A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,684
Currently Running With Scissors:
578 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Feng Shui Ideas  (Read 1880 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lee Funny

Pi= 3.1415926535897932384626433832795028841971

View Profile
« on: June 29, 2005 05:31:45 PM »

Do you people have any ideas on how you could make a room feng shui style? Do you have any ways of including a zen garden? Maybe in a flower pot, etc.... I don't know, just please help me.
[/glow]

THIS ROCKS   Logged
allerby

You gave me the best mix tape I have

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2005 06:56:27 AM »

There are TONS of feng shui books out there for your enjoyment... just pick one up and peruse the ideas.  Feng shui isn't really a style, but really a way of arranging the furniture in the room to allow for maximum spiritual harmony or something like that.  A lot of the time they reccomend putting crystals in certain parts of the room... so maybe some different crystal beaded wall hangings, or a fan pull made from a pretty crystal.  And a surefire way to make your room look sort of chinese and zen is to put some bamboo in there.  You can put it in a pot that you've decorated with red and black fabric (think decoupage maybe) or chinese symbols (make sure you're not cussing your guests out!)  Bamboo is really simple and easy to care for... all it needs is some water every now and then.  Even my ten year old brother can take care of some bamboo!  I also like the look of those room dividers... my friend has one with some chinese symbols on it that looks really awesome.  They fold to stand up (someone help me with the name of those?)  and can add dimension to an otherwise drab room.  Good luck getting zen!

Check out this window treatment as well!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=38915.0
« Last Edit: June 30, 2005 07:01:09 AM by allerby » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have measured out my life with coffee spoons

Check out this awesome craft blog: http://deadladyyarn.wordpress.com/  (And I'm not just saying that because it's my BFF's Wink )
acfcheung
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2005 01:25:21 PM »

Feng Shui isn't really a type of style or something it's a lifestyle. On the exterior of the house yhou can put two stone lion statues on the front of your door. Also you can add flags in a straight row and add a minature pond with fountain. If there is a bridge around your house it effects the Feng Shui because some might believe it to be a blade tearing the building apart. Also use Lotus plants to yeah make your Feng Shui better.

In interior most of your tables should be black such as you dining table or office table. Black for the dining table make your food look more appetizing and also black on an office table in the past personally has made me stay focus. Most of your rooms should have windows that have an access of sunlight. Also most of the light bulbs in the room should be bright (flourescent), except your bedrooms. This is a couple of small ways to improve your Feng Shui.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Saturn
The Ditzy Gypsy

Dance first. Think later.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005 03:55:24 PM »

I also like the look of those room dividers... my friend has one with some Chinese symbols on it that looks really awesome.  They fold to stand up (someone help me with the name of those?) 

Shoji Screens ^_^

They have them on Overstock.com at really great prices.

As for Feng Shui, I try to follow it to a certain extent. I'm still at my mother's, so it's hard to blend with her "Florida/tacky tropical" motif. Thank goodness I'm moving soon. ^_^ But my bedroom is very Asian/Zen inspired. Without really knowing to much about them, I picked up a windchime made from replica Chinese coins at Pier1 Imports and also a three-legged toad figure that is standing on Chinese coins and has one in his mouth. Because of my ignorance, I put them in my room thinking that since they were Feng Shui wealth symbols, they would bring my boyfriend and I luck with our business dealings. Well, we did have plenty of good business, but my boyfriend went to bed thinking about business, woke up thinking about business, and even dreamed about business! Soon we were even arguing about money! Sure enough, I looked into my Feng Shui book and it warned against the useage of money symbols in bedrooms. I placed them in other areas of my house that my book reccomended and things have been fine since.  Go figure.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am currently in:
WWP Round 29 Lughnasdagh 2011 swap!
Date to send item by: 07-25-11
fancyjulia
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2005 05:52:44 PM »

Feng Shui is an ancient practice and there is a LOT to it. You place things in your house based on your KUA number which is calculated a certain way, etc. I would go pick up a book on it. I know Lillian Too is really famous for it, I think I have a book of her's laying around. It's interesting and does work, if only psychologically. It seems to me these days its becoming very commercialized and is a way to sell stuff so don't fall into that! Try and do some research on the history and beliefs of it first.

This website explains some of the history of it.

http://www.chiofearth.com/history.htm

and this is kind of a scary newer one, but probably has some good info. Get your feng shui polo shirt!

http://www.wofs.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Saturn
The Ditzy Gypsy

Dance first. Think later.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2005 08:39:04 PM »

I know Lillian Too is really famous for it, I think I have a book of hers laying around. It's interesting and does work, if only psychologically.

My book is by her! I have "Practical Feng Shui: Symbols of Good Fortune"

I have collected quite a few items that would qualify as Feng Shui symbols or could be used as such. I haven't looked into it extensively, but I definitely will when I move into my new home! ^_<

But I will tell you a secret...

I find that the best Feng Shui comes with having a clean and organized living space. It doesn't matter how many crystals I set out, if the house is dirty and cluttered, I feel like I have work to do and I can't really relax until I clean it up. I'm not a major clean freak or anything, but I have learned that cleaning up a mess after it's been made has made my life easier, instead of having everything pile up. Cleanliness puts me in a good mood as well as the people that live with me. My advice is to not ignore messes around your house, simple quick clean-ups can have as much effect on your mood and stress level as that over-priced zen garden at the Discovery Channel Store. Think of those tracks you make vacuuming as raking your zen garden.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am currently in:
WWP Round 29 Lughnasdagh 2011 swap!
Date to send item by: 07-25-11
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Use a Dome Round Brush to Paint Highlights
How to Draw Cartoons Using Basic Letters
How to Draw a Mouse Tutorial
How to Draw a Sleeping Cat Tutorial
How to Draw Various Comic Figures
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...