A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,072
Currently Running With Scissors:
664 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: making a pattern bigger - for a dress - help!  (Read 421 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dearbarbie
Lover of all things preloved

View Profile WWW
« on: April 23, 2008 05:16:58 AM »

hello!  Cheesy

When I first got my sewing machine, i thought one bought patterns in their rtw dress size, so I got a lovely size 12 vintage vogue dress pattern. forgot about the sizing as i've made a few things and they had a range of sizes on one pattern, bought some yellow crepe and now need to make this dress to wear to a party this weekend!

doh! i started cutting out last night and it's a size 12 ONLY!! I'm a 16 according to the measurement scale on the packet. argh. i need to make it bigger FAST. i have started by making the two main dress pieces (front and back, cut on fold) 5 cm bigger on each side (10cm total for front, 10cm for back) as this is the difference between my measurements and the size 12 measurements. does that make sense? i basically folded the material, measured 5cm from the fold, then placed the pattern on so the 5cm (10) is at the fold.
i assume I keep the sleeves the same? i dont have big arms or anything...thing is, there's a pussy bow tie thing on one piece whic is also the sleeves...maybe i should get a picture. now, because the main dress pieces are bigger, i'm not sure how to cut the rest/alter sizes?

would you just guess/make them bigger, then tack it before sewing and try it on to alter it?

not a clue here obviously!! sorry if this makes no sense. here's some pics to help describe it. it's the pattern on the left, the flowery dress on the right (short sleeves):

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2127/2436287170_6df4d835ec_o.jpg

Here is the pattern layout. On the left (the one at the top), you can see the main dress pieces that are cut on the fold. I added 5cm to the middle of each piece. On the right you can see the yoke, shoulders and stuff. This is what I have an issue with - how do I add a total chest measurement of 10cm to that?!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3155/2436287172_a37bb080f6_o.jpg

Thanks in advance, really hope someone can shed some light! I'm soo clueless!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Raising money for Macmillan Cancer Research, fashionably at www.prelovedreloved.co.uk
SpottedFrog
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008 06:34:25 AM »

Actually you are thinking along the right lines, for that pattern what you've done should work Smiley Bear in mind I emphasise that pattern because that fix will not automaticly work on all patterns.

Multi sized patternd only started about 1990 (ish, I think the date varies by company), everything previous will be single size. Really old patterns, from the 30's up through the early 60's depending on the company, had pre-cut non printed patterns, much harder to decipher.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tigerbaby1981
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008 08:55:33 AM »

I was just going to post the same sort of question but its for a bustier/corset type of top. Its a mccalls miss size 8. Just bought it used for 15 cents and thought I should be able to ask and find out if I can make it for a 12 (34ish bust)
Any help would be great! thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cinderwench
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008 10:03:56 AM »

This won't help much today, but in the future you need to get a couple of books on fitting. I like Adele P. Margolis' "How to Make Clothes That Fit and Flatter." You can find it in used book stores. Copyright 1969.

Also, I recently bought "The Busy Woman's Fitting Book" by Nancy Zieman with Robbie Fanning. It uses a slightly different system to alter patterns. I found it in a used bookstore, too. I don't think it's quite as complete as the Margolis book.

I would check the arm circumference since it's a Vogue pattern. I've found they're cut for women with arms like toothpicks. Even when I was a petite size 6, I had to spread the sleeves on Vogue patterns. (If you need to make that one bigger, make a vertical slash from the bottom edge up to the large dot on the center of the sleeve and spread.)

Good luck! It's a classic dress that will never be "out of style."
THIS ROCKS   Logged

She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands. Proverbs 31:13 NIV
dearbarbie
Lover of all things preloved

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008 03:26:36 AM »

thanks for your help everyone - should be okay! was just concerned i guess as to how the bits i've not altered will match but guess i should cut all pieces a bit bigger and then just tack it and try it on to check for fitting. plan on wearing with a thin white waist belt to give it more shape. thanks  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Raising money for Macmillan Cancer Research, fashionably at www.prelovedreloved.co.uk
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Fresh DIY Beauty Scrub Recipe from LUSH
Lipstick Does More Than You Think
Easy Nail Art Tutorial
Night Out Eye Makeup Tutorial
How to Wear Metallic Makeup
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Lamp Transformation
Book Review: Handmade for Baby
Tute Tuesday: Warm Those Piggies!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...