A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,743
Currently Running With Scissors:
443 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Australians, where do you get your fabric?  (Read 5859 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Tailte
« on: April 27, 2008 05:14:23 AM »

Maybe I haven't been looking hard enough, but every fabric shop I've been to, and I haven't found many here in Adelaide, haven't had what I wanted. All I want is jersey fabric...you wouldn't imagine that would be too hard to find. But well, it is. That being said I do have fairly poor eyesight.  Tongue So... Australians, where do you get your fabric? Online or otherwise. Though, it might be a tad hard to get to a fabric store in Melbourne...

Thanks in advance
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog:
http://overaway.blogspot.com
It's about art, craft and other miscellaneous occurrences.

My cooking blog: http://meri-somethingsweet.blogspot.com
Miaowren
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008 02:59:07 AM »

... you're not in Brisbane so I will tell you. I'd better not catch you there... Smiley

Op shops baby. Some will have none (the ladies out the back have lashed it all) some will have a little, it will be kinda crap and it will be expensive (again, you can thank the ladies out the back)

and then some will rock your world for $1.

Always go back tothe same places too... If it's good it is always going to be good.
(I've come to the conclusion they're all good, it's just the staff that are not, if ya know what I mean...?)

Were you looking for anything in particular??
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kiewiet
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008 06:53:23 AM »

There is a place on Marion Road South Plympton called Needleworks that some times has nice knits.
DK Fabrics on Port rd used to have some - I haven't been here in a while so I can't say for sure.
If you want for costumes I would recommend going to Tricias Fabrics just off south rd (near Castle Plaza)- she has some new printed lycras in which are beaut
I know you can still order online from Knitwit in WA but they are fairly pricey and I don't know how long the process will take Wink
I'm also always on the hunt - so Ill be watching this thread closely Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tailte
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008 09:17:05 PM »

Thanks, I'll have a look at those places. I haven't ever seen any fabric at the op shops I've been to, but then I haven't been looking.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog:

kiewiet
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008 09:53:11 PM »

The ones around us have nothing Sad I suspect it is because a lot of people volunteering at these shops do crafts themselves. I know some of the charities also donate material to craft groups which do work for charitable purposes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Killer Bees
Just give me coffee and no one gets hurt!

I'm Tori's best friend........no, really!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008 10:01:12 PM »

If you want an online store, try equilter.com.  They're based in the US, but they have thousands of fabrics. And you can see swatches of them before you buy.

Big W have lots of remnants of different kinds.  You could also try them for sheets and pillowcases on sale, same with Best and Less and KMart.  Here in Brisbane we have a fabric store called Gardams.  They can be very pricey, but they always have a sale table that's packed with lovely things, even expensive off cuts like organza and embroidered lace and silk.  I picked up some lovely 2 inch wide white satin ribbon with pastel broderie englais embroidery for $2.50 a metre.  The same with the Kerrie Craig emporium.  Of course, with those glitzy fabrics, you wouldn't be making a quilt out of them, but as an accent on a blouse or a nice evening clutch purse, it's great.

I usually just buy whatever is on sale, however much of anything they have.  Lincraft is okay too, as is Spotlight.

I've bought wedding/bridesmaids dresses from St Vinnies and Lifeline.  Then I unpick the stitching and use the fabric.  It's a cheap way to get stunning fabrics that would cost you a fortune anywhere else. 

Consignment shops or factory outlets have bargains too.  You can either buy the clothing and do recons or just find a garment in a fabric you like and unpick the seams.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Moriarty, what are you doing in that piano?"
"I'm hidin' "
"Don't be silly - Haydn's been dead for years."

The Goon Show
T-Unit

Zomg. I <3 You Jack & Ianto

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008 09:16:02 AM »

Wow.! I'm in Adelaide too.! yay for Adelaidians.!

I generally buy my fabric at spotlight (though I'll be trying out some of those southish places too as I'm not TOO far from there)

I bought a black stretch cotton jersey knit kinda fabric from spotlight in the David Jones building on Rundle Mall... It was hard to find though. It was folded in half over a cardboard thingy, not like a bolt like normal fabric. and was near............... ...... Hmm

*closes eyes*

Where the fabric cutting table is, to the left if you're looking away from the elevators to the Myer centre kinda entry, on the left hand side of the table in that isle there then looking away from the table on your left hand side on the bottom shelf (I looked for hours to find this.! I hate disturbing people)

I think it was about $7 a metre........ Not sure though
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal integrity and being true to yourself. True keys to happiness.

Wist
Tailte
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008 07:12:12 PM »

Wow, I had no idea there was a spotlight in the David Jones building in Rundle Mall. I knew there was one in Myer though... Hmm. I shall have a look next time I'm there. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog:

pinkukulele
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008 07:22:43 PM »

Hey there! I also find op shops to be excellent for fabric (you do have to be vigilant, though, coz it always gets sold quickly!) and ebay is good, too. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
T-Unit

Zomg. I <3 You Jack & Ianto

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008 07:51:13 PM »

Wow, I had no idea there was a spotlight in the David Jones building in Rundle Mall. I knew there was one in Myer though... Hmm. I shall have a look next time I'm there. Thanks!

Oh..! No no. I'm all mixed up..! hah

Embarrassed Roll Eyes Embarrassed

Not David Jones Building *palmface*

It is the standard Myers one. I just dont use the myers building to go up to it. I go in through the little arcade bit after the Myers Building and then up the elevator. It's the building Radio Rentals are in too....

I'm Sorry.! that's what late night craftster foruming will do to you
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal integrity and being true to yourself. True keys to happiness.

Wist
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Peter Walsh Talks About Enough Already
Elizabeth Scott Talks About Living Dead Girl
John Carter Cash Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
Phillipa Gregory Talks About The Boleyn Inheritance Part 1
Meet Author Tonya Reiman
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...