A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,070
Currently Running With Scissors:
620 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: essential oils  (Read 1986 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

melman

i'm a crafty aggie

View Profile WWW
« on: February 06, 2004 08:42:31 AM »

Anyone have any essential oil advice? I have a few bottles but I'm not impressed.  (lavendar, tea tree, peppermint & eucalyptus) The smell is so overpowering that it's just not appealing.  Someone told me that most essential oils don't smell very good.  I thought maybe the quality was poor but I bought them at a health food store and they weren't cheap.  It's hard to judge how much to put in the mix, whether it's soap or salts.  I have some salts that I can't use because I put too much and my soaps don't smell at all because I didn't put enough.

I'm just curious if anyone has a particular brand or source to recommend and which ones might be more pleasing to smell.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

------------------------------------------------------
there are three kinds of aggies
those of us who can count and
those of us who cannot

http://claybar.org | http://texasreddirtphotos.com | http://oldorangecafe.com
melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2004 09:07:49 AM »

The thing with essential oils is that they're extremely strong, so you have to be careful with how much you use.  Sometimes the scent is so strong that it's unrecognizable - think of it like food coloring, in the bottle the yellow looks red and the other colors look black.  
Anyway, try looking up a soap making book at your local library, they should have advice on how much essential oil you need for how much soap.  
You also want to put them in at the last minute, just before you pour the soap out.

An alternative is perfume oils.  They are less strong (generally essential oils diluted in some other oil).  They might be a better bet for bath salts, but if you're making soap, you *definitely* have to put them in at the end so that they don't change.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shes so unusual
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2004 09:25:47 AM »

essential oils can be tricky, and stinky when mixed with another oil that doesnt blend
i like this list of oils and their properties. it will also tell you what oils blend well together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tinydoom

*one of the ladies*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2004 06:38:04 PM »

Since essentail oils can be so costly, I mix them with a carrier such as almond oil (it has no smell and you can get it at the grocery store).  It's really good for your skin and makes nice massage oil.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amareluna
Head Nerd at Nyxia's Lair

~It is we who make our destiny, not the stars~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2004 06:56:31 PM »

I've found that essential oils are the way to go for my bath salts- they blend better and don't cause as much clumping as fragrance oils.

I only use 2-3 drops per 'batch' of salts though, then shake them every day for a week.

I've had a lot of luck with my oils, which I buy from Camden Grey- http://www.camdengrey.com but most of my 'popular' scents are fragrance oils (china rain, sex on the beach, etc)

I also use Sweet Almond Oil to 'dilute' my EOs in, and the combo of Sweet Almond Oil, EO and Aloe or Witchazel makes a kick butt bath oil.

HTH
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ChristlMC
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2004 07:48:40 PM »

http://www.members.shaw.ca/tickled/html/blends.html is a good place for blending ideas or 'recipes'

www.fpi-america.com is where I get a lot of my oils, you have to buy in larger sizes but once you get hooked on essential oils, you can work your way through a liter pretty fast!

a few drops can go a very long way in scenting: household cleaning products, bath products, linen sprays, deodorizers, a few drops in the dryer with your laundry, etc.

have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mercredi

Oh no, now I feel really bad, bad llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2004 11:11:24 AM »

just a caution for using directly essential oils in water :
i've read many times that if you want to use your essential oils in your bath (in bath salts for exemple, or directly in your bath), you should use vegetal oil (oilve oil, almond oil, whatever) to pour the essential oils on it, otherwise the EO won't diluate in the water, and therefore are "bad" for your skin (because too concentrated)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
christiangrl32
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2004 02:04:12 PM »

Thanks for tip. I've been researching on all of this stuff lately.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tracey
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2004 10:34:29 PM »

I've taken introductory courses in Aromatherapy (I'm a massage therapist)  And (as long as it's in moderation) There is no problem with putting the oils right in the bath. This of course is depending on your skin sensitivity, I have very sensitive skin, and they don't bug me at all!  I've even used EO (100%  pure that is) Directly on my skin! But it is very important to know your EOs and their effects first!  I've used peppermint and Lavender on my skin for medicinal purposes.  Lavender takes the sting out of burns and cuts and Greatly reduces scarring. As soon as I hurt myself I apply it directly to my skin, and I have never had any problems. 
  One oil you have to be careful of using in a bath however is Peppermint.  Peppermint has a very cooling effect on the skin, and if too much is added, the bath can feel "quite cool" Even if you have just hot water in the tub, so use caution as not to burn your self!

Tracey
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love your ememies..... It will drive them nuts!
Miss Bloom
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010 04:36:57 PM »

I know this is an old topic but I just wanted to add to it.

The reason essential oils can smell horrible out of the bottle is that you are smelling them extremely magnified and concentrated. In a lot of cases you won't get a recognisable fragrance until the oil is diluted down dramatically. Try adding three drops of EO to 97 drops of carrier oil for a 3% dilution and this should give a truer picture of how the real plant smells.
Of course this percentage can be increased for things like soaping or there wouldn't be much fragrance at all. I'm just saying that EOs straight from the bottle don't often smell as they should, they need to be diluted then they will smell more true. Think of EO as a plant concentrate. You probably wouldn't drink cordial without watering it down either.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Nikon CLS, Wireless Flash System
The Importance of Test Shoots
How to Shoot an Inexperienced Model
Nikon D3x - Unboxing
How to Create an Executive Portrait
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Lamp Transformation
Book Review: Handmade for Baby
Tute Tuesday: Warm Those Piggies!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...