A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 305,018
Currently Running With Scissors:
480 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bookmaking - "Buttonhole Stitch" Binding tutorial  (Read 28020 times)
Tags for this thread: book_binding , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

photog_in_plaid
« on: April 23, 2008 10:42:14 AM »

This binding technique is in Keith Smith's book Volume I Non-Adhesive Binding: Books Without Paste or Glue...I'm giving credit where credit is due. This is a book that is completely glueless and you need paper for the pages, a cover (paper, cardboard, etc.), and string for the binding, I use waxed linen. Also a ruler, X-acto knife, bone folder, and large needle (pointy is better for poking the holes) are helpful tools.
This is the finished look of the binding...just so you know what you are getting into.

You start with signatures of your paper, any size you want but they must be folded in half, along with your cover paper cut to size, it should be the same height as your filler paper because of the way the string wraps around the top and bottom. The cover paper should be as long as your pages and the width of the spine, I have made this cover longer so that it folds in and makes the cover stonger, also I added a decorative piece to go around the middle.

You need to measure how thick your signatures will make the spine

and then mark it on the cover paper, I have also scored with a bone folder where I am going to make the folds around the pages.

Next you mark where to cut for the hole, it should be about 1/3 of the spine.

Use an X-acto knife to cut the hole making sure to leave the paper to make flaps (this will make it stronger)

Do the same with your decorative paper.

I have cut the holes larger for more interesting detail.

Fold your cover and place your signatures inside, make sure everything fits and mark where the hole is on the folded edges of the signatures.

Take the signatures out and mark the spots on a scrap piece of paper that is folded and the same height as your book paper, you will use this as a guide to punch needle holes in the folds of the signatures.

Once you have punched all the holes you are ready to start tying the signatures in

you start with a length of waxed linen (I'm sure other string would work but I prefer waxed linen), tie a knot in the end that won't pull through the hole.

Put the needle through the hole from the inside of the signature and through the hole in the cover,

on this first one you will then loop over and go back through the SAME hole

then to tie the knot send the needle through between the string and the book going toward the LEFT.

You have made a loop to the right of your string, send your needle through this loop coming from the RIGHT and going toward the LEFT again, pull tight but not so tight you tear the paper.

Bring your string through the inside of the next signature so that you are pulling the needle through the outside and repeat the knot until you reach the last one. On the last signature tie the knot and go back through the SAME hole to the inside, if you have enough string left you can then go through the other second hole and start binding on the other end or you can tie it off so the string doesn't back through the hole.

You repeat the process on the other end, except that the knot is backward, you put your needle between the binding string and the book going from LEFT to right

Then you send your needle through the loop from LEFT to right and pull tight.

Repeat until you run out of signatures and tie off the end.

If you have done a decorative strip and it is too short like mine

here is how I made sure it would stay in place without any glue

Trace around the corners after you have lined it up in the place you want it

Cut along the diagonals (if the cover is folded, unfold first so you don't cut through both layers...I have almost made this mistake being excited to be finished)
And tuck the corners in.

And there it is, finished! You can do lots of different covers, even hard backed covers, put in pockets, use different papers, anything you want.
If anything is confusing, let me know and I will try to clear it up!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008 04:29:40 PM by photog_in_plaid » THIS ROCKS   Logged
astormorray
I love looms.

just spin the yarn.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008 10:55:22 AM »

Thanks for putting this together!  Awesome.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ren
Ren

controls bunnies writing literary works of genious

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008 10:55:41 AM »

Amazing, thank you again for the tutorial! I'll be using this style for my Anorexia project. I'll be covering the book in Russian Nesting Doll material, ad the cut-out fits so perfectly for it!

Thank you for the detailed walk through as I was attempting another tutorial a while back and it was never as helpful as you've been.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

acidtrix
hell yeah

To the Bat Tank!

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008 11:42:37 AM »

great tutorial, thank you Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check me out at www.acidtrix.com
Babyangel
Photographer, mommy, late night crafter

I made the BEST OF 2007 with my love letter box!

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008 12:03:44 PM »

Very detailed! Thank you so much I will actually try this tonight ... its explained enough for me to try my very first binding! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

reese52
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008 12:27:48 PM »

I like this style of binding and will have to give it a try.  Thanks for taking the time and putting the tutorial together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ms Marple

Granny from birth!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008 12:49:22 PM »

Thanks so much for putting this together, it's a great tutorial (and a great looking journal too!!)  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beccacc
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008 02:13:01 PM »

wow
AWESOME thanks for posting that i cant wait to try it i love making my own books so much. its so awesome!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out paperstache.etsy.com for papercrafts, cards, illustrations, prints, custom orders, etc!
EMNemastil
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008 06:37:11 PM »

How cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
robynsteiner
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I heart SLB...He's dreamy!

Fo Shizzle, yo...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008 09:03:07 PM »

Holy Crap! That's a fantastic tutorial! Now I know what my Thursday project will be!! Thank You!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

L: "Don't leave your dirty package on the table."
C: "If I had a nickel for every time I've heard that..."

I WIST I had all these super cool things!

See you in the clouds, sweet little Jackson.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...