A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 309,093
Currently Running With Scissors:
599 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: making a pattern bigger - for a dress - help!  (Read 426 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dearbarbie
Lover of all things preloved

View Profile WWW
« on: April 23, 2008 05:16:58 AM »

hello!  Cheesy

When I first got my sewing machine, i thought one bought patterns in their rtw dress size, so I got a lovely size 12 vintage vogue dress pattern. forgot about the sizing as i've made a few things and they had a range of sizes on one pattern, bought some yellow crepe and now need to make this dress to wear to a party this weekend!

doh! i started cutting out last night and it's a size 12 ONLY!! I'm a 16 according to the measurement scale on the packet. argh. i need to make it bigger FAST. i have started by making the two main dress pieces (front and back, cut on fold) 5 cm bigger on each side (10cm total for front, 10cm for back) as this is the difference between my measurements and the size 12 measurements. does that make sense? i basically folded the material, measured 5cm from the fold, then placed the pattern on so the 5cm (10) is at the fold.
i assume I keep the sleeves the same? i dont have big arms or anything...thing is, there's a pussy bow tie thing on one piece whic is also the sleeves...maybe i should get a picture. now, because the main dress pieces are bigger, i'm not sure how to cut the rest/alter sizes?

would you just guess/make them bigger, then tack it before sewing and try it on to alter it?

not a clue here obviously!! sorry if this makes no sense. here's some pics to help describe it. it's the pattern on the left, the flowery dress on the right (short sleeves):

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2127/2436287170_6df4d835ec_o.jpg

Here is the pattern layout. On the left (the one at the top), you can see the main dress pieces that are cut on the fold. I added 5cm to the middle of each piece. On the right you can see the yoke, shoulders and stuff. This is what I have an issue with - how do I add a total chest measurement of 10cm to that?!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3155/2436287172_a37bb080f6_o.jpg

Thanks in advance, really hope someone can shed some light! I'm soo clueless!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Raising money for Macmillan Cancer Research, fashionably at www.prelovedreloved.co.uk
SpottedFrog
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008 06:34:25 AM »

Actually you are thinking along the right lines, for that pattern what you've done should work Smiley Bear in mind I emphasise that pattern because that fix will not automaticly work on all patterns.

Multi sized patternd only started about 1990 (ish, I think the date varies by company), everything previous will be single size. Really old patterns, from the 30's up through the early 60's depending on the company, had pre-cut non printed patterns, much harder to decipher.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tigerbaby1981
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008 08:55:33 AM »

I was just going to post the same sort of question but its for a bustier/corset type of top. Its a mccalls miss size 8. Just bought it used for 15 cents and thought I should be able to ask and find out if I can make it for a 12 (34ish bust)
Any help would be great! thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cinderwench
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008 10:03:56 AM »

This won't help much today, but in the future you need to get a couple of books on fitting. I like Adele P. Margolis' "How to Make Clothes That Fit and Flatter." You can find it in used book stores. Copyright 1969.

Also, I recently bought "The Busy Woman's Fitting Book" by Nancy Zieman with Robbie Fanning. It uses a slightly different system to alter patterns. I found it in a used bookstore, too. I don't think it's quite as complete as the Margolis book.

I would check the arm circumference since it's a Vogue pattern. I've found they're cut for women with arms like toothpicks. Even when I was a petite size 6, I had to spread the sleeves on Vogue patterns. (If you need to make that one bigger, make a vertical slash from the bottom edge up to the large dot on the center of the sleeve and spread.)

Good luck! It's a classic dress that will never be "out of style."
THIS ROCKS   Logged

She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands. Proverbs 31:13 NIV
dearbarbie
Lover of all things preloved

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008 03:26:36 AM »

thanks for your help everyone - should be okay! was just concerned i guess as to how the bits i've not altered will match but guess i should cut all pieces a bit bigger and then just tack it and try it on to check for fitting. plan on wearing with a thin white waist belt to give it more shape. thanks  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Raising money for Macmillan Cancer Research, fashionably at www.prelovedreloved.co.uk
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Top 5 Travel Beauty Hacks From Miss America
OMG with RJS Teaches You How to Pick a Fragrance
Brow Makeover With Kelley Baker: Get The J Lo Arch
Top Makeup Tips For The Mother Of The Bride
How To Get Fuller Looking Lips
Latest Blog Articles
Quoth The Raven
Meatless Monday: Marinara Sauce
April 17, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...