A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
650 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tips for keeping yarn from unraveling when casting on  (Read 975 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

elkaro
« on: June 12, 2008 08:12:37 AM »

Does anyone have tips for keeping plied yarn from "unraveling/untwisting" when working with a very long tail to cast on several hundred stitches on circular needles?

Thanks! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ThreeFish
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008 04:43:11 AM »

In my experience, if you just completely let go of the yarn every few casted on stitches and let it return to its natural state, it turns out fine. I let go about every 10 stitches and it helps me not lose count, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elkaro
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008 06:55:50 AM »

I've come to the same solution Smiley The only trouble is that by the time I realize the yarn is beginning to unravel, I've already cast on at least a few stitches, and the tail is much too long to easily return to its natural state.  So maybe I just need to remember to let go of the yarn every few stitches from the very beginning.

This is really only a problem when casting on a very large number of stitches.  I was wondering if there were any tricks to it, like maybe winding the tail into a small loose ball and unwinding a bit at a time.  This would probably be really time consuming...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008 08:56:19 AM »

You just have to retwist it every few inches; some yarns are like this. It also won't show all that much once you're done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
ThreadOrYarn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008 11:50:21 AM »

Does anyone have tips for keeping plied yarn from "unraveling/untwisting" when working with a very long tail to cast on several hundred stitches on circular needles?

Thanks! Smiley

Which cast-on are you using? The 'long tail cast on' where you wrap the yarn around your thumb and forefinger?  if you wrap the yarn the opposite direction on your thumb (there's an article in SpinOff magazine a few issues back) it won't untwist.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KnittinHoney
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008 02:32:28 PM »

If I have a project with a huge amoung of stitches to be cast on, so that I might have a difficult time accurately estimating the amount of yarn I'll need, I'll do a cable or knitted cast on.  No twisting, either.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elkaro
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008 07:58:16 AM »

KnittinHoney: great advice! i'll try the knitted cast on next time. i use the long tail cast on exclusively, but the knitted cast on technique sounds like it should do the trick, since there's only one strand of yarn involved, that coming from the skein.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Makeover Lover and Minimalist Swap Beauty Routines
A 61-Year-Old Grandmother Wears Makeup for the First Time
“Law and Order’s” Stephanie March Helps Everyone Look Red Carpet Glam
How to Choose the Right Color to Contour Your Makeup
Classic and Glam Eyeliner Tutorial Backstage at Dennis Basso NYFW 2014
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...