A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,380
Currently Running With Scissors:
504 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How Do I Close This Clasp?  (Read 616 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

angelwing75
« on: January 29, 2005 04:54:55 PM »

How does this clasp close?  I'm confused.   Huh

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ayn
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2005 05:53:44 PM »

Hi there -- I've used clasps similar to that for my own necklaces in the past (big size clasps though --  good for ancient cranky hands/fingers like mine!).

This is really just a big hook-and-eye type clasp.  I like mine to go with the hook side flat against the neck -- the hook sticks upward -- and then the 'eye' or open-ring part slips over the hook -- exactly as you have it pictured.

Depending I suppose on the overall size of the clasp (and-or possibly also the size of the hook or how far it sticks out), I've also seen people wear it sort of the opposite way ... ... that is, with the hook down against the neck instead of facing upward.  I'm trying to picture how a clothing hook & eye clasp is usually sewn on ... think it goes with the hook *down* ...  right?  If so, that may be why you're a bit confused.

Only thing I've found with this style is that sometimes it can slip apart quite easily -- rather more easily than, for example, a bra hook-and-eye.  To help prevent this & make the closure a bit more secure, I might use pliers (tips wrapped with soft cloth or masking tape) to gently press the hook down a bit from the back curve along the length of the hook to its tip. However, a hook that's too 'closed' can result in the wearer having to tug too hard to get the eye over (or under) the hook, which puts the whole clasp and also the crimps, knots etc under strain.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2005 05:56:10 PM by Ayn » THIS ROCKS   Logged
angelwing75
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2005 09:33:50 PM »

Thanks so much, Ayn.  I think I need to pull the hook part out some because the pieces weren't fitting together and that's probably why I'm so confused!  I appreciate the help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ayn
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2005 10:19:36 PM »

You're very welcome, Angelwing75.  Hmm ... I always needed my hooks like that more closed, you need yours more 'open' a bit ... nothing's evvvver easy is it?!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...