A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 299,122
Currently Running With Scissors:
613 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wedding lighting-help urgently needed!!  (Read 1068 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ohsaysaysay
« on: April 24, 2008 06:22:49 PM »

So I need help fast...i'm getting married in 22 days and I haven't figured out my lighting at my reception yet...someone offered to lend me some round mirrors and I was thinking of just putting candles on them.  But I was wondering if that would provide enought light?  How many candles would I need on a round table with 8 people to provide enough light?  The lights are going to be off so i'm hoping that I can light up the room with candles and I'm just wondering if this is possible.  Does anyone have any other cheap and easy lighting ideas.  I have access to my future sister in laws thousands of mini lights that she was going to use for her wedding that never happened Undecided..I'm so lost right now and need a lot of help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008 06:35:53 PM »

I think you'd need quite a few candles to light up the room and they're going to start putting off quite a bit of heat.  How big is the whole room?

You might also have problems with photography turning out well in that dim of a situation.  How about candles on the tables and hanging paper lanterns?

What sort of theme/mood is your decor so far?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ruby_soho

That's what she said.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008 06:54:57 PM »

i would go with led or lcd candles if you can, would be more safe that way... and i think the hanging lanterns are a good idea, as well as the hanging mini lights, but even still, that's not much lighting.  is there a dj or rental place that might have some other options for you?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i care about you a homemade oven mitt's worth.
thekster
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008 09:25:28 PM »

I think no matter how many candles you had, it would still be really dim. As a guest, I'd be REALLY nervous that I'd bump into one and start a fire. I think led/lcd candles would be a good idea, but imo they're not that cheap (the ones I've seen anyways.) Is there a particular reason you want/need the lights off, other than ambiance?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Elbow grease is the best polish!
"If I hold my tongue just right, and I hold my breath...it will work." - Carol Duvall

www.facebook.com/kernkerncrafts  

the link is calling to you! click it and enjoy. enjoy, damn you!
Kpooh
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008 03:15:21 AM »

Use the tiny white Christmas lights around the upper portion of the room & combined with the candles/fake candles/or wedding lights, you should have plenty of light. I would use fake candles instead of real ones if at all possible...you dont want your wedding day ending with someone getting caught on fire.  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GrandTheftUno
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008 10:22:22 AM »

non-solar powered patio lights might work, too. You could "plant" them into pots, and then put them in your yard after.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jadeye
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008 11:07:21 PM »

Have you talked to your photographer about lighting conditions yet?  I photograph weddings for a living and with the equipment I have it would probably not be a problem, but if the photographer you choose doesn't have powerful lighting your pictures could come out dark and grainy
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008 11:08:01 PM by jadeye » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Raine_Dementia
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008 07:26:35 PM »

LED candles don't put off heat, you can get them big, small, and even submersible ones (though a bit of weight added and a piece of tape over the bottom of a small normal LED tealight makes it submersible. I actually tested that theory using one of mine, so if you bury/disguise them you can have them glowing through crystals, water, etc.. I'll post a link if I ever decide exactly what I'm doing with mine. This is what they look like, nothing special at first but you can get wax-coated and rose shaped ones as well:

http://www.100candles.com/Images/Items/rechargeable_led_candle.jpg

Also, Michaels sells a fantastic little device I'm playing with right now. it's a floral light, tiny bulbs about the size of an LED, though their not LEDs.. Their battery operated, just like the LED candles and come with several ends you can stick into flowers (I'm doing paper flowers so that's of interest to me) or run through gauze or some such.

They look like this:

http://www.residential-landscape-lighting-design.com/store/images/AL_xll_10bat.jpg

You can get long 30 foot chains, or ones with individual ends. The possibilities are fantastic, and both these options mean you run a lot safer than having a lot of real candles. Because, let's face it, fire will generally bring out the stupid in at least one guest, whether it's a singed drapey sleeve or just spilling hot wax on a nice tablecloth.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you want rainbows, you must learn to live with the rain.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Poet Terrance Hayes Practices Creativity
Literary Vs. Commercial Fiction: Why Success Matters
Cheryl Strayed: How to Survive Family and Loss
Marie Arana on Simon De Bolivar
Carry On, Warrior by Glennon Doyle Melton
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...