on the inside - it won't roll out and show when you wear it. 

« Last Edit: May 09, 2008 11:34:33 AM by mandodeb » THIS ROCKS   Logged
katisue
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008 08:34:10 PM »

Thanx! That helped a lot! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life isn't measured by the number of breathes you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away.

evelynbaxterdesigns.etsy.com
www.myspace.com/evelynbaxterdesigns
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
How to Select the Right Size Knitting Ring
How to Use Triple Crochet in Granny Squares
How to Start Knitting on a Ring Loom
How to Press Down Your Loom Knitted Material
How to Start a Loom Knitting Project
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Vermicomposting
It's a bad week to be a seal...
Flower Power!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...