A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 298,758
Currently Running With Scissors:
422 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Question about sewing seatbelt webbing  (Read 4311 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

luckyduck29
« on: April 21, 2008 09:11:46 AM »

I was just wondering, what type of machine would be good for sewing material like seat belt webbing? I have just a regular sewing machine and I read that a commercial grade sewing machine would be better suited for that type of material. Can anyone offer a more clear suggestion? Thanks in advance.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
little me
Little Me Crafts

Enjoy Life's Little Pleasures

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008 01:42:29 PM »

A basic sewing machine would not work. You need something that can handle VERY THICK material. An industrial machine would sew it w/no probs. Even w/using a GOOD machine, you need the right kind of sewing machine needle/thread & check your tension, or you will end up very frustrated. This doesn't really help, but that's as much as I know from sewing thick fabric. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sewpink
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008 04:19:30 PM »

just wondering what you were making - here's a great purse tutorial - http://www.twofoos.com/crafts/sp.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

luckyduck29
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008 09:56:36 PM »

just wondering what you were making - here's a great purse tutorial - http://www.twofoos.com/crafts/sp.html

Yeah I saw this tutorial the other day and I was considering making one similar to that.

What is considered a decent industrial sewing machine?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fizzgiggly

Women who behave rarely make history

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008 04:50:20 PM »

I have made that bag.  Several of them, actually.  For a single or double thickness of the webbing, my regular old sewing machine was fine.  When I got to the top piece and the handles, I needed to switch to my industrial machine.  It had no trouble with the webbing.  I also make dog collars so I figured it would. Smiley

As for what type of industrial machine, I personally would recommend seeing if you can find an older model via craigslist or the like.  I purchased a Singer industrial machine from the 1960s and I love it (mine's a model 188K).  I call her Belinda. Smiley   I had looked at "heavy duty" singers in the local sewing shop, but the salesman even told me that Singers weren't made as well as they used to.   Plus at $150 old Belinda was a steal.  (Although she does sound like a truck and shakes the floor when I turn her on).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpottedFrog
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008 06:38:46 PM »

As the above said- there are plenty of home models capable of heavy duty sewing, many older ones with all metal gearing are fully capable without the heavy duty tag on them. My mom sewed leather backpacks on her 40's era Elna- that thing is a tank Smiley Even better about those machines is many 50's & 60's era machines are pretty cheap, usually under $100.

I just recently upgraded as my older machine was showing signs of wear and simply not up to the heavy duty stuff that I do. I found myself primarily shopping quilter oriented models as they are more heavy duty than regular machines produced today. I did shop true commercial machines, which was like test driving race cars, but I need a buttonhole function & zig zag, among a long list of wants.  I also spent a lot on my machine, I sew enough & the hubby was willing Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
quiltgrl
fabric addict

Faaaabulous!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008 02:02:24 PM »

Having a walking foot for your machine will help, but with the right needle, tension, and stitch length any machine should be able to handle ot Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

luckyduck29
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008 07:39:11 AM »

Thanks for all of the helpful responses!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Blastus from Robotomy
How to Draw the Pirate Captain
How to Draw Alex Form Madagascar
How to Draw a Leopard
How to Draw the Tooth Fairy
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...