A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,566
Currently Running With Scissors:
465 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Real Flowers vs Fake Flowers  (Read 3340 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2008 06:41:17 AM »

Thank ya, della!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
Raine_Dementia
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2008 08:40:03 AM »

I'm doing paper flowers, and their actually turning out quite well..

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=231885.0

I have tons of pics, and will probably have a tutorial on how to paint them up soon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you want rainbows, you must learn to live with the rain.
littledayna
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2008 09:40:42 AM »

Oh, and CONGRATULATIONS, SWEETS!  Grin  Grin  Grin

Thank you!!!!

I never thought I would say "Unfortunately I'm on the west coast".... Haha, but I am!  I'm in Los Angeles, so I know there's tons of places that will have what I need, and tons of places that will have what I don't need... so it's going to take me a while to filter through every place and see what I can find. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying." - Oscar Wilde
*MAR*
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2008 09:43:21 AM »

My former boss was a florist, so we used her account to get the flowers for our bouquets, bouts', corsages and bits for tables. I wanted cherry blossom branches for the larger arrangements but we got married in July, so all of these were silk from JoAnn's or Michaels using their 50% off coupons and arranged in dollar store French flower buckets spray painted green with metal paint.

So, we did about 1/3 silk and 2/3 real. It is nice because I had all those lovely fresh flowers to give away and take home, but yet I have these huge gorgeous containers of the cherry blossoms all around my house still!

Here's the cherry blossom arrangements:

Our lovely bouquet flowers:

Our table arrangements, all in recycled glittered cans or Ball jars:
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sunnydays914
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2008 09:54:11 AM »

I'm getting married in 3 weeks and the first time I received a quote from a florist, I almost passed out. $1k in flowers seems to be a little excessive but I really wanted real flowers for the bouquets and such so we came to a compromise.

I found a well priced florist who came recommended to me by a friend. She is making all the bouquets, boutonnieres, and corsages for the wedding party, family etc. We bought silk, pale yellow gerbera daisies from Hobby Lobby on a 50% off sale week to use for decorations.
These "pews in bloom" buckets are going to be hung from the ends of the pews in the church. They cost about $2 per arrangement.

Instead of paying for overpriced (IMHO) decorations for the church, I bought silk ivy topiaries at Michael's during one of their 50% off sales and doctored them up until they looked full and lush. They cost me $60 for 2 instead of the quoted $75 for 1!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Raine_Dementia
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2008 11:03:53 AM »

Our table arrangements, all in recycled glittered cans or Ball jars:
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa286/Circa1972/Candids2.jpg[/img]

What kind of flower is that big pink one? It's familiar but I can't place it..
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008 11:04:26 AM by sweets4ever - Reason: Please don't quote images :) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you want rainbows, you must learn to live with the rain.
*MAR*
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2008 01:22:42 PM »

It's a two-toned dahlia. I wasn't even thinking of them, but I just went with what was purty the day we went to the market.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fididdly
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2008 03:23:27 PM »

Fake flowers are incredibly natural-looking these days.  If you have a garden-happy friend, maybe s/he can tuck living greens and accent flowers into your arrangements the morning of the wedding.  It'll look like you tapped into your trust fund for a florist  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Women are the one group that grows more radical with age." --Gloria Steinem
guineverefree

I love happy endings, they are so rare. - Aro

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2008 08:45:21 AM »

We ordered bulk roses from sam's club. I was a little wary but they were wonderful roses. We had to buy greenery and babies breath but it turned out to be the best route for us. The best part of the three stressful days before my wedding was coming home to the smell of 200 roses in my kitchen. We had so many flowers for centerpieces, for the church, etc. If you do bulk on your own, I would suggest Sam's club. Out of two hundred roses we had to throw out maybe 3 or 4.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littledayna
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2008 11:31:47 AM »

We ordered bulk roses from sam's club. I was a little wary but they were wonderful roses. We had to buy greenery and babies breath but it turned out to be the best route for us. The best part of the three stressful days before my wedding was coming home to the smell of 200 roses in my kitchen. We had so many flowers for centerpieces, for the church, etc. If you do bulk on your own, I would suggest Sam's club. Out of two hundred roses we had to throw out maybe 3 or 4.

Thanks!  We do have those out here, so I'll keep that in mind too. 

As much as I would love to have real flowers, price aside, I would be horrified that something would go wrong with them and I wouldn't know until the last minute. You know?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying." - Oscar Wilde
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Crave-Worthy Cake in a Mere Matter of Minutes
Will Veggie Desserts Be the Cronut of 2014?
Make It Easy: Snow Day Recipes Kids Can Make
How to Make Chocolate Orange Cookies
Vanilla Marshmallows Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...