A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 304,861
Currently Running With Scissors:
664 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A few questions about embroidering on baby jumpsuits!  (Read 522 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Paulie_86
« on: April 23, 2008 02:26:42 AM »

Hi, I'm new to embroidery and have a few questions about embroidering on baby jump/body suits (I think they're called onesies in the US). I did a search but came up with nothing.

First, should I wash them before or after embroidering on them?
Second, Do I need stretch the fabric more than usual or just let it stretch normally as I put it in the embroidery hoop?
And Third, do I need to use a stabilizer and if so, which is best? 

Thanks for your help!

Paula
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Florentine  -  A sewing, knitting, crafting and cooking blog.
bookwormbethie
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008 05:46:28 AM »

Hi!  Always launder your fabric (onesies in this case) before embroidering on them.  I usually wash in warm water and dry on low heat.  It is necessary to "preshrink" the fabric (even if the label already says it is) to prevent your stitches from becoming distorted.  If you don't preshrink the fabric and go ahead and embroider on it, when you do get around to laundering the fabric, it will shrink and your stitches won't look nearly as pretty anymore! 

Don't stretch the fabric!  This will distort the stitches when your project is finished.   

And yes, you always need stabalizer when working with t-shirt type material fabric.  www.sublimestitching.com sells stabalizer.  I haven't ever used stabilizer before so I'm sorry that I can't recommend a specific brand.  I've read posts before (in the sublime stitching category in the needlework forum) of people just using regular tissue paper as stabilizer.  But like you, I don't know a lot about stabilizer, there are all kinds, tear away, iron on, etc...  I'm sure someone will post here soon!

Best of luck!
Bethie

Hi, I'm new to embroidery and have a few questions about embroidering on baby jump/body suits (I think they're called onesies in the US). I did a search but came up with nothing.

First, should I wash them before or after embroidering on them?
Second, Do I need stretch the fabric more than usual or just let it stretch normally as I put it in the embroidery hoop?
And Third, do I need to use a stabilizer and if so, which is best? 

Thanks for your help!

Paula
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008 01:20:21 PM by bethiebb » THIS ROCKS   Logged

sixblueirises
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008 09:22:12 PM »

Please, I beg of you, if you value your sanity, use stabilizer!  Grin It's hard enough with the stuff. I'm thinking iron on, tear away stabilizer would work the absolute best, but I haven't actually tried any yet. I'm currently making do with the tear away and using the smallest hoop I can to hold things still.

Definitely wash the jumpsuits first. Shrinking can do weird things to finished embroidery.

Ideally, you'd want the fabric in the hoop to be just slightly more stretched than it's natural state, IMHO. That will lead to the smoothest embroidery in the end. I've been pinning the fabric to the stabilizer, trying not to stretch it while I'm doing the pinning. I then put it in the hoop and tighten the screw.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love instant gratification almost as much as I love parentheses!
BrookOwens
crafts made with love and lots of cussing...

I never knew why kid! I NEVER KNEW!!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008 12:34:02 AM »

ok... you HAVE to use stabilizer on a onesie or you will want to rip the thing in half.... (maybe you don't have the same temper i do but it will be established if you try without stabilizer) Im sure there are plenty of people who don't use a darn thing but i really suggest you use stabilizer. Sulky makes one called "totally stable" and you actually Iron it on so the fabric doesn't move at all. then after you just tear it away. Its not very expensive either and it comes with a whole lot. I don't suggest the sticky stabilizer that is pretty much a sticker. I've heard horrible things about it getting all ewwie and guewie..... I love embroidering onesies. so cute and fast...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://brookowens.etsy.com

http://brookowens.blogspot.com/

http://twitter.com/brookowens

If you live in So. California (LA,OC,SD) message me... I want to put a little craft group together!!!
bookwormbethie
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008 05:49:25 AM »

Thanks for the tip!  It's always great to hear what works and what doesn't work.  I'd be so sad if my fabric got all icky, plus I'd worry about the sticker pulling a bit to hard on my stitches when it was time to remove the stabilizer. 

ok... you HAVE to use stabilizer on a onesie or you will want to rip the thing in half.... (maybe you don't have the same temper i do but it will be established if you try without stabilizer) Im sure there are plenty of people who don't use a darn thing but i really suggest you use stabilizer. Sulky makes one called "totally stable" and you actually Iron it on so the fabric doesn't move at all. then after you just tear it away. Its not very expensive either and it comes with a whole lot. I don't suggest the sticky stabilizer that is pretty much a sticker. I've heard horrible things about it getting all ewwie and guewie..... I love embroidering onesies. so cute and fast...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Paulie_86
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008 09:52:36 AM »

Thanks for all your help! You've been great Cheesy I will post my items once I have finished them for everyone to see!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Florentine  -  A sewing, knitting, crafting and cooking blog.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Fold an Origami Crane Part 2
How to Fold Your own MacBook Air Origami
How to Build a Helicopter from Paper
How to Make an Origami Barking Dog
How to Make Monster Sounds with the Click of a Button
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...