A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,053
Currently Running With Scissors:
583 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Labyrinth and The Who  (Read 3177 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thankyoulocust
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« on: April 21, 2008 07:40:58 AM »

Ok, these are both birthday presents for my sister's kids. 

This one is for my niece.  She turned 3 last week and since my sister and I are both huge Labyrinth fans, I proposed a Jareth shirt to my sister and she, of course, approved.  I dyed the shirt orange, then did the stencil in bleach and bleached out most of the rest of the shirt, leaving orange on just the middle part. 

Close up:

And this one is for my nephew.  He turned 10 this month!  His dad has been teaching him to play the guitar and he likes Pete Townshend.  My sister bought him an original print of Pete Townshend doing an air split while playing a show (as a Christmas present), so I thought he'd like this.  I dyed the shirt brown and then did the stencil in bleach.  I wanted to frame the main image out, but I wanted to do it in a deconstructed kind of way.  I think the end result looks almost like tape holding up a poster.

Pete:

Lettering:

As always, thoughts, questions, and comments are welcome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Yeah we don't take orders well.  Unless they're to get on the dance flo'.  Or raise the roof.  Or make some NOIZE...with a Z!"
Solipsist87

I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008 07:51:29 AM »

Awesome! My roommate LOVES David Bowie in that movie, so I might hijack your idea and make her something. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is one big road with lots of signs. So when you riding through the ruts, don't complicate your mind. Flee from hate, mischief and jealousy. Don't bury your thoughts, put your vision to reality . Wake Up and Live!
-Bob Marley
lostinwonderland
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008 07:56:53 AM »

Grin greaaaaaaaaaaaat bowie shirt!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy: aog Crochet
CreativeChick8

www.soundwavejewelry.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008 07:58:30 AM »

I love labyrinth! He has a great part in it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ViciousEdge
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008 07:59:12 AM »

Ahhhh! I want a Jareth shirt! I love it.  Grin Great wording choice, too!

I also really like your tape frame! It looks rad. Great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay!
dmbgirl41
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008 08:09:35 AM »

AHhhhh I love the Bowie shirt! (Labyrinth is one of my all time favs!) How cute are those kids gunna look! yay! great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*~Sweet you Rock & Sweet You Roll~*
thankyoulocust
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008 08:42:43 AM »

Thanks guys!!  I love Labyrinth forever!  I really want to make one with the little worm and it could say "Allo.  Would you like to come in for a nice cup o' tea?" but I gotta find a decent picture of the worm to "stencilize".  Ludo is mine and my 4 yr old son's favorite character so I'm gonna try to make a Ludo shirt for him sometime soon.  Also, I forgot to mention that I got the David Bowie stencil from stencilry.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Yeah we don't take orders well.  Unless they're to get on the dance flo'.  Or raise the roof.  Or make some NOIZE...with a Z!"
dez-igns
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008 09:21:31 AM »

those are so cool!! the labrynth is the best movie ever and I have an obsession with david bowie!! great job! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So you, could spend the morning walkin with me, quite amazed. As I am unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed.
http://www.dezignsforkidz.etsy.com
ConfusableBlonde
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008 09:59:36 AM »

Awesome! How do you do a stencil with bleach without it running? Will freezer paper work and then just brush on the bleach?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thankyoulocust
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008 12:28:53 PM »

Awesome! How do you do a stencil with bleach without it running? Will freezer paper work and then just brush on the bleach?

Everybody kind of has their own method, but if you look here:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=215966.msg2322420#msg2322420

I explain how I do mine.  Don't forget that if you're doing a bleach stencil, you do the opposite of a painted one.  You'll have to cut out the light areas instead of the dark ones and you usually have to do some kind of halo or outline around the finished image or else it'll be free floating and look all weird.  In that link, you'll see what I mean by the outline.  I didn't have to do it on the Pete Townshend shirt because it didn't need it to look "done", but sometimes it's necessary.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
White Manis and the Best Colors to Try
Reasons Why You Should Get More Beauty Sleep
The Latest Celebrity Workout Craze
How to Wear Your Makeup Poolside
One Direction Nail Polish and Make-Up Lines
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...