A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,108
Currently Running With Scissors:
690 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Secret: Embroidery with METALLIC thread, wanna know?  (Read 5217 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BeatnikChick
« on: April 21, 2008 04:29:52 PM »

I've been avoiding using metallic threads because of all the complaints that others have been posting, however, I didn't have a single problem working with it today. 

Wanna know the secret?

I was working on plain white cotton fabric (men's white cotton handkerchief).

I chose a nice thick needle (size number 1) with a short but wide eye for embroidery.  (Was going to use a needle with a longer eye, but this was perfect.)

I used a sliver DMC Craft Thread (number 6283) (FYI: Gold DMC Craft Thread is number 6282). 

I took just slightly larger stitches than I normally do, still using a stem stitch.

It was soooooooo easy, I am ashamed that I put off using this in embroidery because of the bad vibe I was getting... but this kicks it!   Don't be afraid to try something new...

I think the key really is the thick needle... it pushes the warp and weft of the fabric away so that the thread passes through like a breeze!  KILLER COOL! 

I will post a photo of this work soon, I've put in way more than 25 hours into this little piece I've been working on, and it's almost finished... CAN'T WAIT!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008 10:57:49 AM by BeatnikChick » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Human rights are for EVERYONE.  Did you know that Aung San Suu Kyi had been released from house arrest in Burma? Many other prisoners of conscience are still being detained.  Please research this topic... Amnesty International needs your help.
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008 10:13:42 PM »

I'll have to try your method. Thanks for the postive about metalic thread! I can't wait to see your work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

UrsulaDiamond
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008 04:23:53 PM »

i use DMC metallic hand embroidery thread and i've never had a problem! it doesn't come in too many colors but i've seen gold, red, green, black and silver
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BeatnikChick
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008 07:29:21 PM »

i use DMC metallic hand embroidery thread and i've never had a problem! it doesn't come in too many colors but i've seen gold, red, green, black and silver

Yeah, go figure?!  I was all worked up about everyone complaining about it, and it was killer easy!?  hmmmm wonder what the issues are?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Human rights are for EVERYONE.  Did you know that Aung San Suu Kyi had been released from house arrest in Burma? Many other prisoners of conscience are still being detained.  Please research this topic... Amnesty International needs your help.
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008 08:50:29 AM »

For me it's a pain to thread first off, then it gets bunchy and the stitches don't look clean. I'm sure it's the stitch that I am doing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008 10:26:27 AM »

Thanks for the needle advice!  I tried it once and my biggest trouble was it shredding my fabric (muslin).  I felt like I was embroidering with razor wire.  However, a fat needle makes sense to help avoid that, as well as longer stitches - mine were very close together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy: http://suddenlytaxidermy.blogspot.com/
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/themistresst
http://www.etsy.com/shop/BubbleOffPlumb & http://www.etsy.com/shop/GreatBigBeautifulDog

2013 Projects Completed: 61
'14: 42 (at least)
'15: 7
scorch

...now i know what evil tasts like...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008 04:04:15 PM »

great advice!!
the larger needle makes so much sense Roll Eyes.
i think my problem is that i was using cheap-o metallic threads. they would split, get all bunchy and knotty or was like 'razor wire' (good analogy..it's so true)
 i've just started doing embroidery and i wasn't sure if i was going to like it... now that i'm totally addicted, i'm going to invest in some good thread...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sonjabegonia
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008 02:54:51 PM »

Hmmm, I'll have to try the metallic thread again.  It's been a long time since I've used it and the primary reason I gave up is that it would knot up quickly and break off occasionally.  Sounds like I need to buy better quality thread1 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Etsy - www.etsy.com/shop/OCCASIONsonjabegonia

Facebook  - www.facebook.com/occasionsbysonjabegonia

Tumblr - sonjabegoniach.tumblr.com
BeatnikChick
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008 03:35:23 PM »

great advice!!
the larger needle makes so much sense Roll Eyes.
i think my problem is that i was using cheap-o metallic threads. they would split, get all bunchy and knotty or was like 'razor wire' (good analogy..it's so true)
 i've just started doing embroidery and i wasn't sure if i was going to like it... now that i'm totally addicted, i'm going to invest in some good thread...

One other thing is I didn't pull my thread incredibly tight, that helped with it not snapping too... I tried to re-thread my needle once and it did snap the metallic thread in the strand, but after that, I re-threaded the needle again kept my stitches just taught enough and it worked like a charm!   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bookwormbethie
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2008 09:38:49 AM »

Thanks for all the tips, I'll finally be able to make use of them.  I think what I bought was mtallic thread, I bought DMC Pearlescent Effects  E3747.  It's such a nice light sparkly blue.  Although the ends are a wee bit frayed, it looks like I could divide the threads, I think there are 6 total.  I bought the Aunt Martha "Eskimo Cuties" pattern at my local fabric store today and I though that the sparkly blue would look great for her igloo and ice. 

Question:  Do the Metallic Threads and Pearlescent Effects wash well?  I've washed & dried other projects I've made with DMC embroidery floss and everything has come out great.  How do the metallic threads and pearlescent effects hold up?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Making Hand Made Chocolates in 1953
How to Make Sweet Nachos
Egg Custard Tarts Recipe
Chef Makini Howell Makes Stuffed French Toast
Chef Zac Young Makes Monkey Bread
Latest Blog Articles
Eggs? Eggzactly!
Meatless Monday: Kale Yeah!
@Home This Weekend: Lamp Transformation

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...