A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 301,966
Currently Running With Scissors:
485 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: serger-what for?  (Read 1499 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jsuzanne
« on: April 23, 2008 09:00:00 PM »

I bought a serger a few months ago, it's been collecting dust and I'm wondering now why I even bought it (other than reading that everyone who's anyone serges Roll Eyes, LOL!)?  I'm still unclear about just what they're used for, other than finishing seams...which IMO zigzags are fine and really durable.  So, my question is what do you use your serger for and basically what's so great about them?

also, this is the inexpensive one I have-bad choice, piece of junk, good, or what?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Singer-14SH654-Serger-With-Free-Arm-Design-NEW_W0QQitemZ320240497269QQihZ011QQcategoryZ28166QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

thanks Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008 07:04:04 AM »

Honestly sergers are sort of a love hate item- either you love it or you hate it, few people are indifferent about them.

I use my serger for speed and clean seams mostly. The nice thing about a serger is you are sewing the seam and finishing it all in one step, there's no need to sew first then serge or vice versa- it combines them. This is particularly usefull on full ruffled skirts and other things that take forever to sew anyway, not having to repeat the time spent is glorious. How much faster it sews than my machine is very nice too.

Sergers have their downside, the cutting edge being a 'screw up and might as well toss it' factor. The threading takes some learning and can be quite frustrating.

Just break it out & try something!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lilgrlbleu
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008 09:06:08 PM »

I usually lurk on the boards (although have wanted to post my creations for the longest), but I knew I had to reply to this one. First, I have waited for a serger for the past three years and finally purchased one a few months ago (not an expensive model, just under 200.00). Anyway, I am so happy I got it. I think the serger comes in handy if you are planning to make items for children (extremely durable stitches), for gifts, or if yo plan to sell your items as it gives a clean professional finish to your items, much more than a sewing machine would. Also, you can use the serger to gather fabric if you want to make ruffles, as well as, making a narrow rolled hem if you want a quick easy hem.

I do understand what you mean about the serger though, I was afraid to touch it for three days before getting started. Read the manual and find the boards. There have to be other individuals who have your model serger. They can provide with hints and tips. Much better then letting it collect dust. Give it a try : )

All the best to you!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What you spent years building, someone can destroy overnight- Keep Building anyway!
noileda

pajamas pants are fun!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008 07:42:15 AM »

I have a serger as well, and I'm learning to love it!  It is a little frustrating to get started with, especially the threading.  But I've started using mine on kids clothes, and I love it for rolled or overlocked hems. 

I got mine as a hand-me-down from my stepmother.  When she gave it to me, she threaded each looper and needle with the thread color matching each dial (on my machine they are red, green, yellow, and blue).  She took white scrap cloth and did some examples of several common stitch settings (overlock, flatlock, rolled).  By using the different colored thread, I could see where each thread ended up in the final stitch.  I have kept that cloth as a guide.  So now, when my settings are wrong, I can look at that white cloth to figure out which looper or needle needs to be adjusted.  That's been really helpful for me, and I would recommend doing something like that as well until you get used to using the serger.

Good luck!     Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008 08:37:36 AM »

That's smart!! I need to do that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MacesMeMe

My Bully the DoofyDoo

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008 05:37:33 PM »

I just got that serger in Feb & it sat in the box til March when I went for my first class (waist of time). It should of came with a video which pretty much explanined a whole lot more than my class. Anyways I got home & serged for about 2 days, just getting used to it. I personally love the fact that it cuts as it goes (only drawback gotta be carfefull  Tongue)

I definitely do alot more sewing now.

A good book to get or borrow from the library like I did is called Serger Secrets, its a big book & has lots of pictures.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my kids reupholstered recliner
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=314248.0
jsuzanne
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008 06:58:52 PM »

Thanks for all your responses Wink

I don't really have any intelligent responses to give myself Undecided  I just really have no idea how to use one, and don't know enough to know what I don't know....if that makes sense?  Cheesy 

I will really have to get a book (as suggested) to learn the basics

thanks again Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
christephi

From a tiny seed grows a giant tree.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008 12:12:09 AM »

and don't know enough to know what I don't know....if that makes sense?

Reminds me of when I started college! I was the first in my family to go and had no idea what I was supposed to do, or even what I was supposed to ask to find out what I was supposed to do! Ha! But it all worked out in the end. I have a feeling once you start learning your serger you're going to fall in love with it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog: Sprouting Flowers

Follow me on Twitter @christephi
norahkate
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008 02:04:39 PM »

this is probably obvious to everyone but me Embarrassed  but just in case...my serger spent 6 months in hibernation after i got it because threading it takes forever and i just couldn't justify doing it every time...until someone told me that all you have to do is cut the thread back by the spool and tie on the new color.  that way you don't have to rethread it every time you change colors!

i still don't know how to do a rolled hem or gather on it, but i have to admit that i haven't tried. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will swap for baby food jars (or other small jars with lids)
juliesnider

So excited to be a month old!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2008 08:54:28 AM »

I'm so glad I found this post.  My husband just got me one for my first Mother's Day!  I will definitely check out the book.  I just feel like I don't even know what I'll use it for/if I'll still use my sewing machine, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When I'm old I don't want them to say of me, 'She's so charming.'  I want them to say, 'Be careful, I think she's armed.'" - G. Stoddart
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Valentines Day Meal for the Whole Family
Big Mac Vs. Big King: Burger Battle - Which Is Better?
Party Sandwich Recipes
The Ultimate Homemade Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
The Meatball Shop’s Classic Meatball Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: TVP Chik'n Nuggets
@Home This Weekend: Colorful Garden Chairs
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Palette Coasters

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...