A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,023
Currently Running With Scissors:
453 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: baking tricks and substitutions  (Read 820 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

faerieangelchild
« on: April 19, 2008 06:04:08 AM »

Hey everyone!

I've been working on chocolate chip cookies that would be significantly lower in fat and healthier than regular chocolate chip cookies. So far, all I can think of in terms of subbing ingredients are:

1/2 the amount of butter subbed by avocado
whole grain flour instead of regular white flour

Er. That's it so far. I heard of using apple sauce and pureed fruit but those are good substitutes if you are using oil in the batter, not butter. Avocado and pumpkin puree are better for butter substitutes. I don't like using margarine or low fat butter because they tend to be more watery and the batter becomes thin.

If anyone has any suggestions for substitutions. Please, please, please, let me know. It will not go unappreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Re-Vintaged Jewelry

www.BirdcageBohemia.com

Don't get caged in, fly free...
smudgycat
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008 04:05:33 PM »

I've used applesauce for butter in cookies.  It makes the cookies softer and more likely to stick to the cookie sheet, but that's about it.  Still super yummy.

Ground flaxseed can also substitute for either oil or egg in a cake.  Don't do it for both in the same recipe, because it gets really crumbly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've got a handful of vintage patterns up for trade/swap (1950s/60s): Monograms, embellished bags, men's robe, lace work, spats/bags, bell bottom, mod dress.  PM if interested.
Sarabelle_of_the_ball

Create because it matters.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008 06:45:11 PM »

Bananas can be subbed for eggs, but this only really works in cakes/cupcakes/breads, the ratio is 1/2 banana for every 1 egg. You get a really yummy, moist (vegan!) cake if you use banana for eggs, apple sauce for butter and Soy milk for cow milk. Also use soy in the icing and margarine or oil for vegan icing too!

I do quite a bit of vegan baking for not being a vegan myself.

Oh, for your chocolate chip cookies, try cutting down on sugar..most recipes call for WAY too much. I can cut almost a cup out of most of my recipes and they still taste plenty sweet. Also, adding oatmeal and cutting down on flour.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
audg714

WOOHOO for Life

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008 11:58:03 AM »

oooo I love threads like these Smiley  The above are great suggestions.  I use sugar substitutes when I make cookies and some of the popular brands even have a brown sugar substitute that is made with molasses.  I would be careful with the whole grain flour.  The ratios are not the some when you sub one for the other and the consistency changes as well.  I am not sure about the exact ratio.  Lots of experimentation and a friend who is willing to try my latest concoction is always helpful. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
peasoupsays
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008 08:01:45 PM »

Ener-G Egg replacing powder is always a great way to cut out eggs in all baking, just make sure to read the directions for ratios.

I also second the applesauce for butter. I use it in all my pancakes/baked goods.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
faerieangelchild
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008 11:11:41 AM »

I'm confused. After doing some research I keep hearing that applesauce would be a good substitute for oil, not butter. Avocado would be a better substitute for butter. Hmm. I think I'll try it both ways and see. The thing is I'm not trying to create a vegan cookie, just a healthier one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Re-Vintaged Jewelry

www.BirdcageBohemia.com

cinnamon teal
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008 11:31:13 PM »

Regarding subbing whole grain flour for white flour - regular whole grain flour can make your cookies, muffins, biscuits, etc. tough.  Try whole grain pastry flour instead.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

faerieangelchild
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008 05:43:08 AM »

Whole grain pastry flour... that's a good idea. I made the said chocolate chips already subbing avocado for half the butter, whole wheat flour for half the flour, and lowering the sugar a smidgen. They came out good enough and slightly, very slightly gummy. I think that may be because of the whole wheat flour. One surprising thing though is that they stayed soft for days afterwards.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Re-Vintaged Jewelry

www.BirdcageBohemia.com

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Knit Keepsake Bags with a Loom Part 2/5
How to Knit Keepsake Bags with a Loom Part 1/5
How to Knit Homemade Socks with a Loom Part 30/30
How to Knit Homemade Socks with a Loom Part 7/30
How to Knit Homemade Socks with a Loom Part 5/30
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Patriotic Planter
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...