A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,402
Currently Running With Scissors:
806 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fair Foods  (Read 4715 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hngoodlett

I'm an Aunt Ralph!

View Profile
« on: April 26, 2008 07:11:13 PM »

A few recent conversations and an "Unwrapped" showing a state fair has given me dreams of foods from fairs. Where else can you take food that is already so terrible for you, and then deep fry it?
This all led me to wonder what kinds of foods people across Craftster love from fairs or carnivals or what-not, and any recipes you might have. Share, because I must know how to deep-fry a candy bar! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist!
http://www.wists.com/hngoodlett

50 in 2011
10/50
sparrowowl
Tutorial Contributor

shiny!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008 12:52:28 AM »

I tried a deep friend oreo this one time at a football game.  It's not what you'd expect, it's all soft, like a doughnut with a super sugary, kind of grainy filling.  Wasn't such a fan.

Fried pickles, now those are tasty. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyZedral
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008 02:09:12 PM »

When I go to fairs and the like, I tend to eat things like Italian sausage and pepper sandwiches.  I've never had a deep fried candy bar, Twinkie, or Oreo. The idea kinda creeps me out. *L*  Whenever I go to to Jackson's Mill (WVa), I like to stop by the booths that have people's homemade stuff.  I bought a jar of cherry butter that was fantastic.  There are also people making kettle corn, and churches and other organizations sell things like hand-cut french fries and the like.  Oh, man, I love fairs and festivals.  *drool*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
juliusmunki

I have no excuses for my behavior

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008 02:26:59 PM »

My step dads restaurant - which has been shown on Diners Drive ins and Dives onthe food network - has tons of deep fried foods - anything by hostess - ie twinkies, ding dongs etc... he does the deep fried oreos, any candy bars, deep fried bananas with chocolate sauce, spicy pickles-my personal fave, cauliflower - not bad! , gizzards - and other various chicken parts - deep fried coke,  ice cream... on and on and on and on ...he even will serve just the fried breading with powdered sugar, and the latest is an entire burger inc. bun and fixings and deep fries the ENTIRE thing!!  They serve at least 40 of them a day!! I have not had one of those - The older I get the less fried foods like ME! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweet_apple_pie
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008 06:43:54 PM »

while i'm very anti fried crap, i would love to taste a fried Snickers bar. but you couldn't pay me to try a fried oreo.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
clrowi
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008 07:28:59 PM »

MMM yummy. Fresh mini fried donuts are my fave deep-fried fair food. As for the everyday, a family comfort food is deep fried bread balls... now THOSE are something I could eat until I felt like blowing up... and then one more!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JessicaH
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008 11:27:40 PM »

funnel cakes and cheese curds are my favorites.

mmmmm
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kaissa
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008 09:25:28 PM »

I had never heard of a deep-fried candy bar until today - someone at work was talking about them. Now, I log on and see it again. I must try it at the next county fair!

My favorite thing to get at the fair is a Chicago dog and a fresh lemonade. Then maybe some of that weird astronaut ice cream stuff. And indian fry bread. and beer. mmmm.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hngoodlett

I'm an Aunt Ralph!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008 02:12:12 PM »

I demand to know how you deep-fry Coke. I saw it on TV, but it still seems crazy. I bought kettle corn at this Dicken's Christmas thing last year and it was so good. I wanted to get the pork skins too, but I was the only one who was going to eat them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist!
http://www.wists.com/hngoodlett

50 in 2011
10/50
Mrsblocko

It's not only sticious, it's SUPER!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008 06:41:00 AM »

i had a deep fried snickers at a fair a few years ago.  I was less than impressed.  I would have rather had the snickers bar plain.

My favorite fair food is deep fried cheese curds.

ps i think the key to deep frying the candy bar is to freeze it until it is hard as a rock, then you batter it and stick it in the deep fryer. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Serve Tempura Shrimp and Vegetables
How to Make Tempura Shrimp and Vegetables Sauce
How to Make Chicken Curry
Chicken Curry: How to Fry Rempah and Cook Chicken
How to Marinate Beef for Beef Bulgogi
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...