A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 299,122
Currently Running With Scissors:
672 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sublimation mugs!  (Read 3071 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

DogGrrl
« on: April 22, 2008 06:36:29 AM »

So I finally broke down and bought a heat press  Roll Eyes.  I bought a combo press so not only could I do heat transfers I could also do sublimation.  Sublimation, as I understand it anyway, is a process that when used with sublimation inks and a specially coated blank, when heated the ink turns into a gas and penetrates the surface of the blank.  The result is that the image is in the blank, not just resting on top (like a waterslide decal).  My sister asked me to make her some mugs with some pictures and artwork she had so I scanned them in and heat pressed them.  All of these mugs have been through the dishwasher without any loss of the images!

On with the pictures!

This is a note that my niece made when she was really mad at my brother in law and left it for him to find on his pillow!  It cracked me up!

This is a picture my other niece drew:

This is a picture of my niece with a box on her head:

And this one is from a picture my sister took of a sign (I know it looks like it was bought in a souvenir shop but I swear it wasn't!  Cheesy):

Thanks for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
julieboolie

turtle, turtle!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008 06:45:18 AM »

hahahaha i love the first one. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield"

Wists | Pinterest | Ravelry
KarenLouiseM
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Put me in coach, I'm ready to play

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008 06:51:15 AM »

Those are AMAZING!  Very professional looking - but so much better.  Cute and funny and personal - best dishes ever.  If I were Napolean Dynamite, I would tell your sister "Lucky!"

I'm trying to imagine how you got thos pics on round things like that.  It's very impressive!

Would one of those machines also laminate?  I've been looking for one of those square press type laminators and I know they do the heat press t-shirt thing as well - but I don't really need t-shirts and can't justify the expense.  BUT, if you could do that stuff as well it would certainly be more tempting!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008 06:51:43 AM by KarenLouiseM » THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not that I don't want to swap, it's that I often don't have time.  But feel free to ask (especially if it's one that's not too time consuming).
angeltreats
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008 06:54:41 AM »

I had to read the first one three times before I realised that it was actually NOT in French!

That's so funny, it made me giggle Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

off_the_record
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008 06:59:55 AM »

The first one cracks me up! Your niece will probably crack up too, in about 10 years Wink My summers home from college, I worked in a small gift shop and had to make mugs using that exact sublimation process. The images were usually of the small town's historical landmarks, or they were personalized for little league teams...I like your mugs better Cheesy
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008 07:03:35 AM by off_the_record » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I reject the basic assumptions of civilization, especially the importance of material possessions." -Chuck Palahniuk

http://offthrecord.blogspot.com/
www.offtherecord.etsy.com
DogGrrl
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008 07:02:26 AM »

I'm trying to imagine how you got thos pics on round things like that.  It's very impressive!

Would one of those machines also laminate?  I've been looking for one of those square press type laminators and I know they do the heat press t-shirt thing as well - but I don't really need t-shirts and can't justify the expense.  BUT, if you could do that stuff as well it would certainly be more tempting!

I really struggled over this purchase but I own a little doggie daycare and justified the expense by knowing I could make tons of stuff for my clients (and write it off!) plus the crafty girl inside me really, really wanted one for a looooong time  Roll Eyes!  In addition, I have a soft spot for anything that plugs in and lights up!

I bought this one:
http://www.heatpress.com/product.php?cat=multipurpose&pn=16

so all you have to do is change out the heating platens and you can do tiles, plates, mugs, etc.  I'm sure there is a way to laminate using one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MEshelltakeone
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008 07:12:03 AM »

awesome!!

i have a "card" my niece made for me a few years ago, and it states " I love Michelle Sweet as a kitty" i would LOVE that on a mug ( it has a stick pic of a cat too)  Cheesy

love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RachelKristin
rude crude & tattooed

Vulgarity is my specialty

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008 08:14:37 AM »

aww i think those are really cute, especially the one with the note & picture, how funny!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Tumblr page
http://rachelkristin.tumblr.com/

Check out my Etsy store to purchase some of my work!
http://rachelmckay.etsy.com

Do you Twitter? Follow me!
http://twitter.com/JigsawYouth

My Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rachelmckay/
TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008 09:10:40 AM »

That first one is hysterical!  It totally reminds me of something you'd find on foundmagazine.com.  [Sigh] good times.  I bet your clients are going to EAT THAT UP, especially at holiday times.  Hit 'em up for Mother's Day... dog moms need pics of their dogs on stuff, for sure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Monkey_see_monkey_do
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008 09:23:53 AM »

I love that note. My niece wrote a note for my MIL that said something like: "Grandma, I'm going outside. you said not to go outside unless I told you first but you are sleeping so I am telling you with a note so I don't wake you up. I am eating pop tarts. wake up when you get this note." (With kid spelling and punctuation, of course.) I know she'd love that on a mug. I might have to see if I can find the note somewhere and try that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for people to help me fold cranes, please PM me!
And if I'm flying solo, at least I'm flying free...
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Best Boots for Under $100
10 Things You Might Not Know About Isabel Marant
Style Sound-Off: Ciara, Kim Kardashian, Jennifer Hudson
How to Wear Over-the-Knee Boots
Vintage Bowles - Nina Ricci at Chantal Dagommer Paris Shop
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...