A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,189
Currently Running With Scissors:
524 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: circles to squares afghan opinions  (Read 506 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

little.mrs.sunshine
« on: April 25, 2008 10:58:53 PM »

Hi,

I've been making the circle to squares afghan from the lion brand website free patterns.  Its a great project and moves fast.  However, i used DK not worsted for my project, because I was stash busting, so it turned out a little smaller than I need it to.  I want it to fit a single bed and have room to "fall" a little at the sides.

Here are some pics of it so far.  One is it on my king size bed (I have a very tall husband lol)

I would like some opinions on a few things please, to help me make up my mind.
1. Should I crochet another whole blanket?
2. If I do, how should I expand it?  It needs to stay fairly long and thin.  Should I just try to arrange the squares at the sides and pick the best?
3. I changed the pattern so I used more colours.  I used a random stripe generator to help me pick the colour changes for the little squares, then reversed the colours to get the colour changes for the larger squares (16sml, 5 med, 3 lge).  I am trying to decide whether to
a) simply repeat the squares that I have already done,
b) reverse the colours but keep them the same size,
c) reverse the colours but make some med, lge, and some lge, medium, OR
d) come up with new stripes and follow the "pattern" above.
4) I'm also dithering with how to stitch them up.  You're "meant" to have the same outer colour, making it easy to stitch, but I was thinking of crocheting the squares together, but wasn't sure whether to add another colour, possibly a straw/hay colour?

Sorry for all the questions, I just find it hard to make up my mind sometimes!  Thank you!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008 01:42:45 AM by little.mrs.sunshine » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Homerof2
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008 09:08:27 AM »

I'm not sure exactly the 'look' you are going for but here are a few suggestions I have -

1)  You could just use the squares you have now, sew them together through the back loops only with either black or the blue you have used, that way the squares would stand out individually and you wouldn't see the color from the front.  Then, you could enlarge it with rows of double crochet until it was the size you want it.  This would give you the design in the middle with a border around it - the center would really stand out.  Your rows of double crochet could be all one color or stripes of the colors you have used.

2)  You could sew together what you have in the same manner suggested above and then make a bunch more small squares to enlarge it to the size you want it to be.

If it was me, I'd do suggestion #1 but it depends on what you want the final product to look like.

OR, make this into a baby blanket and start all over with worsted weight for the single size you really wanted to make in the first place.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

little.mrs.sunshine
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008 10:19:12 AM »

Thanks for the ideas. I thought it'd be easy to just crochet the squares again, to get it to the size I want, but now I've laid it out I can see that it might be a bit stricky.  Still pondering, but like the joining idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
snowyangel
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008 11:27:10 AM »

That looks so retro, i love the design!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Funky hand bags, pillows, cat toys and more UNDER $25...
www.snowyangel.etsy.com
http://www.wists.com/snowyangel2000
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon G10: Set White Balance Function
Canon G10: Set Underwater Function
Canon G10: Set Timer Function
Canon G10: Set Spot Meter Function
Canon G10: Set Shutter Priority (Tv) Function
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...