A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,050
Currently Running With Scissors:
876 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making all-around ruffled edges?  (Read 484 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

elkaro
« on: June 12, 2008 08:15:37 AM »

What are your suggestions for adding ruffled edges to all four sides of a square or a rectangle?

Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008 11:18:26 AM »

Pick up sts all the way around, then next round, kfb or M1 between every st, depending on how you do incs, do one round plain, then another increase round. Go as long as you want.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
elkaro
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008 06:48:22 AM »

Right, that would be splendid for a smaller project... How about something like a blanket/throw or a very large shawl?  No needles would be long enough to accommodate this...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008 08:57:22 AM »

You can scrunch a lot of stitches on a circular.... But it depends - there's a lot of difference between a baby blanket and a full bed size one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
KnittinHoney
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008 12:13:35 PM »

Right, that would be splendid for a smaller project... How about something like a blanket/throw or a very large shawl?  No needles would be long enough to accommodate this...

If you had some of the interchangeable needle sets, like the Boye, you could . . . just keep adding needle cables until you get the length you need!  That might get pretty heavy.  If that was the case, you could just add a ruffle per side and then sew them together - or not!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008 07:25:06 PM »

There's a thought, pick up sts on each edge separately, make the ruffle and seam the ruffle edges together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
CraftyCoug

Croquet at Molbaks

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008 10:38:58 AM »

It might also be possible to do a short row ruffle and sew it on...

cast on say 10 stitches
*k8, turn
k8, turn (end of row)
k6, turn
k6, turn (end of row)
k8, turn
k8, turn (end of row)
k10
k 10 (end of row)*
repeat between *...* until you've got a long enough ruffle.  For the corners you would probably need to do a few extra repeats in one place to make it work.

Something like that anyway... that way you could sew it onto the edge later or you could pick up one from the edge of the blanket at the non-ruffle edge each time you get there.  You'd probably just need to play w/ the idea to get the look you're after.  Fortunately w/ only needing a few stitches, some swatches won't be  as big of a deal as picking up all of them at once. 

I've never attempted this so I'm not exactly sure how it would work, but I know it will create too many stitches on one side which makes a ruffle.  And you wouldn't have to deal with picking up 4,000,000 stitches along the edge of a blanket. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm down w/ a personal swap now and then!  PM me!

www.craftycougknits .blogspot.com
elkaro
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008 08:36:39 AM »

CraftyCoug: Hmm, interesting suggestion, I might test it out, though I suspect the short rows might be somewhat cumbersome for a large project. Thanks very much for taking the time to weigh in!   

I'm a big fan of not complicating things unless absolutely necessary when knitting.  For me, it takes the joy out of knitting, you know what I mean? Smiley

The most intuitive way of doing ruffles on all four edges, in my opinion, results in a continuous ruffle "fabric" where the 4 corners have 90 degree ruffle "junctions" due to the directions of knitting. Basically, you begin and end your project with ruffles and the cast on to make 2 more ruffles on the 2 remaining sides. There is no need for any seaming.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get to Know Author Thomas Leveritt
Joseph Maroon on the Importance of Longevity Genes
You and Your Money with Alvin Hall
Dan Gordon Discusses His Book Postcards from Heaven
Michael Hastings on His Book I Lost My Love in Baghdad
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...