A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,650
Currently Running With Scissors:
695 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cable Problems....  (Read 410 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bella_domanie
« on: April 26, 2008 06:34:52 PM »

For the life of me, I can not do a cable any fatter than two stitches at a time, I guess that'd be 4 stitches wide for both sides... whatever, that's not the point.  The point is, I want to do fat cables like this: http://www.lionbrand.com/stores/lionbrand/pictures/70071ada.jpg and can't do it!  I haven't been knitting for very long but am doing pretty well with it... except those damn fat cables! lol. 

Can anyone help me or give me any tips on how to get those done right?Huh  PLEASE!!!

Thank you for your time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ThreadOrYarn
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008 03:19:28 PM »

For the life of me, I can not do a cable any fatter than two stitches at a time, I guess that'd be 4 stitches wide for both sides... whatever, that's not the point.  The point is, I want to do fat cables like this: http://www.lionbrand.com/stores/lionbrand/pictures/70071ada.jpg and can't do it!  I haven't been knitting for very long but am doing pretty well with it... except those damn fat cables! lol. 

Can anyone help me or give me any tips on how to get those done right?Huh  PLEASE!!!

Thank you for your time.

What goes wrong when you do the fat cables? Do you use a cable needle (and what kind)?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bella_domanie
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008 03:26:15 PM »

Ugh.  I was told that I could use just a short wooden needle.  Which works fine for thin cables.  When I try to do it, my yarn gets horribly tight on both needles and I can't work with it and it just pulls what I've already knitted all to crap.

Do I have to use a really thin needle? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ThreadOrYarn
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008 03:40:01 PM »

Ugh.  I was told that I could use just a short wooden needle.  Which works fine for thin cables.  When I try to do it, my yarn gets horribly tight on both needles and I can't work with it and it just pulls what I've already knitted all to crap.

Do I have to use a really thin needle? 

No, you don't have to use a really thin cable needle. You need to use a cable needle that's the same or slightly (like one size) smaller than the size you're knitting with so your stitches don't 'shrink' while they're on the cable needle.  I usually use a dpn needle, but that's just because I don't do a lot of cables so I don't want to spend the few dollars on cable needles.

You can also try using a cable needle that's a tiny bit bigger, but that might give you the opposite problem where the stitches are bigger than you want, but it can't hurt to try.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bella_domanie
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008 03:41:45 PM »

Hmm.... so, am I the only one that has problems with fat cables?? lol.  They can't be that hard, can they??  They're worked the same way as the thin ones right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ThreadOrYarn
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008 03:51:14 PM »

Hmm.... so, am I the only one that has problems with fat cables?? lol.  They can't be that hard, can they??  They're worked the same way as the thin ones right?

Some yarn is just hard to cable. But yeah, they're worked the same way - move some stitches to the cable needle, hold the cable needle in front (or in back) knit a few stitches from the regular needle, then knit the stitches on the cable needle. Or whatever the pattern says to do Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bella_domanie
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008 03:54:58 PM »

Welll..... crap. lol.  Thank you for your help.  I figured that it was just me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008 09:28:41 PM »

It may also help if your stitches are looser. You might try going up a needle size or 2.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Tephra
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008 09:35:42 PM »

Are you working a specific pattern? If not, as Soozeq suggested, you might want to try a looser overall gauge. It's a lot easier to cable  with a looser gauge, especially if you aren't working with a stretchy yarn.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Update a Side Braid Hairstyle
How to Get Christina Hendricks’s Emmys Hairstyle
Trendy Hairstyles for Kids
Hair Straightening Techniques
Sexy Short Hairstyle Tips
Latest Blog Articles
August 26, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Flannel Hoodie
Magical Miniatures

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...