A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,508
Currently Running With Scissors:
477 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: thinking about buying a serger -- i have questions  (Read 2154 times)
Tags for this thread: serger  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lindseycore

cat lady till the day i die.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: April 19, 2008 10:09:31 PM »

hey everyone, i'm really sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but this is the best i can think of.  i'm thinking about buying a serger but don't sew nearly enough to justify it.. but i don't sew enough because i am not patient enough to be able to sew knits very well.  i think if i could sew knits easily and quickly and have a more finished looking seam i'd be much more inclined.  i did a search on craigslist and came up with this:

WHITE Super lock serger - $50

MODEL # 503 W-1, In great working condition, has all the parts,cover, & cord.Will probably need a tune up < spools of thread included.B/O welcome.

my questions are:
a. does anyone know anything about this model?  i tried a google search but really didn't find much.
b. does anyone know approximately how much i might pay to have a serger serviced?  i know it would obviously depend on if there are any major problems with it, and that different people in different areas will charge different amounts... i'm just looking for a ballpark figure here.
c. i honestly have barely even seen a serger in person (mostly just walking by the displays at joann's) let alone even tried using one.  is it hard to pick up?  or is it something that comes fairly easy, already being familiar with a sewing machine?

i mean, i figure, hey, they're asking for $50 or best offer.  if i can offer $40 and get it checked out for $50 and have a decent serger for under $100, i'd most likely go for it.  but i don't want to waste my money on a machine that's not worth it, or something i won't use much.

thanks in advance, crafty friends.  Smiley
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008 10:10:01 PM by lindseycore » THIS ROCKS   Logged

what i have made: flickr
what i am making: ravelry
what i want: wist

i love personal swaps, especially for handspun yarn
SpottedFrog
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008 11:14:22 PM »

Sergers run about $10-20 more than sewing machine service on average, so if your local shop charges $40 for a sewing machine expect a serger tune up to be $50+.

Serger doesn't automatically mean you will sew knits better, they have their pros & cons. The right sewing machine will sew knits better as well.

How comfortable are you with sewing really fast? That is the big thing with sergers is they are much faster than most machines, some people hate that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
de_sjiem
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008 05:40:05 AM »

I paid about $75 to have mine serviced.  I paid about $65 for mine (so $140 overall).  The place where I brought it to be serviced seemed to think I still got a good deal on it. 

Depending on the amount and quality of thread it comes with that is definitely another bonus.  Good serger thread isnt really super cheap (but it can last a while...) 

Also try and see if it will go slow... mine will, which is good..  (I have a brother... )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
auroraskye

i'll make it to the moon if i have to crawl

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008 10:06:10 AM »

okay apparently there is the 'old' 503 white superlock and the 'new' one.

Links that sell things including instruction manuals:
old: http://www.sew4less.com/sitemap_products.php?BrandID=85&ModelID=1557
new: http://www.sew4less.com/sitemap_products.php?BrandID=85&ModelID=2533

I would guess the one being sold is the old one.

Is this a 3 spool or 4 spool?
I am guessing the old machine is around 20 years old. I have a serger that is 20-25 years old that I got for free and it works like a charm.

Here is an older White Superlock on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/White-Superlock-Serger_W0QQitemZ140224767128QQihZ004QQcategoryZ71223QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem I can't read the number on the picture, but it's 50? So perhaps a 503 since from my google it appeared to be a popular model.

Looks like it's only a 3 spool machine. So keep in mind, this serger doesn't look exactly like new ones, but it should do the job if you learn how to use it.

Good luck.
If you want to google it search for "White Superlock 503". White is the brand name.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lindseycore

cat lady till the day i die.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008 03:05:02 PM »

okay apparently there is the 'old' 503 white superlock and the 'new' one.

Links that sell things including instruction manuals:
old: http://www.sew4less.com/sitemap_products.php?BrandID=85&ModelID=1557
new: http://www.sew4less.com/sitemap_products.php?BrandID=85&ModelID=2533

I would guess the one being sold is the old one.

Is this a 3 spool or 4 spool?
I am guessing the old machine is around 20 years old. I have a serger that is 20-25 years old that I got for free and it works like a charm.

Here is an older White Superlock on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/White-Superlock-Serger_W0QQitemZ140224767128QQihZ004QQcategoryZ71223QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem I can't read the number on the picture, but it's 50? So perhaps a 503 since from my google it appeared to be a popular model.

Looks like it's only a 3 spool machine. So keep in mind, this serger doesn't look exactly like new ones, but it should do the job if you learn how to use it.

Good luck.
If you want to google it search for "White Superlock 503". White is the brand name.

thank you, you must be a better googler than me because i wasn't able to find much.  i'll check out the links.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

what i have made: flickr
what i am making: ravelry
what i want: wist

i love personal swaps, especially for handspun yarn
thewritegirl
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008 03:14:58 PM »

I just got that exact model a couple of weeks ago. It is definitely older, and it is the 3-thread one. I bought it from a fabric shop that had taken it in on trade or something, and I paid $60. It runs great, they probably fiddled with it when it came in, so I didn't get it serviced at all. I'm kind of like you - a newbie sewer - and I've just always liked the idea of a serger. So, I really don't have any experience with any other sergers, but it seems to be that for a beginner, this is really all you need. It does a good job and it's cheap - what more can you ask for?!? The 3-thread thing doesn't bother me. If anything, it's a little easier to thread (only a little, though!!). You will definitely want to get one of those long wire threader thingies if it doesn't come with it. That's pretty much all I can think of.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hair Loss Treatment for Men
How to Get The Bump
How to Get Perfect Hair Color at Home
Double Duty Beauty
GirlProps, Soho - NYC, New York
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...