A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,144
Currently Running With Scissors:
396 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Random Kindness to Strangers  (Read 5650 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shadowstealer
« on: April 25, 2008 01:23:00 AM »

So There is a back story to this, I'll try to keep it short.

Today i went to Tim Hortons (doughnut/coffee place) while in line a lady taps me on the shoulder and says this is for you and hand me a plastic bag filled with something. Turns out in the bag was a purse some candy and a little rubber ducky that quacks. I turned around to thank her and ask if i could buy her coffee but she had disappeared! Totally out of the blue, I'm still not sure what quite happend, and to be honest I'm still a little confused/disturbed (wrong word but you get the idea)

But I need to pass this good will forward and i wanted to do something crafty. Any ideas? I was thinking Knitting a bunch of preemie/baby hats for the local children's hospital (not quite the same but somewhat close) or possibly making up a bunch of something and just randomly going to people and going here this is a random act of kindness. Am i overdoing it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nymphara
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008 09:17:47 AM »

Ok, first off, that ROCKS!! I bet that totally made your day. Personally, I'd go more for the personal random act. I think that has a bigger impact on the recipient and the giver. Look how it inspired you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

funtobewith
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008 08:59:15 PM »

Neat! It's nice to pass on the goodness whenever you/we can! Great ideas! Do what moves you! Today I did a Support Our Troops event and it was very successful!!! Great fun too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Leslie <><
ruby_soho

That's what she said.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008 09:18:46 PM »

that's very cool... i'd probably do just the same thing as she did for others... make some bags, stick some dollar store loot inside, and give them to random people and make their day Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i care about you a homemade oven mitt's worth.
yoyowa

It's a fez. I wear a fez now. Fezes are cool.

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008 07:49:54 AM »

OOO, I think I'm going to get some of my friends together and do this. Or give out flowers or something. That has to make a persons day.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a fat, crafty chick. LOUD AND PROUD!

Check out my bi-weekly podcast where two twenty something heterosexual women (who act like fifty something gay men) discuss geek culture, pop culture and all things Disney, Doctor Who and theater.
http://theeclecticeccentrics.blogspot.com/
Just Plain Goose
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008 02:21:58 PM »

I think it might weird me out a little if someone just came and gave me some stuff.  One time an old man in line at front of me a coffee shop struck up a conversation with me and then paid for my order.  I know it's not crafty at all, but it definitely made my day.  Another idea if you go to college (or live in a college town), is to show up at a dorm with baked goods.  especially a dorm with a bad cafeteria.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pearliepie

I'm a llama! And I like it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008 07:04:50 AM »

Once a random woman complimented me on a beaded bracelet I had made and liked okay but wasn't super happy with so I took it off and gave it to her. She didn't want to take it, but I insisted. The look on her face was awesome- I hope she still wears it and smiles about the stranger who gave it to her.

So, I think you should make something, anything that you would be pround to wear, carry, whatever and give it to the first person who says something about it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I dream of a house covered with your art, and would love a personal swap. Pm me if you'd like to spread the crafty love! I also need blue fabric scraps for a scrap quilt!

Swaps:
smittenheart

Let go of what's already gone..

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008 07:32:37 AM »

wow..how great is that..

first I find it interesting people still do this-in a world that seems so hectic and guarded(can you tell I live in DC) its hard to open yourself up by tapping them on the shoulder out of fear of the reaction..

and that there is nothing that she wanted in return..

and that you were so gracious enough to accept it..I belong to a freecycle thing and its amazing how many people get stinky about something that they are getting for free..

I am inspired by her generosity too..see shes helped so many just with her one gesture..imagine what you can do Smiley

I do think that as crafty people we have been given such great gifts that we should take the time to do random acts of kindness..imagine if you were having an off day and got a neat package of random goodies.. Grin

just one or two bags and carefully selected recipients..how awesome would that be..

THIS ROCKS   Logged

its ME!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=327537.0

http://cowandpigdesigns.etsy.com
http://cowandpigdesigns.blogspot.com
Soap licking is dangerous..please dont try it at home

will trade some soap for a superhero cape which will be used by the kid in my avatar ^^
Nymphara
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008 09:12:45 AM »

I can't stop thinking about this thread. I really want to do this. I live in Chicago, though, and I'm just trying to figure out the logistics. How do you do this without people thinking you're crazy?

Also, I was thinking of putting a small card in each item saying something along the lines of "You are the recipient of a random act of kindness. If this has made your day a little brighter, please consider passing it on."

Thoughts?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yoyowa

It's a fez. I wear a fez now. Fezes are cool.

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008 09:28:12 AM »

i think I'm going to do roses or flowers (definately NOT food, people might think you've poisoned it). Attach a note saying they're a beautiful person inside and out, like a flower? I don't know, is that cheesy?

What other things could be given other than that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a fat, crafty chick. LOUD AND PROUD!

Check out my bi-weekly podcast where two twenty something heterosexual women (who act like fifty something gay men) discuss geek culture, pop culture and all things Disney, Doctor Who and theater.
http://theeclecticeccentrics.blogspot.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Natural Hair Braider Files Lawsuit Over Barber Laws
Different Ways To Style Wet Hair
DIY Creaseless Hair Ties
How to Get Runway-Inspired Textured Waves
Tyra Banks Suing Wig Companies For $10M
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...