A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,023
Currently Running With Scissors:
411 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Long Draw Spinning  (Read 2103 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

raynbow
« on: April 25, 2008 05:29:50 AM »

preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH')

But seriously.  Long draw spinning has been like my personal spinning demon for like the last year.  So this week I decided I'm going to conquer the beast and I'm just going to sit down and do it.

I've tried a couple different ways, and I'm still swearing more than spinning.

Has anyone wrestled with this before ?

Any tips? Tricks?  Words of reassurance?  Suggestions of good books or magazines or online articles?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
maiziemama
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008 09:32:01 AM »

I am trying to learn this method too!  I just got Paula Simmons book "Spinning for softness and speed" http://www.amazon.com/Spinning-Softness-Speed-Paula-Simmons/dp/0914842870

and it really has helped me to work on the one handed method of spinning.  You can get it for a good price directly from Pat Green Carder website ( $20).  The book is well worth having in my opinion!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nevermore
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008 08:49:10 AM »

I find that really well prepared and "grabby" fibre works better for long draw.  Have you tried a medium wool (not merino, but something coarser), and/or freshly handcarded rolags (or drum carded batts)?  I had real trouble until I tried spinning long draw from freshly carded rolags, and when I finally did, it was much easier.  It's much harder trying to do it from commercial roving.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my Etsy Shop - http://www.nevermore.etsy.com
misfitknits
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008 12:43:45 PM »

I find that really well prepared and "grabby" fibre works better for long draw.  Have you tried a medium wool (not merino, but something coarser)

i TOTALLY agree!!! this i think would be key. i, too, have been trying to master long draw for about a year. i have had minimal success with only pulling back maybe 6 or 7 inches, once you get that mastered, you can practice drawing your fiber out longer.

now here is *what i think* will be a great tip for you!!!! i have spun a wool offered from my local spinning supply store, it was called simply 'new zealand' wool, and it was a medium, coarser wool, it really grabs to itself, sometimes merino and finer wools can be like spinning silk, just sliding through your hands. i think this will really help you out. and if you can't find any wool by that name, just try any coarse, or what will probably be labeled "medium" wool.

also, there are some good videos for long draw spinning on you tube, it really helped me to be able to see someone actually DOING it, books are great, but this is real time spinning, there's nothing better besides having an actual teacher!

i hope some of these suggestions help! Smiley GOOD LUCK!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitting and spinning and the hilarity that comes along with it:
http://www.thelandofmisfitknits.blogspot.com
raynbow
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008 04:41:05 PM »

I'm going to definately try again with some different wool in my stash.  I tried the first time with some rolags I had out of my stash which I think had 2 main problems.

One, the staple length was realllllly long, so the twist got very grabby very quickly.  And second, some of them were a little sticky, not sure if it was lanolin or something from when they were dyed or what.  But again, more grabby than I wanted.

I've been digging through my stash for some more "professional" rovings that I think I'll try next.

But keep the suggestions coming, please!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lazykitty
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008 07:22:37 AM »

I haven't even tried yet, I get so scared......

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Star217
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008 11:04:48 AM »

I learned long draw using coopworth which has a long staple and is kind of sticky. I then carded it into rolags and set my tension to just be enough to take up the yarn when it's slack. I find that the position you sit in is very important, I like to sit close to the edge of my chair with a straight back (I use pillows to prevent slouching) and then I start spinning. I spin a small amount with a modified long draw to get enough yarn to set myself up and then I start the long draw. Pinching the yarn in your less dominant hand about 10 inches from the orifice start treadling and slowly pull the rolag away from the stationary hand. Then release your pinch to let the twist into the fiber (but not too much your you'll get a mess) then treadle some more and pull the rolag back more. Again let the twist into the fiber. When your hand holding the rolag can't pull away any more slowly treadle and let the yarn wind onto the bobbin, your yarn will take a little more twist during this process. If your yarn is breaking when drawing the rolag away add more twist, if your yarn is kinking up when winding onto the bobbin add less twist. You're going to have to play around with your ratios and tension before you find the sweet spot and I find that as my bobbin has more yarn on it I need to increase the tension to make up for the wider circumference of the bobbin. Hope this helps if not let me know and I'll take some pics for you.

Once you have gotten used to doing this with rolags try batts and eventually processed top. I find that processed top is not the best for long draw is it is better suited for worsted yarn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Unable to leave good enough alone!
My Store
http://stickyfingers.etsy.com

My Blog
http://stickyfingerscrafts.blogspot.com
nicolassa

How do you like my lovely hat?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008 09:04:07 AM »

Freshly carded rolags seem to work the best for me.

In my Spinning 2 class, we actually tackled double long draw.  Basically it involved "jump" drafting, then quickly pulling the drafting hand forward to redraft  the chunky spots.  It gives you a really softly-spun single with a low amount of twist, but that's if you can prevent it from breaking when you jump-draft!  Holy carp, it blew my mind.  My whole class was yelling at their wheels!  Apparently this method is called "long draw" in England and our usual version of long draw is called "American Long Draw". 

Any kind of long draw is challenging, in my book!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's me with some yarn on my head.

Etsyness:  http://WhirligigYarns.etsy.com

Bloggity:  http://whirligigyarns.blogspot.com
misfitknits
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2008 10:32:00 PM »

i know this is sort of an older post, but i had an "AHAA!!!" moment!!! i'd been drooling over ugly batts from prarie homestead fibers for a while, and finally when they were back in stocks, i ordered some.

once i started spinning them, i was finding it difficult to spin with my usual method. so i started trying different things. i tried spinning from the fold, which didn't work very well, and so i thought to try long draw. at first it was difficult to draft also, until i predrafted it *i don't usually predraft, it's just my style, and it works fine in most cases* and then it was like magic! it worked, and i was amazed, i spun the rest of the bobbin like this and was able to get a thin, very even and lovely yarn! i'm not sure what made it work this time, maybe i had never tried it with carded batts *i can't remember, i gave up on long draw AGES ago!!* and these batts are made from their left overs *literally so many fibers in those batts, way too many to name and count!* and some were quite short, no matter, long draw was like the great equalator! it was awesome, if i came to a spot of shorter fibers, i just treadled faster until i was past them!

i would HIGHLY recommend ANYONE to learn long draw spinning on these batts~ and the best part?!?! THEY'RE FREAKING %10 FOR A FULL POUND OF FIBER!!!!!!!!! and the batts are ridiculously huge, it's quite odd and interesting, not to mention great spinning fun!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitting and spinning and the hilarity that comes along with it:
http://www.thelandofmisfitknits.blogspot.com
mooshie
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008 04:25:37 PM »

i know this is sort of an older post, but i had an "AHAA!!!" moment!!! i'd been drooling over ugly batts from prarie homestead fibers for a while, and finally when they were back in stocks, i ordered some.

once i started spinning them, i was finding it difficult to spin with my usual method. so i started trying different things. i tried spinning from the fold, which didn't work very well, and so i thought to try long draw. at first it was difficult to draft also, until i predrafted it *i don't usually predraft, it's just my style, and it works fine in most cases* and then it was like magic! it worked, and i was amazed, i spun the rest of the bobbin like this and was able to get a thin, very even and lovely yarn! i'm not sure what made it work this time, maybe i had never tried it with carded batts *i can't remember, i gave up on long draw AGES ago!!* and these batts are made from their left overs *literally so many fibers in those batts, way too many to name and count!* and some were quite short, no matter, long draw was like the great equalator! it was awesome, if i came to a spot of shorter fibers, i just treadled faster until i was past them!

i would HIGHLY recommend ANYONE to learn long draw spinning on these batts~ and the best part?!?! THEY'RE FREAKING %10 FOR A FULL POUND OF FIBER!!!!!!!!! and the batts are ridiculously huge, it's quite odd and interesting, not to mention great spinning fun!!!

well, where can we see this yarn?  I totally want to see. Smiley

and as an odd note, I too had an ah hah! moment when I figured out long draw, but the funny thing to me is that I actually fing long draw easier than short draw.  does that make me wierd? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Homemade Thin Mint Ice Cream Recipe
How to Make a Raspberry and Yoghurt Cheesecake
Confetti Cake in a Jar? Yes, and Duff Goldman Shows Us How!
How to Make Baked Nespoli
Angelic Grilled Peaches Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...