A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,499
Currently Running With Scissors:
621 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need a pattern for a Pilot Cap  (Read 742 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mamiereilly
« on: April 23, 2008 10:59:52 AM »

My son (20 months) will be getting hearing aids in the next few weeks. I've done some research and found that the Hanna Anderson Pilot caps (http://www.hannaandersson.com/style.asp?from=SC%7C2%7C1%7C156%7C47%7C9%7C%7C&simg=22733_E10) are very popular in keep little ones from yanking their hearing aids out and tossing them. The only problem is that they only come in a very limited number of colors, which are all quite babyish. My son is all "boy" so I'd like to make him a few cute caps to wear out and about that will be more fun. I have tons of fun fabrics ready to go, his head circ is 18 inches, not sure if that helps in any way hehe. Anyone have a good sewing pattern or tute to help me make a few caps? Thanks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008 12:12:26 PM »

wow, you mean Simplicity, Butterick, McCall's & Kwik Sew had absolutely nothing? I'm really surprised by that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sewlittletime

Pink frosting is wunnerful, dahlink!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008 12:26:53 PM »

I could swear I've recently seen a pattern for a child-sized pilot's cap online. I will definitely look around and see if I bookmarked it!

Otherwise...many of the big four pattern companies have pilot caps as part of costume patterns! Maybe you can find something along those lines, and have a little head start on making a Halloween costume??

I'll keep lookin' though! Smiley
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008 12:28:59 PM by Sewlittletime » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sewlittletime

Pink frosting is wunnerful, dahlink!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008 12:51:33 PM »

Well...here's one, but not quite what I had in mind.  Huh

Directions for a medieval coif (very similar to a pilots cap):
http://www.virtue.to/articles/coif.html

I must be losing my mind. Where the heck did I see it? Aack!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mamiereilly
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008 12:57:24 PM »

Well I guess I should have stated I am no expert in sewing. I thought posting a question here I might be lead in the right direction, not made to feel like an donkey. I never said  I had looked online, I just asked if anyone had anything or knew of a pattern. Apparently, that's not allowed?

SEWLITLETIME- Thanks for your kind response. I have done 0 sewing with patterns so I am still very new to them, I did a general search for patterns for pilot caps and came up with nothing, but had not thought of looking at costumes, thank you. I will give that a try. Also the link you provided is a very good example of exactly what I was trying to find. I had no idea they might also be called coifs. THanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008 03:48:25 PM »

I never intended to make you feel bad. I was trying (and obviously failing) to gently show where you could look first without having to wait for further responses.

I generally don't reccomend tutes unless I know the person is an experienced sewer. So many tutes I come across are written by people for whom sewing comes so easily they are often hard to understand from a beginner's perspective, or they are poorly written. Not knowing anything about your level, I left it unanswered.

I like patterns because the whole page is laid out in black and white for you with very standard terms, markings and notations. It is far easier to explain pattern instructions because pattern instructions have basic common elements. I can interpret pattern instructions even if I've never made anything similar for this very reason.

With that apology on my keyboard may I humbly say, welcome to Craftster. You will find snarky comments, flaming, and sarcasm nearly nonexistent here. It is an oasis of civility and genuinely friendly banter on the internet unlike anything else I've found. What I wrote, I realize, on many forums would be interpreted as a snarky sarcastic comment- here it is not. No need to come here armed for battle, it's not necessary. Unless of course you're just showing us your handiwork, that we love, and the ohh's & aahh's will follow, although I'm not sure if chainmail & plate would go in Clothing, or Miscellaneous....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elijor
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008 03:54:40 PM »

Here's a site that sells a pattern for $5.00 or a cap for $10.95. Also Simplicity 3555 has a pilot cap.

Neither of those patterns recommend using a knit fabric but that is what the Hanna Anderson ones are. I'd suggest trying a knit first then maybe playing around with other fabrics. The knit would stretch and form-fit the childs head better which is probably what makes those H-A ones work so well. You might have to adjust the seam allowance to get a good fit.

Come back if you need more help. That's what we are here for.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mamiereilly
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008 08:48:10 PM »

Penlowe- I accept very humbly your apology, which was obviously not even needed as your intent was not at all as I took it. I'm so sorry. I should have just not said anything, I am overly sensitive, we only just found out yesterday that my son will need hearing aids and I guess my sense of humor was not working. Again I am so sorry I bt your head off. I have not really worked with patterns thus far, but I have a few to try. I've only been sewing in my spare time for the last 5 months, and Craftster has been agreat source of information for me! Your are right that there is no drama here, and I am so sorry to have started a bit with you as I should no better. Sorry again!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008 06:40:39 AM »

I understand completely, and all is forgiven Smiley Water under the bridge and all that.  You are at a terribly stressful time learning about a disability in your child. That has so many more issues beyond a silly hat pattern that I should have considered, and for that I should have been much more sensitive.

I took ASL as my language credit in college, I loved it as a language experience and learned a lot about the deaf community and culture. The future is not bleak, whether the severety is strong or mild, whether you opt for cochlear implants or not, he will have friends, education, a good life- a hearing disability is not near the hinderance to 'normal life' that it was 50 years ago Smiley

One nice thing about ASL is: as long as you remember the alphabet, you can communicate. My favorite sign was "turtle".
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Business Logo Design Tutorial in Adobe Illustrator
Undo History in Photoshop Elements
Move Selections in Photoshop Elements
How to See Two Views in Photoshop Elements
Using the Zoom Tool Shortcut in Photoshop Elements
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...