A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,574
Currently Running With Scissors:
703 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: muffin recipes needed!  (Read 1183 times)
Tags for this thread: muffin , recipe  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

artsypansy
« on: January 29, 2005 01:28:50 PM »

After being a huge fan of Atlanta Bread Company's delicious chocolate chip muffin tops for many years, I bought myself a muffin top pan. Eager to create some tasty muffin tops I went online in search of a recipe.  I found a recipe and followed their directions, but my poor muffin tops came out rather dry.  In another attempt I used the recipe I found for chocolate chip muffins on Ghiraradelli's website.  Unfortunately, these muffins turn out like cookies rather than muffins.  So yet in other words, I am in great need of a good recipe for chocolate chip muffins (or any other kind of scrumptious muffins anyone can recommend).
Please help me! I'm sure there are plenty of good recipes out there, and any help in finding them would be appreciated! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
emilytate
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2005 08:17:30 PM »

I know this is way late - AND not a chocolate chip muffin recipe! but, these are the best muffins i've ever had, and they're EASY! parentheses are things i do differently, or that i add-

Oatmeal Apple Muffins

INGREDIENTS
1 cup & 2 tblsp quick-cooking oats
1 cup buttermilk (1 cup milk)
1 tsp. vanilla (2-3 tsp. vanilla)
1 cup sifted flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tblsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon (1-2 tsp cinnamon)
1/2tsp nutmeg
1/4 cup coarsely-chopped walnuts (1/4 cup coarsely-chopped pecans)
1 tart, unpeeled apple, grated
1 large egg
1 cup firmly-packed brown sugar
1/4 cup melted butter
(i generally throw in a splash of apple juice, depending on how flavorful the apples i'm using are!)

-Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
-Combine vanilla, buttermilk, and rolled oats. Set aside.
-In another bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add nuts and apple.
-Beat eggs, add brown sugar & melted butter, mixing well.
-Combine oatmeal mixture and egg mixture. Stir well.
-Add flour mixture and stir just until flour dissapears.

-fill greased muffin tins 2/3 full.  (I sprinkle a mixture of cinnamon and sugar over the top before i cook them - like a glaze, kinda, it makes them even sweeter on the outside!)

-Bake 15-18 minutes.

i LOVE it when i can cook without a mixer - this is one of those recipes that doesn't make your arm too tired if you're using a whisk (and is SUPER easy with a mixer!) ----- the muffins are just as good cold as warm, and are SUPER SUPER moist because of the apples! TASTY!

hope this helped... .even if it was a few months late.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom."
-anais nin
trufflegirl

chocolatiere extraordinaire

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005 09:03:31 PM »

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Muffins

(from my website, http://www3.sympatico.ca/anne.whitcombe/cookbook.html --- see the website for more muffin recipes!)

I used to bake these so often that I had the recipe completely memorized! You can subsitute whole wheat for the all-purpose flour, and/or bran for the oatmeal if you want to vary the recipe a little. Good however you make them!

375F / 20 minutes / 12 large muffins

1 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
5 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
1 c. white sugar
1/3 c. chocolate chips
1 1/4 c. oatmeal
2 eggs
1 c. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. vegetable oil

Mix in the food processor. Fill muffin cups 3/4 full and bake!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. --- Dorothy Parker
Pokemom
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2005 03:23:29 AM »

I was liking the sound of these muffin recipes and then I decided to check out Trufflegirls' website.  OMG I'm laughing out loud at the 1877 book excerpt.  I love this little home remedy:

"To Restore From Stroke of Lightening.  Shower with cold water for two hours; if the patient does not show signs of life, put salt in the water, and continue to shower an hour longer."

And after 3 hours you might want to try an alternate therapy. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
trufflegirl

chocolatiere extraordinaire

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2005 04:24:10 AM »

Hehe! I'm glad you liked the recipes and the home remedies. The cure for death by lightening has always been close to my heart, because my grandmother was actually struck by lightening once, years before I was born. To my knowledge, they didn't have to resort to cold, salty showers in her case, though!

(In Gail Anderson-Dargatz' novel A Cure for Death by Lightening, the historical cure to which the title refers actually involves turning the victim upside down and dunking him or her in a rain barrel, and again recommends the addition of salt if the water alone isn't adequate. I think I'd prefer the cold shower to the rain barrel...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. --- Dorothy Parker
thommoose
Moose

mind if I borrow your light green Sharpie?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2005 07:28:48 AM »

Just a quick addition here- sorry if it's late or outta place---
One of my favorite things to do is to tweak or mod recipes that I like (or have the stuff for, or just plain feel like messin' with) so get them more into what I want the outcome to be...  I'm a baker at heart- and a geek by trade- so you can understand where I'm comin' from:
When something baked (like a muffin) comes out too dry, and the coloring on it is right (meaning I haven't overbaked the poor dear thing) then I fault the recipe and change it up:
Ingredients to substitute to add moisture back into a baked item:
white sugar (dry) - lt. brown sugar (not as dry) - dk. brown sugar (moist) - molasses (very moist)
"regular" unbleached flour (dry) - "whole" flours (not as dry) - cake flour (moist)
egg whites (dry) - whole eggs (not as dry) - egg yolks (moist)

That's the basic arsenal for baked things--- I never get rid of ALL the whole eggs--- usually will replace half of them w/2 yolks each- (4 eggs = 2 eggs + 4 yolks)- And I'm not a fan of the "nutty" flavor molasses can impart on things, so I usually draw the line there...  But cake flour has been an answer to many a tough one--- some things just need that finer milling- especially when it comes to something like a muffin, where overmixing IS the enemy...

Just thought I'd share...

Oh--- and if you're so inclined, take a look at Cookwise (Shirley Corriher- I LOVE this lady so much!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"...those that matter do not judge and those that judge do not matter..."  -unknown

"Can I do this? Or do I look like some sort of gay superhero?" - Sterling
WhimsyLisa
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2005 07:42:40 AM »

I'm not entirely sure, but I have a hunch that part of the problem with the muffins being dry may have to do with the muffin top pan itself. Since they are so shallow, they're going to be apt to dry out much faster when baking. The other thing that is a common problem with muffins is over-mixing the batter. That can create a stiff, heavy muffin.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
artsypansy
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2005 05:21:29 PM »

wow! thank you all so much! i had forgotten about this post and what a surprise i got. thanks and i will have to get those pans out again and keep trying what you suggest.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewcherry

I live for LOST...go HOT doctor GO!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2005 02:04:40 AM »

Cheat recipe for yummy blueberry orange muffins with crunchy top

yellow cake mix
and all the stuff you need to make the batter

blueberries fresh or frozen
2 tbsp flour
orange zest about 1tbsp
coffee sugar or raw sugar

Handmix the batter but use only 3/4 reqired liquid
set asside.
take the bb's and toss the flour around them.
fold bb's and  zest into the mix.
spoon mix into muffin tins and then top with raw sugar.
bake till tops are golden brown.

sooooooo yummy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

when life gives you lemons, make lemonade, and add some gin!
KerriedAway

Goldenly Delicious

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2005 02:23:27 AM »

Oh my, i love muffins.  Im so hungry now and I can't wait to try out these recipes when I get back home in a few weeks.  And thommoose, your tips seem very useful.  Clever clever! And a muffin top pan? Thats pretty exciting, ive never seen one.... dear sweet muffin tops...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the ravens and the seagulls push each other inward and outward
inward and outward
in this place that i call home
my brain's the cliff, and my heart's the bitter buffalo
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Robert Pattinson Talks About Twilight Wedding
Larry The Cable Guy at Cars 2 Premiere
Bree Williamson on the Changing of the Film Industry
Behind the Scenes of Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
Watch, Pass or Rent Movie Review: The Ides of March
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...