A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 298,679
Currently Running With Scissors:
663 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fiber Friday 4/25/2008  (Read 3332 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_friday  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jazzturtle
Every breath is Healing...

Life is better with jazz!

View Profile WWW
« on: April 25, 2008 06:13:56 AM »

Happy Friday Everyone!!

I've been really busy this week.. trying to build up my stock for the art show I'm in next Sunday!!

My first is from 4 Loop "baby Cakes" with a bit of white bamboo from my stash to increase yardage.  I am SOO thrilled with how it came out.  When I got my first lime green baby cake.. I was like what am I going to do with this?  but then I got another few that worked well together and they were destined to be... 
So I took these 4 babies..

Spun them thick and thin, plied with beehives and coils around an irridecent green thread..and came up with Cherry Blossom, 82 yards

My second is 100 % Tussah Silk and some angelina and firestar for sparkle!! I LOVE how it turned out!  This was my first time spinning 100% silk and it was just amazing!!  I can't wait to get more!!
Look Like Rain, 114 yards

The next is a really fun yarn with A LOT going on!!  With a base of pink and yellow merino, there's sari silk, welch and loose locks.  I spun this thick and thin with a low twist and fulled it slightly when I set it.  (batts by Renae of Terra Bella Spun)
Organized Chaos, 145 yards

The last 3 just came off the bobbins, so the photos were taken before the twist was set...

I had some fun scrappy batts in rich warm colors and I LOVE how the yarn turned out!!  It's full of everything.. wools, bamboo, soysilk, cotton and TONS of sparkles in more than 5 colors!!  I spun it thick and thin with a semi low twist.  It reminds me of a desert at sunset, right after a storm.  So the rocks are still wet and sparkling, and the colors are deeper and richer..  and there are poofy clouds...
Painted Desert Storms, 85 yards

There was a sunspot on the chair.. so I had to get an "art yarn" art shot! LOL!!

The last 2 I spun to be worked into a project together. 
The first one I created because HollyEQQ sent me some Flax in an order.  I'd never spun flax before, and she said it would look incredible with some sari silk.  Lynn (yarn wench) had sent me some mmmbellishments with angelina, handspun novelty yarn, sari silk and teal merino and merino/silk, and I had some camel down from Liz (hobbledehoy) and Steph(loop) rushed me some turquoise angelina on her way to her vacation..  so I really had fun raiding my stash for this yarn!!
Under the Sea, 74 yards

And Sea Grass, 54 yards..  Merino and Merino silk, spun thick and thin crazily wrapped with metallic copper thread

Together in the sun..

Happy Friday Everyone!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy shop-  Lots of Handspun yarn and Fun Fiber Batts!
http://Jazzturtle.etsy.com

Ravelry Group:
http://www.ravelry.com/groups/jazzturtle-creates

Flickr photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jazzturtle/

My thoughts and processes..
http://jazzturtlecreations.blogspot.com
myklia
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008 06:24:13 AM »

Man, those are some gorgeous yarns.  I like Looks Like Rain, Under the Sea, and Sea Grass, but it is all really wonderful.

I hope to join the ranks of everyone here next week.  I am going to Chicago and I hope to find a drop spindle and some roving to get started.  My book on how to spin should come today.  I can't wait.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ekioart
Queen of Procrastination

Working on it....No Really, I am......sorta

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008 07:12:35 AM »

OooH I think Under the  Sea is my fav but they are all so pretty!

I so need to order some more roving to spin. I was trying not to order any more supplies before we moved.....but I'm itching to spin!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm bringing sexy back, I think I dropped it somewhere between the donut shop and the Cheesecake Factory.

My etsy shop
http://Ekioart.etsy.com
My Wists!
http://www.wists.com/Ekioart
I blather on about stuff here.
http://ekioart.blogspot.com/
isamax
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008 07:14:14 AM »

Those are all very cool Jazzturtle!  Good luck at your show.

This one was fun to spin.  Single was wrapped with green and purple thread then plyed with some glittery commercial yarn from my stash.

I have three other skeins I spun this week waiting to be plied  Roll Eyes

Have a great week!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008 07:15:28 AM by isamax » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ba Ba Booey
the noodle princess

When you are the moon....

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008 07:44:33 AM »

holy crap! those are so gorgeous!
I'm up to my eyeballs in plants these days at my nursery job but I hope to post something later.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*spinswim* my hand-spun yarn and fiber shop!: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5546058
devotedplanet
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008 09:25:29 AM »

This is what I've done this week. It's 50% Merino and 50% silk. It was very fun to spin - fluffy and strong at the same time. The colors got all mixed up and muddled when I plied it, but the more I look at it, the more I like it. It's pretty thin - varying between sock weight and DK weight.

Idaho Wildflowers
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Not Quite Scooter Trash
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008 09:30:33 AM »

so, this is my first fiber friday...and ive got stuff from the last two weeks to show off...

first, four handdyed rovings, no idea on the weights, theyre all mill end superwash dyed with RIT powder.

this one is my favorite...i call it "eyes the color of insanity" from my favorite Flogging Molly song, The Devils Dance Floor.  i think im going to spin it up chunky-ish and make a hat out of it. maybe.

since its springtime, i did this up, "feels like rain"

for my best friend, the girliest girl i know--"feelin' fruity" aka "anabelle"

and i thought it would be a cool color combo, im not sure how much i like it, we'll see what it looks like spun up..."brusied bananas"

two handspun yarns--

100 yards worsted ish weight navajo plied coriedale comercial dyed--"cacao"

160 yards superwash worsted ish weight navajo plied, handdyed by carol(?) at the sheep shed studio--"autumnal haze"

and what im working on right now:

hand carded // blended a mix of green and a little mustard colored merino, lots of black natural alpaca and some of the leftover roving from "cacao"...this one isnt named yet, im aiming for about 300 yards of singles, and im going to ply it with some natural cream blend mill ends

on the bobbin...

and whats left to be spun...((sorry for the up close fuzzyness))

thats everything for this week...and today i have the day off...so i plan on hitting the wheel soon.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jadzy

a.k.a. Jadzeea

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008 09:39:27 AM »

Jazzturtle - They're all beautiful! I love what you did with your baby cakes Smiley I'm waiting for some more to show up to see if any coordinate with the ones I already have. I think Painted Desert Storms is my favorite one so far.

devotedplanet - Your Idaho Wildflowers are lovely... They remind me of the colors of a Monet painting.

Not Quite Scooter Trash - I like your bruised bananas... It will make neat looking yarn Smiley

No spinning for me this week, but I've started knitting a Wisp (from Knitty) with my violet handspun.  It's the first time I've tried knitting with any of my handspun & I love how it is turning out so far... Hopefully I will finish it by next week so I can share Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Not Quite Scooter Trash
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008 10:09:27 AM »

thanks Jadzy...i never just dyed something like that before on a whim without a feeling of what it would turn out like.  hopefully ill have it spun up next week to show everyone.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
feralfeminine
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008 01:51:53 PM »

Here are my favorites that I've spun this week:

Fish Pond - seafoam & pale blue bamboo with big slubs and sections of peachy-orange bamboo.

Goldfish - deep orange, yellow, and pale orange bamboo with little cocoons of firestar in orange, gold, silver, and brown.

Straw Into Gold - The minute I set eyes on this hemp fiber, I knew I was going to spin this yarn! This yarn is 50% natural straw-colored hemp and 50% golden bamboo. I started off spinning hemp all by itself, and then I slowly blended in more and more bamboo until I ended with a long section of 100% bamboo. The hemp is not super soft (imagine if mohair came from a plant, that's sort of what it feels like - fuzzy and papery), but it has amazing texture, especially when blended with the silky-smooth bamboo!

Hopefully I'll have more next week!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Magazine Holder Out of a Cereal Box
How to Make a Hot Air Balloon Centerpiece
How to Make a Magnetic Spice Rack
How to Make a Helicopter
How to Make a Lanyard
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...