A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,716
Currently Running With Scissors:
665 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Visiting Madison-need cool places to go to  (Read 1883 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gaffagirl1

Summer's kiss is over, baby

View Profile
« on: April 21, 2008 06:58:57 PM »

Hi All,

This upcoming weekend my boyfriend and I are visiting Madison. We live in Ladysmith, and we just moved here from Cincinnati a few months ago and are seriously bored.

Saturday we are going to the art museum, but after that we don't really know where to go or what to do. We would really like to eat Thai or Indian food, visit a good record store, and maybe check out an indie film.

AND I need to find a good fabric store!!!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Ladysmith is severely dull and we've been here for months...

Amy
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008 07:12:02 PM by gaffagirl1 - Reason: forgot about why I posted this on craftster.... » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Curse softly to me, baby, and smother me in your love. Temptation comes not from hell but from above.
rebeccajane
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008 01:25:12 PM »

Ladysmith, that's rough. I grew up in a small WI town, so I feel ya'.

I just recently moved back to Madison after a 6 year absence, so I may be missing some stuff, but here's what I can suggest:

The Madison farmer's market just started back up and is not to be missed. It's right on the capitol square (and is probably within walking distance of whatever museum you are going to). It's on Saturday and earlier is better to avoid crowds. You'll be able to cobble together an amazing breakfast or lunch from the stands (although I like to cross the street and get crazygood pastries from Caf Soleil, which is on Pickney right across from the capitol). The capitol building itself is pretty cool to walk around in.

My old favorite Thai place has closed and I haven't found a new one that I really like, but I have been very pleased with Maharani on W. Washington for Indian.

I know of two independent fabric stores: Stitcher's Crossing on Mineral point, which is mostly quilting fabric but carries designer prints (like Amy Butler), and Gayfeathers on Williamson, which is an eclectic little shop full of apparel fabric, designer cotton, japaneese imports, and home decor fabric. The Jo-Anne on the westside on Odanna Rd is pretty new and pretty well-stocked, but still pretty much what you'd expect a Jo-Anne to be.

"thedailypage.com" is a good resource to check out for restaurant listings and going-ons in Madison.

Have a great time this weekend!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gaffagirl1

Summer's kiss is over, baby

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008 05:14:50 AM »

Thank you so much!

I found the Gayfeather store online but thanks for the infor on the other store.

Amy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Curse softly to me, baby, and smother me in your love. Temptation comes not from hell but from above.
MidwestDiva
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008 05:30:25 AM »

I second the Farmers Market!

PLus if you want to see the eclectic part of Madison just walk down State Street. It has tons of resturants and sidewalk cafes.  It has a record store.  It is fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fraugee728

I have crafting ADHD. Seriously.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008 11:24:52 AM »

So, this is probably a bit late for your visit (say...5 months or so Wink) but, I just had to mention these places for an awesome breakfast or lunch:

Marigold Kitchen - so good, and not necessarily the basic stuff you'd expect to be in your breakfast.  However, not so out there that it's like "hmm...I don't know..."  On Pickney St. right off of the capital.  Closed on Sunday, though, so check it out on a Saturday!

Lazy Jane's Cafe - Put in your order and they'll yell your name when it's ready.  Make sure to give them a name that isn't really your name, but is fun to hear (we used Yolanda last time we went)  They have lots of good stuff, and the breakfast makes me think of Marigold Kitchen, yet different.  Make sure you get a scone if you go here...they are AMAZING!  Also, if you're into gourmet foods or fun kitchen implements, check out the store that's next door (the name is escaping me at the moment)

As for Indian or Thai food...I enjoy Sa-Bai Thong on Odana Rd. and believe they have an east side location as well, if that's more convenient for you.  I also like Maharaja (also on Odana Rd.) and Swagat Indian (Old Sauk Rd. and High Point Rd.) and have also been to Taj Indian (Park St.) which wasn't bad - just don't get over to this side of town very often, so don't go regularly.

Other good things to check out in Madison:

The Memorial Union Terrace.  At the end of Park street (it hits the lake) it's a great place to relax with a pitcher of beer (or hard cider if you're me)  while staring at the lake and feeling the breeze.  Evenings there is often music (always free).  Or, for a park with the same sort of feel, try James Madison Park, on Gorham St.

If you're into knitting, crocheting, or weaving, make sure not to miss Lakeside Fibers.  I would say it's in my top 2 for best of the Madison area.  On Lakeside St., off of John Nolen Dr.  They also have a website, I believe it's www.lakesidefibers.com

As for fabric stores, Stitcher's Crossing and Gayfeather (as were afore mentioned) are also the only ones I know of when it comes to independent or speciality fabric stores.  As I have a limited budget, I usually end up going to the chain fabric stores and seeing what I can find that's cool on clearance.  If you're not in an area with a lot of fabric stores, they're worth checking out.  I go to the Joann Fabrics Superstore on Odana Rd., and to the Hancock Fabrics on Odana Rd. and Whitney Way (in Westgate Mall)

So, as I said, I know this is late...but there's a bit more input on what you should do in Madison!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Step one:  Collect Underpants
Step two:  ? ? ?
Step three:  Profit!

http://sometimessewist.wordpress.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ombré Noodles: Add 50 Shades of Pink to Your Meal
Thai Skirt Steak With Carrot Salad
Asian-Style Pork Chops Recipe
Bamboo Shoots Sukiyaki
Collard Greens Salad Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...