A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,586
Currently Running With Scissors:
513 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 35
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: For Hookers Only Swap [closed!]  (Read 26347 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Bugaboo1
OMG! I should So make that

If I've offended you'll have to get over it

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: May 14, 2008 01:23:53 PM »

I second (or is that third) that! It seems every yarn store around has the word knitting in it, and when you say I crochet they kind of look down there nose at you.  I think its high time the crocheters of the world stand and be counted Smiley

The LYS I frequent the owner is not a crocheter...she knows the basics but doesn't do it herself but never looks down her nose about it. However, the one across town not only looked their  nose down about it,but, talked about me while I was shopping. When I heard her I dropped my stuff and walked out. I refuse to go back if thats her attitude. She's a business person and should act like one, not assume a certain group won't shop there but try and figure out how to obtain their business.

Now a person on one of my local groups is giving a class at that LYS and I have stated sorry I won't join in. I'm not giving my hard earned money to someone that wants to service me in less a manner then another group of people. So if you have a LYS thats not crocheter friendly speak up about it!

The typical attitude is crocheters won't spend as much on yarn as knitters. Not always true but crocheting a similar item as knit takes almost twice as much yarn. So it's more costly for a crocheter to make an afghan the same size and shape as a knitter to do so. There are many willing to spend that price for the better yarn. Crocheting also acts differently then knitting, where in knitting you really can't achieve the look or structure of certain garments using a different yarn, liek if wool is called for acrylic may not be a good substitute to achieve the same final result. Crocheting you have a bit more room there as the stitches themselves can be formed to be more structural making that substitution easier and often cheaper product wise. So thats some times the attitude.

Sometimes though it's just some knitters think all knitters make wonderful sweaters and afghans and crocheters make tp roll covers and tab top towels. So if you have a LYS with an area to sit and knit...bring in a nice item to crochet and give them a visual we don't all make granny squares, cover coffee tins and make tp roll covers, we too can make beautiful garments and afghans and do use better yarns.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Steph
irasema

I'm creative - you can't expect me to be neat too!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #191 on: May 14, 2008 02:02:54 PM »

i have noticed that my LYS has a lot of knit stuff and counted embr. i dont think they offer crochet classes but i could be wrong.
i did go to a yarn shop in MO and i thought it was funny that they had a sticker that said "crochet friendly" so i walk in and they were very nice. i told them i didnt knit just crochet and they were even friendlier about pointing out all the crochet stuff and books. i guess i really havent been to many yarns stores to notice the kitting cliques. i have noticed that there are a lot more knitting books out there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIST | BLOG | pintrest
dont mind me.... i'm rather random
gsdbooks
« Reply #192 on: May 14, 2008 02:45:42 PM »

I went to my favorite yarn shop, unfortunately they are going out of business so I'm really sad about that. We have a group that meets there every thursday, I'm not sure what will happen with that. On the possitive side though because it's closing she has an awsom sale goin on so I got a little carried away with the purchasing part of this swap. I bought more then I needed. I finished my large item and have lots and lots of goodies. I plan  to craft another item as well but I seem to have caught something icky. So, my crafting time has been put on hold.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CrochetAdikt

splish splash i was takin a bath

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 14, 2008 03:40:40 PM »

well, i'm gonna have to take a 2 week break since i'm in michigan visiting family woot! but i have MOST of my stuff done, need to finish 2 more things and i'm set! i wish i coulda gotten it done b/f i left and sent way early but unfortunately, packing and a child and buying a house hindered that. oh btw, for those of you who requested pics, i'll have some a few days after i get back in case you wanna see Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kurtzie
Kurtzie

kitty feet

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #194 on: May 14, 2008 04:50:58 PM »

i'm not at all happy with my medium...it's crooked  Roll Eyes. i have put it away for now, im sure i will redo it ( seems popular in this thread!) but right now i cant bare to even look at it..wimper.

i'm sure its not crooked and I'll love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps, PM me!

My ETSY! Including Hooker on the Go Keychains!
http://LittleGemsbyKari.etsy.com
k-roc
yarnophile

likes stuff

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: May 14, 2008 10:28:38 PM »

That bias shop made my heart blacken for a moment! Luckily my shops are both very neutral, and none have knitting in the name. But I have noticed that when I am working on something on the subway, people who are feeling particularly chatty always ask what I'm knitting. Even the Man asks me what I'm knitting and I have to let out an annoyed sigh. Anyone else feel you are part of an extra super special society? We should start mysterious sects like the stone masons.

Alright I'm feeling silly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I "Wist" you'd stalk me...
http://www.wists.com/ScarlettBegonia

If you're gonna dine with them cannibals, well sooner or later darling you're going to get eaten.
Bugaboo1
OMG! I should So make that

If I've offended you'll have to get over it

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: May 14, 2008 10:36:59 PM »

LOL I once had a particularly manly man ask me what I was crocheting...I looked and responded "how did you know it was crochet?" cause I am so use to people always asking what you're knitting as well. Turns out his grandmother had taught him how to crochet so he knew the difference and chatted with me about it a bit, but, admitted he stopped as a preteen because it wasn't particularly manly anymore. However, his wife gets to enjoy some items his grandma left them...thought that was sweet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Steph
SalutingMagpies
« Reply #197 on: May 15, 2008 01:37:51 AM »

I quite often catch myself saying 'I knitted this' rather than 'crocheted'.
I find people can react as though you're trying to be a bit smart and special by saying you made something yourself, so adding the French name to it just seems to get an even worse reaction.

I'd like to be part of an extra super special society though k-roc!
Unless you're all gonna disown me now because I don't admit I crochet  Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SalutingMagpies
« Reply #198 on: May 15, 2008 01:41:55 AM »

just checking in. i had a very productive weekend. I got started on my mediums, have a bunch of of smalls, and had a baby! That shouldn't set me back though. Wink

Oh, and congratulations kitschkween!! What did you name him?

I really have to catch up, my partner has a baby and still manages to start her mediums?? Mine should be finished tonight or tomorrow.

Also can everybody please send good Ebay thoughts my way? I have a small on it's way that they estimate will take 2 weeks to come  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meganlorraine
-Meg

Do what you like: Like what you do

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #199 on: May 15, 2008 04:04:51 AM »

hey kitschkween congrats! Definitely a busy weekend Smiley And I have to admit, I am all for a secret hooker society Smiley Crochetters need to ban together and deflect the ignorance that is those who do not know what crochetting is!

*steps off soap box*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I need bottle cap earrings with pictures of my kitty. Will swap anything for them!!!!!!

Pinterest- http://pinterest.com/meganlorraine/

I love personal swaps and would love some help making quilt squares. Let me know if you're interested!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 35 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Swimsuit Confidence With the Curvy Girls
Choosing the Perfect Dress For Your Body
How to Liven Up Outfits With Jewelry
Creating a Unique Look by Mixing Skirts and Tops
Shopping For Clothes on a Budget
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto
@Home This Weekend: Celebrate Your State

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...