A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,789
Currently Running With Scissors:
620 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Birthday Afghan  (Read 2338 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: April 24, 2008 02:46:46 PM »

I'm calling this one the Birthday Afghan because I made it for myself for my birthday, purchasing the wool with money that I received from my family for said birthday.

I saw these four colours in a ball of varigated wool from Patons and unfortunately it's been my experience that when I try to make something with varigated wool it always looks better wrapped up as a skein, than as a project. So, I was really happy when I realized the colours in the varigated mix were also available from Patons in separate skeins. I just love how they look together!

The colours are Patons Decor in Pale Sage Green, Pale Aubergine, Aran, and Taupe. The pattern is based on the Float Away Scarf which can be found here: http://www.knittingdaily.com/freepatterns/crochet/Float_away222-1.html. I put in a couple extra repeats of the pattern to make it wider and changed colours after every three rows. It took two skeins of each colour, so a total of eight balls of wool were bought.

Just for a time reference, I started working on this during the last two weeks of February. My birthday is March 1, and I just finished it last night (April 23). Not bad, although I ambitiously started it thinking I would actually have it done by my birthday. Hey, at least I got it done before my next birthday!

While I've done lots of crocheting in the round, including several round ripple afghans, this is the first time I've actually crocheted a large project where I had to work in rows and turning chains. As you can see, I actually managed to keep things even and didn't lose or gain any unwanted stitches, which is usually what happens when I'm working in rows.

Sorry, I can't seem to stop taking pictures of this thing. The boyfriend and I ended up taking over 40 shots, trying to get the camera to give us an accurate representation of the colours. (Thank goodness for digital cameras, at least we weren't wasting film) I think these pics show the blankets true colours best.

What you can't tell from the picture is that the blanket is very soft and it's also going to be quite warm, which will be nice for snuggling up in front of the TV in winter. The Patons Decor is a wonderful wool to crochet with. I was really impressed with how easy it was to work with, no fraying or splitting.
Thanks for looking!

I've started my own crochet blog, have a look...http://cthulhucrochet.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008 03:06:25 PM »

The colors look great together and the afghan looks wonderfully warm! Happy late birthday  Smiley
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008 03:12:46 PM »

It's beautiful!  The colors are lovely -- I agree these colors look better as stripes than they would in a variegated yarn.  Great work, and happy birthday. 
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008 03:58:31 PM »

Beautiful!!  I love ripple afghans.  And those colors are amazing.

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008 04:46:58 PM »

You chose beautiful colors..great job.

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008 06:52:31 PM »

Happy late Birthday! We share the same birthday.. yay!  Grin

I think you've done a great job on keeping it so even, n i want to snuggle under it! The colours are really nice together you are right!  Grin

Faery Dust's Profile

Fill my heart with song and let me sing forever

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008 09:55:27 PM »

I love the color combination! It's beautiful!

I do personal swaps if anybody is interested please PM me!

There should be a twelve step program for crafting

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008 04:29:14 AM »

Beautiful!!!!I'm thinking of doing this pattern for an afghan for my cousin for her wedding (diff colors though, she's doing an autumn colored wedding). PLUS. My b-day is March 1st too:) Happy belated!
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008 04:41:56 PM »

very nice
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008 04:50:36 PM »

Gorgeous colors makes a gorgeous blanket!

Crocheting is like prostitution.  First you do it for love, and then for a few close friends, and then for money.  Maybe that is why they call us Hookers?
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Rotate a Video Clip
How to Choose Colors for Powerpoint
How to Use Adobe Photoshop Elements
How to Blur Faces in Videos
How to Design a Magazine Front Cover in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kindling Bundle
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters
@Home This Weekend: Rustic Wreath

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...