A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,202
Currently Running With Scissors:
542 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Maxi Dress for Summer (now with mini tutorial on pg 2)  (Read 15548 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mienna
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2008 06:02:44 AM »

Beautiful dress, I love the pleats and waist line, and it's very flattering to boot! Can't beat it, great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewlittletime

Pink frosting is wunnerful, dahlink!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2008 06:43:53 AM »

Your dress is so pretty and it flatters you very well!!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aliceownsj00
werd homie.

Life's grand, aint it?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2008 07:10:51 AM »

oh wow, that is beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mamafox
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2008 09:38:32 AM »

well i just have to say "here, here!!" to what everyone else has said: beautiful!!
It is completely flattering, and i too would love any hints as to how you made it!
Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hellobint
DuckyFuzz craft

craftastic!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2008 01:24:18 PM »

that's lovely - i'd been meaning to replace my old maxi dress (strangely 3 year old hair dye doesn't wash out of fabric - can't think why!) and now I'm reinspired!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafting the love x
ravenztarot
YOU WANT WHAT? WHEN? YOUR JOKING!

I <3 my rotary cutters.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2008 03:08:04 PM »

i making one or trying to, you inspired me! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The best stories start with "ok officer I am going to tell you what happened"

Personal Swaps. LOVE fabrics & Vintage sewing  patterns and sewing books, tea, sewing notions, books, music, tarot anything, dragons, vampires and weres.

wist list: http://www.wists.com/ravenztarot
twylag
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2008 05:31:45 PM »

I love it!!  I am trying to figure out how to make a top like that right now.  Really pretty.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cheebz

I make clothes for imaginary people

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2008 03:30:44 PM »

I love the way the skirt falls! So nice! The top is flattering too, even with no sleeves.
Could I ask you a small question?  Smiley, Is the skirt a square piece just gathered in the right places? Or is it shapes? ...like "A" shapes or trapezoids (lol) or whatever they're called...It's ok if you don't have time to answer, I think the dress looks great on you, very nice job!

The skirt is an altered version of the disastrous Simplicity 3867 seen here. (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=205845.msg2198232#msg2198232)
The original skirt shape is an a-line with about 16" added to the waist on each front and back piece. This excess is taken in by a series of eight 1" tucks measuring 3.5" inches in length (the length from my under-bust to my waist). This allows the garment to flair out over the hips and still provide definition to the waist.

I love it!!  I am trying to figure out how to make a top like that right now.  Really pretty.

I used the Burda Style sloper and altered it to fit me really well. Then I measured from my shoulder to where I wanted the waist line to hit and cut the sloper to that length. Next, I measured from the sloper neckline to where on my body I wanted the panel to hit and how wide I wanted it to be and modified it accordingly. I split the vertical dart into two darts half the original size and joined one to the side dart (this involved me actually pinning the darts on my body...oh, for a dress form). The back is just your basic sloper back, but shortened. I cut the lining out of the exact same pattern and used the grey that was supposed to be the belt to make decorative binding. Here is a picture showing what I did (the black is the original sloper and the red my modifications).
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v382/henabebe/maxisloper.jpg

It really is beautiful, and you look lovely in it.  I think I have a similar body shape as you - any hope for some pattern tips?

I'm 5' 10" tall with big boobs and giant birthing hips. If I want a top to fit me properly, I pretty much have to make it myself. I base most of my patterns off of a sloper I created based off of the one on Burda Style. I've found that tops fit much better on me when I split the vertical bust dart into two shorter darts, rather than one long one. Princess seams work well on me too. I have a very defined waist, but it is also very high up when compared to most traditional patterns. So something with a "natural waist" sits on my high hip and makes me look short. This particular dress has lengthened the area in question by creating a straight fitted line from my under bust to my waist, making me look more in proportion. I mask my hips by flaring the skirt out from the waist. For dresses and skirts, this generally works best if the hem hits slightly below the knee, to soften the flair effect and continue the line so that I do not visually cut myself in half. It can be done with tunic tops too, but I tend to want to end the "skirt" of the top either at the top of my hips (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=225430.msg2439077#msg2439077) or below them just above crotch-level. The main goal with tops is to create a balanced look where I have approximately the same amount of space at the top and bottom of the garment (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=33778;sa=showTopics;start=10). When dealing with line and color, I tend to want to emphasize both my vertical features and my hourglass shape. I use a lot of belt effects and pleats and tucks to achieve this goal.

As for actual patterns, I suggest finding a sloper pattern ( check out Burda Style or http://www.panix.com/~aqn/tailoring2/drafting/index.html) and altering it to fit your needs. If you've never worked off of a sloper before, look for commercial patterns that fit your needs and compare them to the sloper to see how they have been altered, or check out a book on pattern drafting. I tend to like the shape of simplicity patterns, but the patterns themselves are kind of stupid when it comes to getting a good fit. However, altering commercial patterns is a really good way to learn how to make your own patterns and can be a nice shortcut when you just want your garment to be done.

Sorry for the novel. I hope this helped everyone.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012 07:57:09 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working image(s) to link(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
oneredboot
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2008 07:02:09 PM »

cheebz, this is inspiring.  you have amazing talent!  really, really beautiful dress.  and it looks so lovely on you!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shes craftastic

Runs with Scissors

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2008 12:27:23 AM »

This is lovely! I was lookin to try my hand at some maxi dresses and you make it look so easy. Is it a pull over or did you install a zipper?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw an Embarrassed Face Manga Style
How to Paint a Building in Two-Point Perspective
How to Draw a Cartoon Face
How to Create a Silk Painting
How to Learn Fabric Painting Techniques
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...