A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,038
Currently Running With Scissors:
402 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TUTORIAL - Easy Peasey way to Set Snaps on a Wallet  (Read 22219 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , wallet  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CheyElizabeth
« on: April 19, 2008 01:43:08 PM »

I've wanted to make this tutorial ever since I posted my Easy peasy snap wallets, and that was a gazzillion years ago.. I'm just now getting around to it! I'm demonstrating on my sister's new princess wallet since she got the first one I made her FILTHY and gross. This isn't a standard way of setting snaps, but its the way I taught myself after trial and error, and its way cheaper than buying a fancy tool. All you need is a hammer!

FYI - There are FOUR parts to a snap, I don't know what they are called, so just go by the pictures to see what part I'm talking about in each step =)

Put the top part of the snap where you want it. Flip over the fabric and press the prongs through. I use a retracted pen to push down the layers of fabric, it works really well.

Line up the next piece on top of the prongs, it'll kinda fit into place easily and won't slide around.

HAMMER! 5 or 6 hammers will do if you're a wimp like me who doesn't know how to hold a hammer..

Fold over the flap and use your pen (or just eyeball it if you're a smarty pants) where the snap should be.

Slide the pronged part under and line it up with the dot, push the prongs through again.

Line up the next piece on top of the prongs.

DO NOT HAMMER THIS!!!!! It will flatten the knob and make your snap NOT snap closed.

Instead, close the snap, very carefully since the bottom two pieces aren't hammered down yet, and carefully flip it over.

Hammer the back of the fabric on top of the snap several times. (fewer times if you aren't a wuss)

And you're done!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eowynt

Not all who wander are lost

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008 01:48:12 PM »

Thanks for the tutorial.  I have been using a spool of thread to hammer my snaps - the pokey part  goes under-into the spool part of the spool. . .  (real articulate, I know!!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One is less than three.
DaisyAlly
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008 01:59:40 PM »

Your wallets were the very first thing I saw and tried to make on craftster. That was also the first time I'd tried those snaps and I was trying to use pliers. -It didnt work out very well. I screwed up so many!  Tongue But this makes much more sense, thanks for the tutorial(s)! Oh and I love the "Do not hammer this" pic with the big red X!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Weddy_in_Paris
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008 02:01:38 PM »

Thank you  lot for this very useful tutorial !
THIS ROCKS   Logged

italianchildhood

Ti canteremo noi cipressi i cori...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008 04:18:32 PM »

Excellent tutorial!
I also really like the "do not hammer" pic--
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://YouCraft.org ... free crafts classifieds
... with lots of cute things listed
jw3280
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008 08:15:47 PM »

Thanks for the tutorial, I bought the snap pliers, waste of money! I have ruin so many snaps with it. I have had trouble also getting the two sides to match.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
T-Unit

Zomg. I <3 You Jack & Ianto

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2008 11:51:27 PM »

DO NOT HAMMER THIS..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

p.s. LOVE the tutorial.!

Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal integrity and being true to yourself. True keys to happiness.

Wist
TryEverything
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008 01:04:23 PM »

Oh thanks so much for this ! I too bought a tool after seeing your previous tutorial and totally messed it up with the snaps totally askew and falling out - I was to scared to try it out again... I looked everywhere on the internet for a tutorial - could not find one... at last I'll try it out again....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FarahAbood
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008 04:02:33 PM »

Dear..

great job..Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

forevryoung
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008 07:58:39 PM »

I bought a special snap plier tool on sale too and it failed me miserably. I have one that holds the 2 pieces together too and then you use a hammer... it doesn't work well either. I've gone through 2 boxes of snaps and only have 2 wallets to show for it  Angry

I'm going to try this method. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Brooklyn Pizza and Egg Cream With Marty Markowitz
How to Make Chili With Chilies
April Fools Steak Recipe
Chicken Chorizo Meatloaf Recipe
How to Make Macaroni and Cheese
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...