these are some of the desserts we've been making at school....
4/24/08...so this week i had a seasonal fruit project: strawberry and rhubarb...so we have to incorporate that into three desserts, here they are....left to right: lady fingers with strawberry mousse and strawberry gelee, strawberry, and a strawberry-rhubarb and almond yogurt popsicle..
**** i used a rectangle pan but by any means switch it up if you'd like, you can use individual size molds or whatever you have around... first rinse an 8x8 pan with water, don't dry it, line it with plastic wrap, the water will help the wrap stick to the pan, then line it with your cake choice and brush it with the syrup then....
make the mousse.. and finally top it with the gelee
for the cake part of this recipe, i used a ladyfinger sponge, but feel free to use angel food cake, lady fingers, sponge cake.... i soaked mine with a flavored simple syrup, in the pastry world its called a ...dessert syrup:
1 c. water
1 c. sugar, cook until sugar is dissolved, remove from heat and add
1 T framboise.
if you don't have framboise, you can use kirsch or just omit the alcohol all together....Strawberry Mousse
******for the strawberry puree, just puree some fresh and stemmed strawberries in a food processor or blender and strain though a mesh strainer to remove seeds...
19 grams unflavored gelatin
5 oz. water
7 oz. heavy cream
12 oz. strawberry puree
2.5 oz. egg whites
4.5 oz. granulated sugar
1. Bloom gelatin in the water. [[sprinkle gelatin on top of water and let it sit]]
2. Whip heavy cream until medium peaks form, cover and reserve in refrigerator
3. Warm 6 oz. of strawberry puree in a saucepan. Remove from the heat. Melt gelatin in another small saucepan.Add melted gelatin and stir to incorporate, blend in remaining puree.
4. Combine egg whites and sugar in a bowl and set over a double boiler, whisking constantly, Until mixture reaches 145 degrees, transfer mixture to mixer and whip at high speed until stiff peaks form. Continue beating until the meringue has cooled completely.
5. Cool the puree mixture to 70 degrees.
6. Gently blend a third of the meringue into the puree mixture to lighten it. Fold in the remaining meringue until well combined, fold in whipped cream. Pipe or pour into pan, if you'd like
arrange some sliced strawberries on top.. and refrigerate. Strawberry Gelee
.50 oz unflavored gelatin
3 oz. granulated sugar
2 oz. water
1 oz. light corn syrup
5 oz. strawberry puree
1. Bloom gelatin
2. Combine sugar, water and corn syrup in a small saucepan until sugar is dissolved . Remove from heat and add in bloomed gelatin.
3. Stir in puree and strain through a fine strainer...
4. Pour over prepared mousse, refrigerate to set...
****after its set pull it out of the mold and cut into slices and enjoy!!!!! rhubarb soup [cold], kataifi nest [shredded filo dough] and a ball of strawberry rhubarb and ginger yogurt...rhubarb creme brulee with macaroons inside the macaroon is a white chocolate ginger ganachemolten chocolate caketiramisu
the ladyfingers were to thick and didn't absorb the coffee as much as we would
have liked, so we added a coffee gelee up top, and on top of that is a chocolate
macaroon with a chocolate coffee ganache in the middlepraline napoleon
inside the chocolate box is a napoleon filled with a praline mousse, the sauce brushed on the bottom is a coffee sauce, and the little dots are lemon sauce, inside the little chocolate cup is a mocha ganachecaramelized apple cheesecake
this cheesecake has a graham cracker-walnut crust......up top are the caramelized apples and a little marzipan applehomemade marshmallows covered in chocolate, yummy!!!more chocolate molten cake that i made this afternoonhoney peanut cupcakesthree layer carrot cake....super tall and super heavyi didn't make this one, but she's too cute
any suggestions are truly appreciated, thanks for looking