A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,551
Currently Running With Scissors:
331 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: yet another pearler bead project  (Read 5358 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

miranda_ail
« on: January 30, 2005 11:07:13 AM »

I'm really satisfied with how this turned out although I can't take all the credit for it.
It's made after a picture by the oh so great and oh so talented graffitti artist fafi (www.fafi.net)

http://www.miranda.ail.xix.nu/crafts/fafi1.jpg
bigger picture >> http://www.miranda.ail.xix.nu/crafts/fafi1.jpg

http://www.miranda.ail.xix.nu/crafts/fafi2.jpg
bigger picture --> http://www.miranda.ail.xix.nu/crafts/fafi2.jp

/Linda
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011 06:45:29 AM by TheSapphireMoon » THIS ROCKS   Logged
jess.eeeka
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2005 11:33:59 AM »

OH, I love Fafi!  She's seriously one of the best graffiti artists out there, and she's a chick!  woo!  You've done a great job capturing her style.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
miranda_ail
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2005 11:50:33 AM »

OH, I love Fafi!  She's seriously one of the best graffiti artists out there, and she's a chick!  woo!  You've done a great job capturing her style.  Smiley

Thank you =)

I love her too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
katier

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2005 03:07:41 PM »

Okay, I am a retard. What is this exactly? Beads? If so... OMFG! That must have taken you forever and a day. It looks awesome though. I love anything crafty that involves a bit of nakedness! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I don't need a baby growing inside me for nine months. For one thing, there's morning sickness. If I'm going to feel nauseous and achy when I wake up, I want to achieve that state the old fashioned way: getting good and drunk the night before.
--Ellen DeGeneres
PixieSkull
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Glittery Macabre

Nat 20! Woot!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2005 08:19:55 AM »

I like it... a lot. Ben Franklin had a clearance sale on a pearler bead kit containing about 80,000 (or more thousands of) beads.

Very nice Smiley I like graffiti stuff, too
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*My Etsy Shop*~
I'm a level 9 rouge, b***h!
I do personal swaps!
perilously_divine
Moi

Keep on Rock'n in the Craft World

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2005 06:25:49 PM »

Okay, I am a retard. What is this exactly? Beads? If so... OMFG! That must have taken you forever and a day. It looks awesome though. I love anything crafty that involves a bit of nakedness! Wink

i was wondering the same!!!  it looks great however it is done Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
miranda_ail
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2005 04:02:05 AM »

Yep, it's beads put on a pegboard and then ironed together. I used to them a lot as a kid but it's much more fun now =)
http://www.perlerbeads.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
miranda_ail
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2005 04:02:49 AM »

i was wondering the same!!!  it looks great however it is done Cheesy

hey, thanks! =)
take a look at this link and you'll understand: http://www.perlerbeads.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
miranda_ail
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2005 04:04:19 AM »

I like it... a lot. Ben Franklin had a clearance sale on a pearler bead kit containing about 80,000 (or more thousands of) beads.

Very nice Smiley I like graffiti stuff, too

Thanks! =)

I'm from sweden though so we don't have that store over here.
And also I prefer buying the beads color by color 'cos it takes ages sorting them out =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
perilously_divine
Moi

Keep on Rock'n in the Craft World

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2005 04:43:41 AM »

^ okay i understand now:) I have a few of those beads now.  I can buy them here in Canada, but actually when i was in denmark is when i bought the ones that i have.   i really have to try this. did u buy the large peg board or make it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
decibel
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2005 05:16:08 AM »

And also I prefer buying the beads color by color 'cos it takes ages sorting them out =)

(Tror det r dags att fixa ett svrje-forum hr p Craftster snart - vi har blivit ganska mnga!?) Grin

Ouch, tell me about it. I'm always buying those mini-beads and they don't come in separate colors at all (that I know of - anyone else knows?). I'm doing the same thing as you are, and I agree - it is more fun now than it was when I was a wee little girl in pre-school. My latest prlplatt-project is doing a Yoko Ono one... She's cool. Yeah!

It's hell sorting them, and it's always resulting in me having a baaaaadly sore back and totally messed up eyes. Crafts are bad for you! Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged
decibel
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2005 05:24:08 AM »

^ okay i understand now:) I have a few of those beads now.  I can buy them here in Canada, but actually when i was in denmark is when i bought the ones that i have.   i really have to try this. did u buy the large peg board or make it?

You can buy small peg boards and put them toghether (it has some sort of puzzle mecanism). I don't think it would be possible to make your own board and not go insane, Shocked but who knows...

Speaking of Denmark, this site is very useful:
http://www.hama.dk/
It has all the products needed, ideas and instructions.

I guess they take international orders, in case you don't find peg boards where you live... But then again, they ought to carry this stuff somewhere in Canada... Your local craft store maybe?

Good luck with your first fuse-bead project, you're gonna have a lot of fun! Wink

« Last Edit: February 05, 2005 05:35:18 AM by decibel » THIS ROCKS   Logged
miranda_ail
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2005 06:03:37 AM »

yes, i used the larger one 29x29 pegs. and then i made that one with 3x3 perler beads and glued them onto a cardboard. there are actually pegboards that you can hook on to eachother and do it as big as you want but i rather glue them together later. it must be really hard to iron a perler bead from 3x3 pegboards.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
miranda_ail
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2005 06:07:25 AM »

(Tror det r dags att fixa ett svrje-forum hr p Craftster snart - vi har blivit ganska mnga!?) Grin

Ouch, tell me about it. I'm always buying those mini-beads and they don't come in separate colors at all (that I know of - anyone else knows?). I'm doing the same thing as you are, and I agree - it is more fun now than it was when I was a wee little girl in pre-school. My latest prlplatt-project is doing a Yoko Ono one... She's cool. Yeah!

It's hell sorting them, and it's always resulting in me having a baaaaadly sore back and totally messed up eyes. Crafts are bad for you! Cheesy

(Det lter som en bra id  Cheesy )

I do that sometimes to, becuase i have this large bucket of beads that i need to finish. but most of the times i buy beads from a local craft store that carry stuff from panduro. you could always order from them (www.panduro.se) and if you have their catalogue you can even see the colors and decide before which ones you want.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
i_squared_u

hurray for right angles!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2005 08:12:44 AM »

I am a huge Fafi, Kat + Miss Van fan.

I'm in the process of copying a Miss Van painting onto a cabinet at the moment.

But nothing compares to what you just posted.

It's so awesome.

I'm so jealous.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
OurJuliet
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2005 05:16:09 PM »

I've never played with perler beads, but I think my daughter would love them!  Here's my question...if we made the design on the pegboard but left out one bead where the hole in a necklace would normally go...would these be sturdy enough after ironed to stay together and work as a pendant on a little girl's necklace?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
miranda_ail
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2005 01:36:01 AM »

I've never played with perler beads, but I think my daughter would love them!  Here's my question...if we made the design on the pegboard but left out one bead where the hole in a necklace would normally go...would these be sturdy enough after ironed to stay together and work as a pendant on a little girl's necklace?

That would definetly work! Leaving out just one bead won't matter. Be careful so that you don't iron the peg though! I've done that a couple of times and ruined peg boards.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
miranda_ail
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2005 01:36:51 AM »

I am a huge Fafi, Kat + Miss Van fan.

I'm in the process of copying a Miss Van painting onto a cabinet at the moment.

But nothing compares to what you just posted.

It's so awesome.

I'm so jealous.

Hey, thank you!
I'm glad you like it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
decibel
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2005 03:26:51 AM »

Here's my question...if we made the design on the pegboard but left out one bead where the hole in a necklace would normally go...would these be sturdy enough after ironed to stay together and work as a pendant on a little girl's necklace?

I'm always making earrings and necklace "charms", especially out of the mini beads, and I don't usually leave one bead out. After ironing (for the minis - on the lowest setting) I just poke with a needle where the beads "natural" hole is (now clogged with a very thin layer of plastic) and put the string through. Easy as cake. And it holds together very good whether you choose to leave one or more beads out.

I've never experienced any of my classy plastic bead creations break, not even at a high level of drunken dancing. Wink

http://www.hama.dk/

Check this site out. They have a line called "Miss Hama" which includes jewelry making kits for little girly beaders. It might be more fun for you guys to make up own designs though...

Good luck and have fun...

THIS ROCKS   Logged
artzyfartzy
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2005 07:32:42 AM »

yes, i used the larger one 29x29 pegs. and then i made that one with 3x3 perler beads and glued them onto a cardboard. there are actually pegboards that you can hook on to eachother and do it as big as you want but i rather glue them together later. it must be really hard to iron a perler bead from 3x3 pegboards.

my husband is working on a big portrait too.... he wasnt sure whether or not to iron them?  what kind of glue did u use?  My daughter wanted to make a little ornament but I wasnt sure how to iron hers??  all perlerbeads.com says is to follow manufacturers instructions yadayada ...??  and what is ironing paper?  can I use any ole ' paper?  our perlers were refill packs and didnt come w/any paper  Embarrassed .. i tried regular paper on a medium setting but not all the perlers melted and some melted tooo much and the holes got smaller!!! it was a mess! Helppp please! I figure you must know somethin' about this w/all your wonderful perler projects  Grin thanks! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

miranda_ail
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2005 11:10:39 AM »

my husband is working on a big portrait too.... he wasnt sure whether or not to iron them?  what kind of glue did u use?  My daughter wanted to make a little ornament but I wasnt sure how to iron hers??  all perlerbeads.com says is to follow manufacturers instructions yadayada ...??  and what is ironing paper?  can I use any ole ' paper?  our perlers were refill packs and didnt come w/any paper  Embarrassed .. i tried regular paper on a medium setting but not all the perlers melted and some melted tooo much and the holes got smaller!!! it was a mess! Helppp please! I figure you must know somethin' about this w/all your wonderful perler projects  Grin thanks! Smiley
Shocked

I think you have to iron them, how else would the stick together? I used glue made for wood, you now those big bottles, to glue them to the background (cardboard i.e.) but i ironed them first. The kind of paper you use for baking tins will do just fine. I always use that and then iron at medium to high heath. The hard part is to iron it even, you'll have to iron the entire perler bead and look careful so that it looks even and that all beads stick together. Too much heat will make the beads look square. I think you'll have to try a couple of times. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Playing Darts - Games of 301 and 501
Playing Darts - Proper Technique
Playing Darts - Equipment
Playing Darts - Basics
Learn how to Make Henna and the Henna Cone
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...