A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,507
Currently Running With Scissors:
394 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Rainbow Blanket/Afghan Help  (Read 652 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Manji
« on: April 24, 2008 02:52:20 PM »

So, for my very first crocheted blanket, I want to make a LGBTQ pride flag. As there are no patterns for such a blanket, I am having some trouble trying to decide how to go about doing it. Which would be easier and/or look the best? a) Doing it all at once, switching the yarn after 10 rows or so b) making a "scarf" of each color and then sewing them together or c) doing it small granny square style and stitching all of them together at the end. Any input would be of great help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008 06:07:26 PM »

A common complaint with making afghans in pieces is weaving in the ends.  If you make it as one piece you can crochet over the ends of the previous colour so all you'll be left with is the tail at the beginning and the tail at the end to deal with.

If it were me, I'd do it all in one piece.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sactownsue
The world is a circle...

MrMiagi '01 - aka rascal - We miss you MissDaisy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008 06:22:54 PM »

LGBTQ ?

With all one piece as fantasticmio said when you're done you're done. If you are planning six colors at 10" per color you end up with 60" times the width. So basically a lap size afghan. Is that your goal? The "scarf" idea will be noticeable where the edges are joined. With small squares you will have far more options for layout but as fantasticmio said lots of ends to take care of. I have learned from doing grannies square and such to weave the ends in as I go. Or do a bunch of squares then weave those ends in. Then do some more squares.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MAKE: something of yourself
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
"Everything is deeply intertwingled." - Ted Nelson, ca 1974
wists-fulness - http://wists.com/SacTownSue/

Rarely online these days. Will respond to PM when I notice them. AT&T SNAFU!
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008 04:24:02 AM »

sactownsue: LGBTQ stands for (roughly) lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender/queer (there are some other terms that share letters, but you get the idea I think ^_^)

Manji: I just remembered the downside to doing it all in one piece: if it's warm where you live it can get to be a problem as the afghan gets bigger!

I'd still do it as one piece.  I haven't found a joining method that I really like yet.

It'd be easy enough to figure out how big to make each stripe, just decide how big you want the blanket to be and divide by the number of colours you're using.  Then start stitching the first colour until it's the right size, count the rows, and make the others the same number of rows (assuming you're using the same kind of yarn for each, of course).

You'll have to post pictures of it when you're done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dotsamantha
getting better at being happy

"All I hear is Easter Bunny, Easter Bunny"

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008 06:46:01 AM »

I agree with the other comments also. It's nice to crochet right over the ends. You do have a lot of options though. Do you want to stick to stripes across, or are you comfortable with a ripple or star shape? There are tons of possibilities.

A rainbow star blanket from kbauer
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=217400.0

Granny rainbows from RedMenace and flyingmouse29
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=160250.0
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=141332.0

superstitch's stripey afghan (which could easily be done in rainbow)
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=227588.0

boarderchic's stripes afghan
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=96295.0

I think any version could be awesome honestly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Well, um, actually a pretty nice little Saturday, we're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time."

http://www.ravelry.com/people/dotsamantha
SummerGirlfriend
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008 07:02:33 PM »

http://www.coatsandclark.com/Crafts/Crochet/Projects/AfghansThrows/CD723-06+Motif+Mania.htm

This is a pattern where you join little grannies as you go.  They list ideas for doing shawls and such, but you could make an afghan pretty easily.  I've tried the pattern out with some scrap yarn, and it makes a fairly light weight square.

ps to dotsamantha -- thanks for putting those links together.  I'm trying to make up my mind on a huge multicolored afghan myself, and that gave me some great options.  Also, I remembered seeing and loving the one by superstitch, but couldn't for the life of me remember anything useful about it when trying to find it again...thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"She looks like she washes her hair in streams and milks things..."  BB
grace*l ossein
Grace'l... In the gourd, craftin' nightmares - Back soon...

singin' that ol' time fallen angel gospel music

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008 07:29:03 PM »

I've been working on and off on a leather pride afghan for ages and faced the same question... I decided on doing little granny squares, and stitching them together into stripes and then assembling the stripes - I'm guessing this is kind of like what SummerGirlfriend is linking to, but I can't read patterns to save my life! But this way I could work on parts as I had time - grannys when I only had a few stolen moments and stitching when I could spend a little more time on the project. This has suited both my crazy schedule and occasionally short attention span Wink
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008 07:31:07 PM by grace*l ossein - Reason: bad grammar » THIS ROCKS   Logged

i'm going straight to hell
ain't nothing slowing me down
i'm going straight to hell,
so you just better get me one more round!
-III-

WILL SWAP *ANYTHING* FOR BPAL
Pandabunnie
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008 03:09:08 AM »

I actually made a rainbow pride blanket as a gift when I first started crocheting. I used a I hook and caron simply soft brites yarn and crocheted it all in one piece. I just chained until the afghan was as wide as I wanted it to be and then half double crocheted. You can decide on how big each stripe is depending on your gauge and how big you want it to be. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I <3 yarn
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
3D Features - PSCS4 Sneak Peek
Video Improvements - PSCS4 Sneak Peek
Peachpit TV: Grid View in Bridge CS4
Refining Edges in Photoshop
Peachpit TV: Photoshop CS4 Camera Raw Vignette Tip
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...