A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,144
Currently Running With Scissors:
358 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Oops! I missed the friday!  (Read 675 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

colorlessblue
« on: April 20, 2008 06:16:44 AM »

This is my 3rd yarn. It's corriedale that I bought white and dyed myself. While I was using the dyes, someone started using the stove, so I had to wait and wait to set them, and they mixed a bit on the bottom of the bowl. I had 3 1oz rovings, and I used the dyes randomly, and got even more randomness from this mixing. At the end, they looked like this:

I spun one of them from end to end, keeping the colour changes (that one only got blue and red; the mixing ate the green and turquoise). I spun the next one dividing in narrow stripes, getting repeats of the colour sequence, and the last one I started spinning from the fold, but it was too difficult. So I divided the roving in several parts and pre-drafted holding 2 pieces together, in opposite directions, to blend more the colours.
Then I plied the 3 singles. I'm really proud of it, as it is my first 3-ply, and it's almost completely even. I plied only about half of the singles till now, and got 41m.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'd rather be a climbing ape than a falling angel."
Terry Pratchett
http://colorlessblue.blogspot.com/
cloudlover

I should be spinning...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008 10:14:24 AM »

I love the yarn and the roving!  The yarn looks nicely balanced (funny how all those once-obscure fiber phrases become part of your usual lingo once you start spinning!) I LOVE the roving- I have an obsession with those colors together!  Be sure to post pics once you spin it!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

colorlessblue
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008 10:31:46 AM »

I spun - that roving made that yarn. All the drafting and blending and the plying mixed the colours so much you can't see much green or turquoise. only in certain areas, where one of the strands is lighter.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Terry Pratchett
cloudlover

I should be spinning...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008 12:36:48 PM »

I spun - that roving made that yarn. All the drafting and blending and the plying mixed the colours so much you can't see much green or turquoise. only in certain areas, where one of the strands is lighter.

I'm finding that same thing happens a lot with handpainted roving.  It's weird/frustrating/interesting because I look at roving and think it's going to turn out one way, but then it's something completely different when spun up- depending on the method of spinning.  It's really made me start to question how each roving/batt will look best- as singles or plied?  I think the painted rovings end up making the best singles, unless they are really bold and have lots of contrast.  If they are all the same tone, they end up losing that punch when plied.  Which isn't a bad thing, but it always seems to turn out different than I imagine it.  I guess that is what test-spins are for.  So much to learn!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

colorlessblue
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008 12:47:57 PM »

That's one of the reasons I'm looking forward to Brooklyntweed's series about spinning (he already posted the first part). I've been learning a lot just from looking at his photography on flickr. He always shows what roving created what yarn, and that kind of thing helps a lot. I've noticed from looking at others' handspun that I have clear preferences, and that sometimes the marvelous batts that I see in etsy wouldn't give me yarn that meets my preferences. That is not to say they wouldn't make marvelous yarns according to someone else's, and indeed they do. Right now, I'm having a pigeonroofstudio fetish. Maybe it's because Krista dyes in colourful patches, leaving areas without colour, but I'm yet to see one handspun yarn made from her rovings that I dislike.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Terry Pratchett
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Make Sweet And Spicy Chocolate At Home
Chocolate Chip Cookie Milk Shots
Pancake Recipes for National Pancake Day
Why Are People Clamoring For The Polish Pastry Puczkis?
How to Make Fannie Farmer’s 1896 Brownies Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...